Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th October 2019, 09:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Watched the WA blu of FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE yeterday and it looks and sounds amazing.
Just a pity it's the weakest of the Amicus anthologies,the most entertaing parts being Cushing's wraparound story.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 14th October 2019, 10:04 PM
Cult Veteran

American Psycho (2000)

“I’ve gotta return some video tapes”

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 14th October 2019, 11:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Invisible Man 1933.

A scientist managed to make himself invisible while trying to find a cure he goes insane.

James Whale's story on the H.G Wells novel is as dark as the story and some funny scenes mixed in but still a classic to behold. Claude Rains stars as the scientist trying to find a cure. The special effects of the era are done brilliantly with only revealing the top half of the bandage head. It still stands as entertaing and horror.

The Creature from the black lagoon 1954.

A strange creature lurks in the Amazonian jungle and a group of scientist try to capture it for studying.

Aside from being a outdated 50s B movie by today's standards this still remains IMHO a really creepy film even filmed in Black and White it still has it's atmospheric suspense moments and great technical moments of the underwater scenes with the creature swimming under Julie Adams with a good creepy background score added.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (18.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg creature-from-the-black-lagoon-everett.jpg (98.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th October 2019, 04:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A family move into a house in which a group of murders took place the year before. Strange things begin to happen and the husband/farther starts acting strangely and becomes more unhinged as time goes on. A old priest tries to help but the evil of the house is to strong. Well acted and chilling in places.

I do think the whole thing was a big conn by the family who were heavily in debt. 7.5/10

It's not strictly horror but it's has some horror elements too it and it's a pretty dark movie for Disney.

Old 15th October 2019, 06:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 14th

Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers (1995)

Should have been titled The Mess of Michael Myers because that's what it is and is as far removed from Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers as can be, never mind John Carpenter's original. That final shot of Donald Pleasence sticks in the memory as he states he has some business to attend to even if the film doesn't.

Still, it's an easy if daft watch in the run up to October 31st.

Night of the Demons (1988)

On Halloween night a bunch of insufferable college kids hole up at an abandoned mortuary for a wild party. It's not too long before they unleash demons from hell who knock them off in hideous ways.

A reasonable fun film that feels like a carnival house of horror and is mainly let down by Linnea Quigley's stilted and wooden delivery of her lines. There's graphic gore and violence and one or two memorable scenes but it's impossible to take seriously in the fear factor department.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51q94NXxPZL.jpg (33.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 220px-Night_of_the_Demons_poster.jpg (23.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 15th October 2019, 06:57 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 15

PiranhaII-poster.jpg

A love triangle between a scuba diving instructor a biochemist and the chief of police will have to be put on hold and their differences put aside when flying blood hungry homicidal piranha emerge from the wreckage of a sunken ship just off a busy tropical island. The resort manager refuses to listen to what they have to say and goes ahead with the annual beach fish fry fearing a closure could cost him and the island a fortune. Will he regret this decision ? TOO F**KIN RIGHT HE WILL.......... A$$HOLE

I love Piranha so i had high hopes for Piranha II the premise sounds fantastic flying Piranha so there is nowhere to hide well unless you close the door and windows but in a film like this im sure that wouldn't even cross anyone minds so on we go

First off the acting for the most part is terrible most people sound like they are dubbed and not very well. There is some great Gore scenes with plenty of splatter but when the piranha appear you can barely see them its so fast you just hear a flapping sound and tthere is a ton of blood or they are bouncing off windows obviously someone off screen is throwing them at the windows or the sails of a boat

The big problem is when most of the action is happening its night so its very hard to see what's going on just the sound of the wings and the bubbling of water and then its over and done with. The only time we get a real good look at the piranha is when they are on the ship wreck which is also hindered by the cloudy murky water.

A really great fun idea is not executed properly and it really makes me feel sad for what could have been. A bit of daylight would of made all the difference.

5/10
Old 15th October 2019, 07:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The New York Ripper 1982.

A detective is on the trail of a serial killer targeting women.

Slasher horror film by Lucio Fulci, wasn't expecting this to be great even after watching the trailer a man squealing like a duck when he kills hmmm Donald duck is a killer in retired life but was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The acting is decent and even the dubbing is nearly spot on and plenty of good kills. Jack Hedley (For Your Eyes Only) plays the old cop on the hunt for the killer teaming up with psychologist Paul Davis played by Paolo Malco (The House By The Cemetery). Slasher and Fulci fans will enjoy this.

Up next Baba Yaga: The Devil Witch
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yoR0uX8YXjtyRHv48byKYK8nsjg-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg (29.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 15th October 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The New York Ripper 1982.

A detective is on the trail of a serial killer targeting women.

Slasher horror film by Lucio Fulci, wasn't expecting this to be great even after watching the trailer a man squealing like a duck when he kills hmmm Donald duck is a killer in retired life but was pleasantly surprised how good it was. The acting is decent and even the dubbing is nearly spot on and plenty of good kills. Jack Hedley (For Your Eyes Only) plays the old cop on the hunt for the killer teaming up with psychologist Paul Davis played by Paolo Malco (The House By The Cemetery). Slasher and Fulci fans will enjoy this.

Up next Baba Yaga: The Devil Witch
Sleazy duck f***ery = WIN

trebor8273 and MrBarlow like this.
Old 15th October 2019, 07:48 PM
Cult Addict

Damien: Omen 2
7 years after the previous events, Damien is a teenager now and is in military academy, again people start dying in strange circumstances and Damien finally learns he is the son of Satan.
Some really creepy segments and an almost apocalyptic soundtrack from Jerry Goldsmith. It is for me better than the first installment.
220px-DamienomenII.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 15th October 2019, 08:35 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Good choices people!

DAMIEN:OMEN II is a great sequel,as is the underrated THE FINAL CONFLICT.
The deaths of each of the dagger wielding monks are great.Very inventive,especially the 'TV studio-that's a wrap' death

Love Piranha 2-daft as a fecking brush and all the better for it.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!