Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th October 2018, 10:33 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I've been genuinely blown away tonight.

Don't Breathe 2016 is one of THE prime examples of how to do a horror film completely right and also shows that modern horror isn't as bad as people say it is. Thankfully as someone in my 20's I can enjoy both the really, really old stuff, then the stuff from the 70's-90's and now the modern age. I truly pity anybody my age who refuses to enjoy horror films because "its too old". But on the flip side, I really can't stand how people hold up the old days in such high esteem and just immediately dismiss everything that came afterwards. Both have their own screw ups so what's the issue? Why not just enjoy all of them regardless of when they came out, as i'm sure pretty much everybody on this forum does?

I'm going off topic here so back to it: Jesus Christ this is a modern masterpiece not just of horror, but film overall.

Not since The Descent has there been a horror film which has so much tension, claustrophobia or suspense. So basically the three younger characters go to rob this old blind guys house which on paper seems like an easy task. Except it all goes horribly wrong: This guy may be blind but he means business. I don't think its a spoiler to mention that since the back of the Blu Ray basically says so. It completely turns the home invasion sub-genre on its head and makes the inhabitant the threat: and a very sinister one at that. David Hess may be the go to guy to play a bad character for a home invasion movie, but even the characters he plays like Krug and Alex would potentially meet their match here if they broke into this house.

There's only so much I can say, and I don't even want to go into the cat and mouse chase that takes up the majority of the film, along with some other stuff you find out as it goes on. I don't even want to put spoiler warnings in case somebody just decides to say "screw it" and reads it anyway without having seen it.

I've thought carefully about how to rate every film on this list but not this one, it doesn't need a second of thought. 10/10

WATCH this movie, don't look up the major spoilers or what happens: just watch it and have fun.
Old 7th October 2018, 11:21 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Here's what i said about Don't Breathe last December.

Don't Breathe (2016)

This tale of three young burglars who take on more than they bargained for when they try to steal a wad of cash from a blind army veteran.

Merely okay. I felt it would have worked better in a 25 minute slot in an Amicus anthology film as repetition kicks in as we seem to be treading over the same ground throughout - keep quiet and still and hope the blind man doesn't shoot you. It's all fairly derivative and cliche in the way early plot points are laid on thick just so you don't forget them forty minutes later - Ladybirds, anyone?

As for the three burglars? I wanted them dead. Robbing folk, smashing their things, pissing on the floor of their victims. Deserved everything they got and more!

The film poster suggests that this is the best American horror film in twenty years. If it is then God help us!
Old 8th October 2018, 02:35 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Here's what i said about Don't Breathe last December.

Don't Breathe (2016)

This tale of three young burglars who take on more than they bargained for when they try to steal a wad of cash from a blind army veteran.

Merely okay. I felt it would have worked better in a 25 minute slot in an Amicus anthology film as repetition kicks in as we seem to be treading over the same ground throughout - keep quiet and still and hope the blind man doesn't shoot you. It's all fairly derivative and cliche in the way early plot points are laid on thick just so you don't forget them forty minutes later - Ladybirds, anyone?

As for the three burglars? I wanted them dead. Robbing folk, smashing their things, pissing on the floor of their victims. Deserved everything they got and more!

The film poster suggests that this is the best American horror film in twenty years. If it is then God help us!
I thought it was OK nothing special, it is Karma for the guilty, is the sequel still going ahead??
Old 8th October 2018, 02:53 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After watching The Woman in Black, tried to watch the sequel, In a dark office, didn't help, the film was still too dark so decided to watch this.
Flight of The Living Dead 2007.

On a commercial flight to Paris, 3 scientists have a special cargo on board with a armed guard, inside is a body that's been experimented on, handful of passengers and a policeman transporting a prisoner who skimmed a Russian mobster. When the plane hits bad turbulence all hell breaks loose.

This was a decent Zombie flick, OK it does have its stupid moments, but does come with plenty Blood splatter and humour from Kevin J O'connor and Richard Tyson. The story line is entertaining and doesn't go slow, the Zombie makeup is good but some CGI effects were laughable, 7 out of 10
Old 8th October 2018, 01:03 PM
Cult Veteran

I personally loved Don't Breathe, I saw it at the cinema which i think amped up the tension! It was a 4/5 for me!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th October 2018, 01:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Tomb of Ligeia.

