Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th October 2019, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict

The Black Cat
Strange things are happening in a sleepy village, a couple disappear mysteriously, a localan who is apparently psychic is seen speaking to the dead and mysterious deaths are happening.
I liked it, creepy and brooding atmosphere. Not my favourite Fulci film but up there.
Sorry about the review being short, but just not really feeling it today.
220px-Black-cat-gatto-nero-italian-movie-poster-md.jpg

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 29th October 2019, 09:45 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

976-Evil 1988.

Hoax a bullied teen raised by a religious mother and only friend he has is his biker cousin Spike who looks out for him. When Hoax finds a card for phone psychic he dwells into the supernatural.

Directoring debut for Robert England, delivers this decent chiller, Stephen Geoffreys (Fright Night) plays the outcast Hoax who wants revenge on his tormentors. Sandy Dennis (Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf) plays the religious parent Lucy. It does have a vibe around it like the way Carrie did but there is no prom. It does have it's cheesy moments and some scenes don't make scene due to scenes been cut back. Robert Picardo does make a small appearance as Mark Dark and voice on the phone. Worth a watch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg latest.jpg (77.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 29th October 2019, 11:20 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Was looking at tales of Halloween and the ten stories over 90 minutes put me off and after seeing your review will give it a miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Give it a go. As with all these things it's subjective. Although i'm not it's biggest fan i think i've seen it at least three times now so something must drag me back.

The short run times for each segment means that if you don't like one you know the next will be along soon.
I enjoyed Tales of Halloween. The stories are a mixed bag, but it is certainly enjoyable and doesn't overstay its welcome. I've watched it the past four Octobers now and it has entertained me every time.
Old 29th October 2019, 11:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Night Of The Living Dead 1968.

A band of survivors take refuge in a farmhouse and fend off a horde of zombies.

Classic George A. Romero film on a new wave of zombie horror, filmed on a very low budget that became a horror masterpiece. Romero took a risk by featuring a main male lead who was coloured and seemed to pay off (which was unheard of back then), there isn't much gore but adds to the tension of cabin fever on how people would try to stay alive and people try to take control of everything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg main_fit_300.jpg (30.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th October 2019, 01:39 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return Of The Living Dead 1985.

When two employees at a medical supply warehouse accidently release a deadly gas into the air, the dead start retuning from the grave

This is one of those 80s movies that combines horror with black comedy and a girl dancing naked in a cemetary. James Karen and Clu Gulager steal part of the film with the re-amination part in the warehouse then join Don Calfa that becomes a comedy trio act. It does have its fair share of gore and punk group with their leader trying too make a statement on life. It's still a classic to watch and have some laughs at.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.9 KB, 30 views)
Old 30th October 2019, 03:59 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Return Of The Living Dead Part II 1988.

Three kids find a barrel that hosts a zombie and open it up releasing the gas that makes the dead rise again.

This was more comedy than horror and more talking zombies, James Karen and Thom Mathews return as well playing different roles and copy one or two of the same lines.
There is some brain eating even a old man and a young boy throwing brains at them from a moving van. It's decent for the laughs and soundtrack. Even a zombie Michael Jackson make a a apoeaeance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg return-of-the-living-dead-part-ii-geek-n-rock.jpg (106.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 30th October 2019, 12:03 PM
Cult Veteran

An American Werewolf In London (1981)

An absolute classic, not much to be said that hasn't been said. Great mix of humour, terror and fantastic special effects! Also Jenny Agutter is very beautiful!

Mark of The Beast: The Legacy of the Universal Werewolf (2019)

This is a special feature on the new AAWIL bluray from Arrow, it's actually an 80 minute professional documentary about the evolution of the Werewolf movie and Universal studios. From 1941s The Wolf Man to 2010s, erm, The Wolfman! Plus everything in between! Lots of clips and talking head interviews, classy, worth a watch!

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Not the most successfully made movie, a little bit clumsy in execution. There are enough good bits to keep it entertaining but overall it's a little naff. First time re-watch since I was maybe 15 or 16 and I watched it on Sky Movies and I remember being frightened but last night I was more bemused than anything It was a 2 star rating for me until the final 10 minutes bumped it up another half!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 30th October 2019, 12:05 PM
Cult Veteran

Also... I'm glad there are only 2 nights left, getting serious film fatigue now
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Old 30th October 2019, 01:48 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

Night of the Living Dead (1990)

Not the most successfully made movie, a little bit clumsy in execution. There are enough good bits to keep it entertaining but overall it's a little naff. First time re-watch since I was maybe 15 or 16 and I watched it on Sky Movies and I remember being frightened but last night I was more bemused than anything It was a 2 star rating for me until the final 10 minutes bumped it up another half!

Notable to me as the only other thing i've seen that actress in other than Babylon 5.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 30th October 2019, 01:51 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
Notable to me as the only other thing i've seen that actress in other than Babylon 5.
She's the best thing about the movie by far!
Deadite likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!