Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2019, 03:33 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 1st.

Halloween Resurrection (2002)

Set three years after the events of Halloween H20. Laurie Strode is in a psychiatric hospital with Michael Myers still on the loose. Although seen as a way to write out Jamie Lee Curtis from the rest of the film and any upcoming movies this opening fifteen minutes is actually the best part of Resurrection. Curtis does well with her few scenes and the final pay off is actually quite touching. The same cannot be said for the rest of the film as events move to Haddonfield, Illinois, and we focus on a group of college students who are to star in an online reality show where they spend the night in Michael Myers childhood home. Unfortunately for them it is the night he comes home.

And so this is where it all begins to unravel and we soon realize this isn't really a Halloween / Michael Myers film after all but a bog standard slasher movie attempting to draw viewers in by using the craze of reality tv as a selling point. Myers adds nothing to proceedings and at times it feels like the Busta Rhymes show. Yes Busta Rhymes the rap star, but from this evidence definitely not Busta Rhymes the actor. Perhaps i'm doing him a disservice here as the script does Rhymes no favours whatsoever, and it's certainly not a prejudice against US rap singers as i thought LL Cool J came over pretty decent in previous film Halloween H20. The rest of the cast, including soon to be Starbuck Katee Sackhoff, Sean Patrick Thomas, Thomas Ian Nicholas and Tyra Banks, unfortunately fair no better although Sackhoff's decapitated head bouncing down the stairs adds amusement value.

Another annoying factor is Resurrection completely ignores anything that happened in films 4,5, and 6, thus effectively making them non-canon. It's difficult to say why producer Moustapha Akkad would do this as they were all his films as well and each one of them a far better proposition than this extremely disappointing effort.

Now the ridiculous thing is, especially having said all that, is i watch Halloween: Resurrection every single October 1st to kick off my October / Halloween Horror Marathon, so i must enjoy the film despite it's obvious and numerous flaws.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_220506_0f2a4d4e.jpg (24.5 KB, 5 views)
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

After their boat has and accident a man and his girl friend set out to get help from a village they spot on the horizon, once they arrive they soon find that the village and the people in it are a little fishy! Enjoyable and some what creepy and at times the people of the village are what you would expect from how the townspeople of innsmouth are described by Lovecraft. But I really couldn't give a flying monkey about the people on the boat. The so called lead was a damp squid. 7/10

A passenger liner is struck by a mysterious vessel that's been following it, seven people survive the disaster and after some time adrift at sea come across an abandoned ship , which unluckily for them is the same one that sank them,it's also possessed/ haunted and has a very negative effect on the captain. While not gory or scary it's highly atmospheric and is help by the great cast. 8/10

Now watching
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:51 PM
Cult Addict

The Fog
A small coastal town is beseeched with strange goings on on the 100th anniversary of its founding. The local priest finds his grandfathers journal and discovers that he was involved in a plot to prevent a leper colony opposite the town.
John Carpenter's classic horror flick is still fantastic to watch, it's been years since I watched it and it absolutely is still a great horror film for me.810hxIU8dHL._SY679_.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd October 2019, 06:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Fog
A small coastal town is beseeched with strange goings on on the 100th anniversary of its founding. The local priest finds his grandfathers journal and discovers that he was involved in a plot to prevent a leper colony opposite the town.
John Carpenter's classic horror flick is still fantastic to watch, it's been years since I watched it and it absolutely is still a great horror film for me.Attachment 219552

Was going to watch it tonight but went for planet of the vampires. The fog is a regular for October marathon now, easily one of Carpenter's best. Just oozes atmosphere.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sweeney Todd: The Demon barber of Fleet Street. 1936.

A barber tells the story of a notorious barber who murdered his clients for their money.

Todd Slaughter has always creeped me out with his portrayal of Sweeney Todd, he had the menacing face expressions of being a gentleman and killer. Filmed in and around London, nowadays it seems outdated but back in the 30s this was a modern day horror drama. Stella Rho plays the baker Mrs Lovatt that makes the big penny pies seems to enjoy the wealth but slowly has a heart. Johnny Singer plays the role of the new apprentice Tobias. It's still a classic to watch from time to time.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:11 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Fog
John Carpenter's classic horror flick is still fantastic to watch, it's been years since I watched it and it absolutely is still a great horror film for me.Attachment 219552

The Fog is always a must and it seems to get better with every watch and as Treb said its overflowing with atmosphere all tied together with an amazing soundtrack
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:33 PM
Cultist in Training

Choose My Bloody Valentine (the original 1981 version) for this evening. Was originally going to watch Hatchet but cannot find the dvd.
Just a good old fashioned slasher flick about a miner who, years ago is trapped underground (with several others) following an explosion. He ends up being the only survivor and goes on a bit of a killing spree. This is set a couple of decades after this tragedy when the 'killer miner' turns up at the town again.
Sorry, trying to keep it vague in case no one has seen it.

Also seen The Fog mentioned above so will have to find a blu-ray of that to order and hopefully get here before the month is up.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:39 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
Choose My Bloody Valentine (the original 1981 version) for this evening. Was originally going to watch Hatchet but cannot find the dvd.
Just a good old fashioned slasher flick about a miner who, years ago is trapped underground (with several others) following an explosion. He ends up being the only survivor and goes on a bit of a killing spree. This is set a couple of decades after this tragedy when the 'killer miner' turns up at the town again.
Sorry, trying to keep it vague in case no one has seen it.

Also seen The Fog mentioned above so will have to find a blu-ray of that to order and hopefully get here before the month is up.
The new Studiocanal release of the Fog is great and pretty cheap. The UHD version is fantastic but a little more pricey.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:47 PM
Cult Addict

I only saw 'My Bloody Valentine' a few years back and really enjoyed it, have you got the American version with some cut gore reinserted?
I thought it spiced the film up a bit although the picture quality drops in these scenes.
I don't know if the U.K one has these scenes or not.

5139cDun5CL._SX342_.jpg

I'm not the biggest slasher fan but i would recommend Rosemary's Killer/The Prowler if you haven't seen it, it's one of my favourites of the genre and has some great bloody effects by Savini.

6a01a3fb7a0449970b01a73decb6b5970d-600wi.jpg

Friday the 13th part 4 - The final chapter is my other favourite.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 2nd October 2019, 07:53 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The UK dvd of My Bloody Valentine is not worth buying.
nosferatu42 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!