Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th October 2018, 08:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Hound of The Baskervilles(1959).

Well made and very entertaining Hammer version of the Sherlock Holmes classic. With Peter Cushing playing Holmes and Andre Morell as Dr Watson.
Who get hired to protect Sir Henry Baskerville after he has inherited Baskerville Hall and it is feared that his life may be in danger from a family curse involving a supernatural hound.

Hammer brings all their gothic elements into this production with nice cinematography and great direction from Terence Fisher.
Peter Cushing does an impressive performance as the great detective with his quick wittedness and no nonsense approach. Andre Morrell also makes a good Dr Watson and is not the bumbling idiot that the character is normally portrayed as. And Christopher Lee gets to play a good guy for a change, with a romantic part as well.

Very enjoyable, with rich atmosphere, especially on the spooky moors 8.5/10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 71LI43+ClfL._SX342_.jpg (39.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 26th October 2018, 08:04 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A fine cast and some innovative and eerie photography ensure The Skull to be in my opinion the best film to come out of the Amicus stable.
I also really rate The Skull.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 26th October 2018, 09:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Who doesn't??
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th October 2018, 10:33 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Who doesn't??
Christopher Lee.

He was happy Wymark nicked it from him. Didn't want it back either. Should have told Cushing something.
Old 26th October 2018, 10:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Ice Queen 2005.

While transporting a frozen fossil, the plane crashes and the creature called Ice Queen awakes and goes on a killing spree.

Was this meant to be a horror? It's more of a bad remake of horror express meets The Thing from another world, the plot seemed OK but the acting was laughable, the costume of the creature looked like she was a biker in a previous life. Never seen a monster close a door after they walked through it and walk like Frank N Furter in New heels, you want a laugh check it out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 26th October 2018, 11:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Ice Queen 2005.

While transporting a frozen fossil, the plane crashes and the creature called Ice Queen awakes and goes on a killing spree.

Was this meant to be a horror? It's more of a bad remake of horror express meets The Thing from another world, the plot seemed OK but the acting was laughable, the costume of the creature looked like she was a biker in a previous life. Never seen a monster close a door after they walked through it and walk like Frank N Furter in New heels, you want a laugh check it out.
I once paid money for this. You are kinder in your words than i was.
Old 27th October 2018, 01:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Enough with the Ice Queen ... we've all been there ...

Jason X

The thing is not to see what you are watching. Try instead to imagine the blizzard of cocaine that inspired this ....

Sorry

That's the Flashdance review.

A bunch of well meaning but widiculously deluded fools reanimate the frozen tundra that is Jsson Vorhees. Then 'upgrade' him. Camp is not the word
A hoot. Recommended. Demon says yes

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 27th October 2018, 05:48 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Enough with the Ice Queen ... we've all been there ...
I haven't

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 27th October 2018, 10:28 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 22nd

The VVitch (2015)

No plot points or spoilers of any kind of this 17th century set film that takes it's cue from New England folk tales.

I truly cannot rate this film highly enough. Superbly performed with brilliant and authentic use of olde-English language and terrific sound design and an often lingering camera technique all come together to create the most unnerving, bordering on frightening, horror film i can remember seeing.

This was my third viewing of The VVitch and it loses none of it's haunting power. Absolutely outstanding.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 24092.jpg (95.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 27th October 2018, 12:56 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Spoiler Warning - Halloween review has loose spoilers.

octoberm201819.jpg
[#19] The Old Dark House
James Whale’s The Old Dark House is inhabited with a bizarre parade of kooks, a family tree touched with madness. A bedridden patriarch presides over his sinister brood, the presentable but cowardly Horace, his sister the uninviting Rebecca Femm, with a sly deafness, played tempestuously by Eva Moore, and Saul the pyromaniac locked up on the top floor, whose wily mischievous intent flashes in glimmers when no one is looking. Boris Karloff plays Morgan, a lecherous alcoholic butler in servitude to the family, but feeling more as if he’s keeping them captive, locked away from the outside world. It’s a film that navigates genres deftly, mixing horror with comedy, without sacrifice. The visuals and sound design meld to create a dread-filled atmosphere, malformed reflections haunt the mirrors, a breathtakingly playful shadow dance gives way to terror, a landslide that feels more a malevolent push to trap traveller and viewer alike, in The Old Dark House.

octoberm201820.jpg
[#20] Scream For Help
Directed by Michael Winner from a script penned by Tom Holland, Scream For Help is surprisingly lacking in notoriety. It’s a film that feels malleable in its structure, starting out as a teen movie quaintly narrated with diary entries by protagonist Christie Cromwell, before changing composition, descending into a darker home invasion framework. The twee teen movie trappings lend a power to Christie’s scandalous discoveries, and in typical fashion no one believes her. There’s a mean spirited streak, one character is dramatically murdered moments after revealing their pregnancy, a sinister swiftness in the succession of events. Scream For Help feels scattershot in terms of inspirations, at times similar in tone to Wes Craven’s The Last House On The Left, just as shocking and taut, without sinking to the same depraved depths, but several elements feel ahead of their time, a precursor to The Stepfather and even Home Alone.

octoberm201821.jpg
[#21] Someone's Watching Me
The lesser known of John Carpenter’s films released in 1978, Someone’s Watching Me is tame by comparison to his chilling masterwork Halloween. Made for TV audiences there’s an understandable restrain. With shades of Alfred Hitchcock’s Rear Window, it literally feels like a reworking in a then modern late ‘70s setting, liberally borrowing mechanics, and even a whole scene. Protagonist Leigh Michaels is imbued with an endearingly kooky sense of humour, personable, skilfully realised by Lauren Hutton. As a viewer it’s hard not to form an attachment to the character, lending further gravity to her situation. The scene where Adrienne Barbeau’s character is keeping watch for Leigh through a telescope, as she snoops around the stalker’s apartment in the opposing apartment complex is suspenseful, and a tense scene where Leigh is hiding under a grate as the suspected stalker walks over is effective, but the sense of menace and dread never quite give way to all out horror.

octoberm201822.jpg
[#22] Halloween (2018)
David Gordon Green and Danny McBride had the unenviable task of taking the reigns of the Halloween franchise, creating something that would appeal to a modern cinema audience and long time franchise fans alike. The result falls somewhere between John Carpenter’s original, and Rob Zombie’s entries, showing occasional glimpses of the mean spirited visceral violence of the latter. The superbly suspenseful motion sensor scene is the perfect example, the build up in tension is evocative of the original, but the mounting on the spiked gate is more in tone with the viciousness of Zombie’s work. The film eschews the sequels, following on directly from the original, forty years later, yet liberally borrows sequences from several of the sequels, homage that will enamour series fans. Carpenter’s score is a boon, but Laurie Strode’s character arc is most compelling, her Doomsday Prepper transformation is a fresh take. The most unforgivable aspect lies not with any franchise ties, but with the fate of the boy who just wants to dance.

Could not recommend Scream For Help more highly! It's such a blast, I hadn't even heard of it previously and it blew me away. I also finished watching The Haunting of Hill House on Netflix, and it's insanely good. I wasn't sure for the first couple of episodes, but from episode 3 onwards it hooked me, and from episode 6 it genuinely felt like something incredibly special. Just spotting some of the spectral apparitions in the background, or in mirrors or glass, often out of focus, it feels packed with secrets, very layered. I really rate Mike Flanagan, and look forward to his Doctor Sleep adaptation. He's come a long way from the crowd-funded Absentia, which I loved too.

Like this? Share it using the links below!