Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th October 2019, 06:24 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 25th

Night of the Demon (1957)

Happier times and films from Friday evening. Even though i watched the 14 minute shorter American cut of the film with the on screen title Curse of the Demon i really didn't notice that much difference between the two prints.

Superb in, well, pretty much everything really. Atmospheric, suspenseful and wonderfully acted. Occultist Niall MacGinnis (and his beard) ensure this will be a classic horror film until the end of time.

Tourneur might have hated it but that demon is so iconic it hurts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg night-of-the-demon-movie-poster-1957-1010543167.jpg (25.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 27th October 2019, 07:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Night of the Demon (1957)

Happier times and films from Friday evening. Even though i watched the 14 minute shorter American cut of the film with the on screen title Curse of the Demon i really didn't notice that much difference between the two prints.

Superb in, well, pretty much everything really. Atmospheric, suspenseful and wonderfully acted. Occultist Niall MacGinnis (and his beard) ensure this will be a classic horror film until the end of time.

Tourneur might have hated it but that demon is so iconic it hurts.
One of my very favourites.
Old 27th October 2019, 09:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Halloween (2018)

Supposedly following on forty years later from John Carpenter's original Halloween and ignoring every other sequel in a complete series reboot...except it doesn't.

David Gordon Green's Blumhouse production basically steals key scenes from every other Halloween sequel (I include Rob Zombie's films here too), especially Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers and throws them into this frankly piss poor effort.

People visit Myers in his sanitarium prison under supervision of a Malcolm McDowell caricature. (Halloween (2007)) Myers escapes from custody when his prison bus crashes and he kills the rest of the occupants (Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers). Michael then steals a set of car keys from someone locked in a toilet cubicle (Halloween H20), he then kills the occupants of a garage / petrol station (Halloween 4 The Return of Michael Myers), kills two cops in a car (Halloween 5 The Revenge of Michael Myers). There's no point me going on as it will get as dull as the film itself.

The film lacks any sort of atmosphere and fails to be remotely scary or even tense. What it does manage is to be as politically correct as it can be, so much so that it's painful,"I'm so going to dry f*ck you" announces one girl to her beau, whilst introducing all sorts if diverse characters (Which in itself isn't a problem) but then not having a clue how to give them life or give them anything to do. Even Jamie Lee Curtis' Laurie Strode who has seemingly been tortured by grief and guilt for forty years - but somehow turns her house basement into a fortified bunker complete with revolving kitchen unit entrance, you know the sort of thing Terminator's Sarah Connor might do - comes across as so one dimensional you'll be begging to see her play a more sympathetic and convincing version of the same tortured soul in Halloween H20. The whole thing is just so Blumhouse ironic .

If Disney made a Halloween film then this would be it.

And do you know what disappointed the most? The fact i really wanted to fall in love with this film..
How eloquent sir. I thought twas pond SCUM. Women ... Know Your Limits!!!
Ahem.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Last edited by Demoncrat; 27th October 2019 at 10:17 PM. Reason: frezzing phone
Old 27th October 2019, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Itsy Bitsy 2019.

Kara a single mum of two takes a job as private nurse to a elderly man who collects antiques, his new aqquirement has a history with a tribe who worship a god that takes on the form of a spider.

This was actually a decent movie, it's not perfect like Arachnophobia, it does come with its good jump scares, it will start off a bit slow and does get better. There is some suspense scenes that are built up decently. Bruce Davidson character builds up the legend of the tribe not sure if it was the right part for him, Denise Crosby (who has aged well) doesn't seem to have a big enough part, she is good as the sheriff. Worth a watch but keep a open mind.(extra scene after the credits)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg itsy-bitsy-poster.jpg (94.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 28th October 2019, 01:09 AM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 27

MV5BMjkxNDQyMDE1MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjc0NDA2OQ@@._V1_.jpg

Boring pointless trash complete waste of time.
Old 28th October 2019, 09:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Happy Death Day 2017

College student Teresa 'Tree' has to relive the same day of her murder till she is able to solve it.

This was the first time seeing this and thoroughly enjoyed it, may not be great and Groundhog Day meets horror, it is a murder thriller type with a lot of murders on one person and a added element of comedy. There was a small build up to the twist element to the story that wasn't expected with its 90s cliche teen tongue in cheek horror vibe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th October 2019, 12:03 PM
Cult Addict

The Last Broadcast
A filmmaker sets out to discover the truth behind the murders of a cable show crew where the only suspect is a psychic.
Still an interesting watch, cited as being the predecessor to The Blair Witch Project. There is some dodgy acting throughout the course of the film but it was low budget so you can't really complain.
MV5BMTM5Mjg3NjM0OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTE4MDczMQ%40%40._V1_UY268_CR7%2C0%2C182%2C268_AL_.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 28th October 2019, 12:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Happy Death Day 2U 2019.

After wakening up Tree is happy to have a normal day, when Carter's roommate begins to feel De Ja Vu, Tree ends up going back to square one and tries to find why it's happening to her again.

This was a bit different to the first and adds in a bit of science fiction in a way, and adds in the comedy, this time it's a whole new ball game for Tree. The extra characters do have their moments of being entertaining and each time trying to figure out the math puzzles. Somehow the first one felt like it could have been a stand alone film without a sequel but it was enjoyable to watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-10-28-10-24-16-.jpg (8.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 28th October 2019, 12:54 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Happy Death Day 2U 2019.

After wakening up Tree is happy to have a normal day, when Carter's roommate begins to feel De Ja Vu, Tree ends up going back to square one and tries to find why it's happening to her again.

This was a bit different to the first and adds in a bit of science fiction in a way, and adds in the comedy, this time it's a whole new ball game for Tree. The extra characters do have their moments of being entertaining and each time trying to figure out the math puzzles. Somehow the first one felt like it could have been a stand alone film without a sequel but it was enjoyable to watch.
Was really surprised by the first one i have yet to watch this i always felt why and how could they pull off a sequel but it sounds decent.
Justin101, Demoncrat and MrBarlow like this.
Old 28th October 2019, 04:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 27th

Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

Probably my favourite Hammer vampire film. Gone are the subtle sexual subtexts, this is a revenge horror film where the sins of the father might be far greater than the sins of the vampire.

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)

Brian Trenchard-Smith's film is more of the same really. College kids go to eerie mansion for their Halloween party and find it's the lair of Angela and her demonic minions. Superior to the first because the group of teens are better.

I think my main issue with these films is that Angela (Amelia Kinkade) looks far too much like a forty year old woman i used to date when i was in my mid twenties... even in demon form.

Like this? Share it using the links below!