Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th October 2019, 05:06 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Taste the Blood of Dracula (1970)

Probably my favourite Hammer vampire film. Gone are the subtle sexual subtexts, this is a revenge horror film where the sins of the father might be far greater than the sins of the vampire.

Night of the Demons 2 (1994)

Brian Trenchard-Smith's film is more of the same really. College kids go to eerie mansion for their Halloween party and find it's the lair of Angela and her demonic minions.

I think my main issue with these films is that Angela (Amelia Kinkade) looks far too much like a forty year old woman i used to date when i was in my mid twenties... even in demon form.
Old 28th October 2019, 07:27 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A film that proves children are creepy and evil! 8.5/10

Now watching.

Old 28th October 2019, 07:59 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ I go to Guildford Cathedral used in THE OMEN film.
You drive up to the Cathedral as in the movie.
The gold angel on the top of the building is huge. They brought it down a few years ago for restoration so you could get a good close up look.

This is my October companion..

20191027_193114.jpg
Old 28th October 2019, 08:05 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Intruder 1989.

Staff at a superstore working the night shift are being stalked and killed by a unknown assailant.

This is one of those movies that's so bad it's good, a lot of people say night shift can be murder this film takes it to that level. There is some good stars from Sam and Ted Raimi (who seems to listen to the same song) and Bruce Campbell in a small cameo role. Only downside to this film was the climatic ending that seemed to go on for ages once the killer was revealed.
Old 28th October 2019, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Nightbreed (Directors Cut) 1990.

A troubled young man has dreams of a place called Midian and being convinced he is a serial killer he finds the cemetary of Midian and is bitten by a monster and gunned down, is he the prophecy they have been waiting for.

I was gonna wait till halloween to watch it but could't resist based on Clive Barker's novel Cabal, he brings his vision of the city of monsters to life. Craig Sheffer (Hellraiser: inferno) plays Aaron Boone who is wanting to join them. Director David Cronenberg stars as the psychiatrist Philip Decker who can manipulate peoples minds and make them believe what he wants them to believe.

The make up for the creatures is well done as all the charachters have their own personalities and everyone has a different face when they are dead. Robin Vidgeon done a great job with the cinematography and Danny Elfman composed a true great haunting background score. In this version was nice to hear Doug Bradley's own voice and not dubbed over like it was done in the original theatrical version.

Great Introduction by Clive Barker and Mark Miller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Main.jpg (98.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th October 2019, 06:10 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

A hidden gem from Carpenter. When a insurance investigator is hired to find missing horror novelist Sutter Cane. He is thrust into a Lovecraftian nightmare with a bit of King throwing in. One of the best lovecraft type films without actually being based on one of his novels. 8.5/10

When Leland Gaunt comes to the town of Castle Rock and opens an antique store that just happens to have what your heart desires , he sets the townspeople against each other, what we first believe to be a evil and dangerous old man we soon learn he is something for more dangerous and evil that has been a plague on the earth since the dawn of time . 7.5/10

Now watching

Last edited by trebor8273; 29th October 2019 at 06:29 PM.
Old 29th October 2019, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 28th

Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers.

More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter. The many sanitarium scenes with young Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris) were surely an inspiration for both Rob Zombie and his remake not to mention that thing released last year.

Tales of Halloween
(2015)

Ten stories are woven together by their shared theme of Halloween night in an American suburb, where ghouls, imps, aliens and axe murderers appear for one night only to terrorize unsuspecting residents.

It's impossible not to compare Tales of Halloween to Trick r Treat (2007). However whilst that film works a treat (ahem) the same cannot be said for Tales of Halloween.

After a terrific opening half hour with the short stories hitting you thick and fast it suddenly became a bit of a chore to sit through. Visually it's excellent with so many references to horror down the years you just don't have chance to take it all in. Ten stories in a mere 90 minutes is too much and it feels unfocused after around the forty minute mark.

Where Trick r' Treat really shone through for me is the loving way all the stories interconnect with each other and you notice scenes from one story taking place whilst watching another. There's nothing like this here. Some of the ideas used did seem to come from other films such as Jeff Lieberman's Satan's Little Helper (2004), but it was lovely to hear and briefly see Adrienne Barbeau reprise her role of a late night witching hour DJ throughout the film.

Some of the stories amuse, some repulse, a couple i felt didn't work at all. Mostly though Tales of Halloween is merely average and i think i'll be giving it a miss next year.
Old 29th October 2019, 06:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Halloween 5: The Revenge of Michael Myers (1989)

Not a patch on the fourth installment. How could it be when it loses one of that films star performers - Ellie Cornell - in the first half an hour leaving us with Donald Pleasence's Loomis who might be more deranged than Myers.

More of a run of the mill slasher with a loony finale than the haunting menace originally created by John Carpenter. The many sanitarium scenes with young Jamie Lloyd (Danielle Harris) were surely an inspiration for both Rob Zombie and his remake not to mention that thing released last year.

Tales of Halloween
(2015)

Ten stories are woven together by their shared theme of Halloween night in an American suburb, where ghouls, imps, aliens and axe murderers appear for one night only to terrorize unsuspecting residents.

It's impossible not to compare Tales of Halloween to Trick r Treat (2007). However whilst that film works a treat (ahem) the same cannot be said for Tales of Halloween.

After a terrific opening half hour with the short stories hitting you thick and fast it suddenly became a bit of a chore to sit through. Visually it's excellent with so many references to horror down the years you just don't have chance to take it all in. Ten stories in a mere 90 minutes is too much and it feels unfocused after around the forty minute mark.

Where Trick r' Treat really shone through for me is the loving way all the stories interconnect with each other and you notice scenes from one story taking place whilst watching another. There's nothing like this here. Some of the ideas used did seem to come from other films such as Jeff Lieberman's Satan's Little Helper (2004), but it was lovely to hear and briefly see Adrienne Barbeau reprise her role of a late night witching hour DJ throughout the film.

Some of the stories amuse, some repulse, a couple i felt didn't work at all. Mostly though Tales of Halloween is merely average and i think i'll be giving it a miss next year.
Was looking at tales of Halloween and the ten stories over 90 minutes put me off and after seeing your review will give it a miss.
Old 29th October 2019, 06:47 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Was looking at tales of Halloween and the ten stories over 90 minutes put me off and after seeing your review will give it a miss.
Give it a go. As with all these things it's subjective. Although i'm not it's biggest fan i think i've seen it at least three times now so something must drag me back.

The short run times for each segment means that if you don't like one you know the next will be along soon.
Old 29th October 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hide And Go Shriek 1988.

For a graduation party a group of teens decide to spend the night in a furniture store owned by one of the teen's parents. As they decide to play hide and seek they are being stalked by someone.

How many films have been made where teens get to spend the night someplace, get locked in, get horny and the sliced and diced?? This was actually decent for the 80s slasher flick genre, surprisingly was expecting the acting to be naff but turned out a lot better, the death scenes were well played out and the twist ending was a bit different, worth a glance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cf5bca9102a4fb72ab414557a670803c.jpg (95.9 KB, 3 views)

Like this? Share it using the links below!