After the death of his wife Ligeia, Verden Fell(Vincent Price), has a bit of a breakdown and becomes obsessed with the idea that she isn't really dead and will come back from the grave. and spends his time moping about in black dressed like a undertaker and wearing sunglasses at all times. But then he meets the Lady Rowena(Elizabeth Shepherd) who falls off her horse during a fox hunt and Price gives her a bit of first aid at his creepy old gothic abbey. and eventually he ends up marrying her.

Another superb gothic tale directed by Roger Corman and from another story by Edgar Allen Poe. Vincent Price as usual is excellent as a tormented chap revelling in misery and the macabre, and Elizabeth Shepherd is very good too in the double role of the late Lady Ligeia and Lady Rowena.

Very nice looking film as well that is beautifly shot with a lot of colourful outdoor scenes that are unusual in Corman films, and they show off the english countryside very well. and nice scenes of the spooky abbey and tombs, and a creepy black cat that may or not be possessed by the spirit of his dead wife.

Top notch gothic horror that i award 86.5 out of 100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tomb-of-ligeia.jpg (41.7 KB, 2 views)
Old 8th October 2018, 01:20 PM
Cult Veteran

I've frankly been a bit rubbish this month, tried my best so far and still only watched 5, but 5 films I've never seen before! I've decided to expand my themes a bit and not just watch horror films, but anything with a spooky/witchy element to it as well. Practical Magic or The Craft would be ideal if I hadn't already watched them! Any suggestions in this vein would be welcomed!

I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by The Blood on Satan's Claw when I watched it. It was entertaining and sinister but as I had recently enjoyed the audio drama version with Mark Gatiss I felt it was eclipsed by that stellar performance! Perhaps if I had viewed the film first and the audio drama second it might have been different.

Malatesta’s Carnival of Blood was also a disappointment. I've been excited to watch this for a long while. I was promised a psychedelic headf**k but in reality it was an amateur hour non-story which made no sense and it made HGL seem like a pro!

Summer of 84 is cashing in on the retro nostalgia that Stranger Things has made popular. 4 teen boys, all a bit 'outside' of the cool kids in their school try and gather evidence that the creepy loner neighbour is a serial killer. It's got a great 80's synth soundtrack by Le Matos which owes a nod or three to Carpenter, some complaints have been made that it's a bit dominating and unnecessary at time, there are 40+ cues on the soundtrack album! It's worth a watch for sure, the first 80 minutes building up the tension and nostalgia in equal measures but somehow let down in the last 20 minutes where it changes tone and becomes a different film! Available to digitally rent now, not sure if it's getting a disc release!

Old 8th October 2018, 02:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I personally loved Don't Breathe, It was a 4/5 for me!
It was a 4/5 for me too.

Out of 100.
Old 8th October 2018, 04:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

I've frankly been a bit rubbish this month, tried my best so far and still only watched 5, but 5 films I've never seen before! I've decided to expand my themes a bit and not just watch horror films, but anything with a spooky/witchy element to it as well. Practical Magic or The Craft would be ideal if I hadn't already watched them! Any suggestions in this vein would be welcomed!

I must admit I was a little underwhelmed by The Blood on Satan's Claw when I watched it. It was entertaining and sinister but as I had recently enjoyed the audio drama version with Mark Gatiss I felt it was eclipsed by that stellar performance! Perhaps if I had viewed the film first and the audio drama second it might have been different.

Malatesta’s Carnival of Blood was also a disappointment. I've been excited to watch this for a long while. I was promised a psychedelic headf**k but in reality it was an amateur hour non-story which made no sense and it made HGL seem like a pro!

Summer of 84 is cashing in on the retro nostalgia that Stranger Things has made popular. 4 teen boys, all a bit 'outside' of the cool kids in their school try and gather evidence that the creepy loner neighbour is a serial killer. It's got a great 80's synth soundtrack by Le Matos which owes a nod or three to Carpenter, some complaints have been made that it's a bit dominating and unnecessary at time, there are 40+ cues on the soundtrack album! It's worth a watch for sure, the first 80 minutes building up the tension and nostalgia in equal measures but somehow let down in the last 20 minutes where it changes tone and becomes a different film! Available to digitally rent now, not sure if it's getting a disc release!
You've still got 23 days, no pressure

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 8th October 2018, 05:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
You've still got 23 days, no pressure

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
I'll be in Japan for the last 10 days of the month so I've decided to not sweat it
bleakshaun likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!