Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2019, 02:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Devil Doll 1964.

A ventriloquist using mind control techniques to control his dummy to kill.

This was a bit of a slow burner but does have it's good creepy moments, Bryant Haliday plays The Great Vorelli a stage hypnotist and ventriloquist who uses his mind to control his dummy and plots to get his hands on a heiress fortune. It's very low budget and it's crafted very well with some added suspense when Vorelli and Hugo are on screen and the dummy is given commands. First time seeing this film in a while and would recommend it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Devil+Doll+title.jpg (32.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 14th October 2019, 02:39 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Noted.
I picked it up in that recent Second Sight sale, it was in the four dvd's for a tenner offer.

I also rewatched the first two episodes of The Owl Service. A wonderfully odd eight part series based on the Alan Garner novel for children.

It's as Wyrd Britain as you can get and it's mind boggling that this was actually a children's tv series in the winter of 1969/70.

Dealing with Celtic myth and possession as well as featuring an offbeat sort of love triangle between two teenage boys and a similarly aged girl. I've no idea what sort of sexual awakening teens had watching this back in the day, but seeing 24 year old Gillian Hills (Hammer's Demons of the Mind) pretending to be a 16 year old wandering round throughout episode one wearing only a red shirt then a red bikini in the majority of part two or Francis Wallis in part two wearing the tightest, shortest shorts he could possibly find, must have made interesting viewing for many.

Again this is highly recommended for those who love to delve into the ancient and Wyrd.
Old 14th October 2019, 02:41 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Devil Doll 1964.

This was a bit of a slow burner but does have it's good creepy moments, Bryant Haliday plays The Great Vorelli a stage hypnotist and ventriloquist who uses his mind to control his dummy and plots to get his hands on a heiress fortune. It's very low budget and it's crafted very well with some added suspense when Vorelli and Hugo are on screen and the dummy is given commands. First time seeing this film in a while and would recommend it.
MST3K ruined it for me!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th October 2019, 02:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Devil Doll 1964.

Love this. Probably Lindsay Shonteff's best known film and one of the few with any sort of official dvd release.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 14th October 2019, 03:09 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I also rewatched the first two episodes of The Owl Service. A wonderfully odd eight part series based on the Alan Garner novel for children.

It's as Wyrd Britain as you can get and it's mind boggling that this was actually a children's tv series in the winter of 1969/70.

Dealing with Celtic myth and possession as well as featuring an offbeat sort of love triangle between two teenage boys and a similarly aged girl. I've no idea what sort of sexual awakening teens had watching this back in the day, but seeing 24 year old Gillian Hills (Hammer's Demons of the Mind) pretending to be a 16 year old wandering round throughout episode one wearing only a red shirt then a red bikini in the majority of part two or Francis Wallis in part two wearing the tightest, shortest shorts he could possibly find, must have made interesting viewing for many.

Again this is highly recommended for those who love to delve into the ancient and Wyrd.
Loved this one Might have a re-watch soon, but will probably be November/December now. I'd quite like an Owl Dinner Service too.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2019, 05:16 PM
Cult Master

31 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 13

fractured-netflix-review.jpg

***********************DISCLAIMER***************** *******
I was away from home last night so i had to improvise and i saw this on Netflix more of a Psychological Thriller but enough horror to qualify.

Ray his wife Joanne and his 6 year old daughter Peri are on their way to visit Joanne's family for thanksgiving. This is not a happy road trip Rays marriage is on the rocks and his wife doesn't seem to be too interested in fixing it no matter what Ray tries to do or say. Along the way little Peri's batteries run low in her discman and they pull in to the first rest stop they find. Peri and Joanne head to the bathroom while Ray heads inside to get drinks and batteries when he returns Peri has left something in the bathroom and Joanne heads back in a Ray searches the car just incase. While the search goes on Peri wanders off and comes face to face with a blood covered dog backing away and calling her father she falls down a hole closely followed by her panicked father they both hit the ground hard and when Ray wakes up his wife is already on scene in a frenzy . Peri seems ok just a possible broken arm so they take her to a hospital where things start getting strange. After many arguments with his wife medical staff and doctors Peri gets seen and they are more concerned with any possible head injury so she is taken for a cat scan. Ray heads to the waiting and falls asleep when he wakes up hours later he is confused that he has not been called after his daughter has her scan and he heads to receptions to be informed that his family were never in the hospital. No one is willing to help and Ray must take it upon himself to get answers.

Fractured started off great it has an eerie vibe to it and especially the hospital just feels off their is no doubt something odd is going on. But as the film progresses a lot of the decisions get more and more stupid and cliched. The acting is solid and the situation is terrifying and the it was hard to predict the ending i had a few ideas going around in my head but i was never fully convinced of which way it would go.

Overall it was interesting but as i said a few stupid cliched moments spoiled it for me.

6/10
Old 14th October 2019, 06:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A true classic expertly directed by Hitchcock. You can't help but feel sorry for Norman whom Perkins brings to life with his fantastic performance. 10/10

15 years after a small village kill the local Lord , who has been killing the local children and is also a vampire. A plague has beset the village but that's only the start of their problems when a circus comes to visit , but are not there to entertain but seek revenge for the killing of the vampires all those years ago. 9/10

Now watching

Old 14th October 2019, 07:55 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 14

51o5ZO8RMYL.jpg

A group of archaeologists are investigating and ancient Mayan site when the awaken a blob creature under a volcano. They manage to destroy it but they want to know more about the creature so they keep a sample of it for further research. One of their team that was attacked by the monster starts to go crazy and want to kill the rest of the archaeologists. While all this is going on they discover that a comet is passing close to the earth the exact same comet that passed when the Mayans mysteriously disappears. Was it the blob creature that wiped out the Mayans are they just grasping at straws trying to explain this madness?

The sets look beautiful at the beginning with the smoking volcano looming over the jungle and the massive statues that litter the skyline unfortunately this is short lived when we go back to the city and its all labs hospitals and observatories. To give it that true B movie feel i had to go with the english dubbing and was i disappointed ? Hell no i wasn't it made it even better with over dramatic dialogue and random things just shouted in the background when everyone is panicking for maximum effect this is how to watch it I loved the special effects when the blob monster is attacking yes its obvious the monster is wrecking a doll house but its still a practical effect so that's a win. There are plenty of explosions and fire and some great underwater scenes and most importantly we get to see tons of the monster nothing is hidden when its busting down doors trying to climb laters eating people and multiplying and that's exactly what you want from a monster movie.

7/10
Old 14th October 2019, 08:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Its been years since i last watched From Hell i don't think i even have a copy. I must keep a look out.
It's also been years since I watched this. I re-visited Sleepy Hollow on Saturday night, and on reading Dem's review of From Hell, thought it would be a perfect accompaniment on the Sunday, so watched it last night by candle-light, which provided the perfect atmosphere.
Old 14th October 2019, 09:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Hills Have Eyes 2006.

A family taking a trip to California become stranded in a desert that was once a nuclear bomb testing area become targeted by a group of mutated cannibals.

Alexandre Aja (Mirrors) takes on the role of director of Wes Craven's original horror of fight for survival in the middle of nowhere. Ted Levine (The Silence of the lambs) plays the father Big Bob who wanted to see the desert and got more than he bargained for.

From the start you know it's going to be a mayhem of blood splatter and try to survive a frenzied attack. Aja and co writer Grégory Levasseur done a good job with the characters and making the audience fell sympathy and basically cheering them on, how far can you push a wimp until he cracks up. The make up done a great job capturing the mutation of radioactive fallout effects and good background score by Tomandandy. Not many remakes live up to the original but this one did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images-3.jpg (7.7 KB, 23 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!