Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2020, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

You ain't seen me right.
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 1st October 2020, 09:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

For some reason Nordi the picture isn't showing up.
Old 1st October 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I Walked With A Zombie (1943)

What a fantastic film, the music, the drums, the shadows and especially the scene with Betsy and Jessica walking through the sugar fields.

This might turn into an annual ritual!

The version on BBC iPlayer is pretty ropey, what's the best version of this to buy? If I'm going to watch it every year I want a nicer copy of it...

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 1st October 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days OF Unseen Horror Day 1

Attachment 228160

Two brothers run into some trouble in a small southern town while on vacation when a group of local rednecks take an instant disliking to these city boys. The brothers are forced to take up lodgings for the night after their car is run off the road and they later get into a bar brawl with the same gang. After Mike one of the brothers goes missing in the night Josh is left to solve the mystery with the help of a local female teacher. This town has something strange going on under its sleepy surface and soon Josh will discover that rednecks are the least of his worries.

Just from the poster and the name of the film i was expecting a sci fi monster film but instead i was treated to a very enjoyable zombie flick with a bit of a difference where the zombies only some out at night because they can't handle the light. For most of the cast the performances are good and fairly convincing. The zombies themselves while not fast they are also not slow bumping into things and wandering around aimlessly they move about with purpose. The makeup is decent pale faced with open sores and the palms of their hands oozing the toxic waste that turned them from humans into the undead. The toxic blood is used to great effect and purpose in many scenes. Mutant offers up some great action scenes a lot of suspense and a few touching scenes also.

I really enjoyed this and was totally taken by surprise at the start i was a little skeptical when the Redneck gang showed up first their acting was stupid and the way it seemed to be going worried me but that soon passed and things instantly started to improve. Day one and we are off to a great start a real hidden gem that i will watch again.

8/10

Fixed
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 1st October 2020, 09:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
I Walked With A Zombie (1943)

What a fantastic film, the music, the drums, the shadows and especially the scene with Betsy and Jessica walking through the sugar fields.

This might turn into an annual ritual!

The version on BBC iPlayer is pretty ropey, what's the best version of this to buy? If I'm going to watch it every year I want a nicer copy of it...
I have the Val Lewton region one box set which is now sadly out of print.
You could buy the titles individually in fact the two i reviewed were both on the same disc, but again they are all out of print. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep checking Music Magpie.

There is a blu from Lobster Films but the screen caps i've seen are really light and to say the film is all about the use of dark and shadows makes it useless.

I Walked With A Zombie is my favourite zombie film, bar none.
Old 1st October 2020, 09:58 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I have the Val Lewton region one box set which is now sadly out of print.
You could buy the titles individually in fact the two i reviewed were both on the same disc, but again they are all out of print. Perhaps the best thing to do is keep checking Music Magpie.

There is a blu from Lobster Films but the screen caps i've seen are really light and to say the film is all about the use of dark and shadows makes it useless.

I Walked With A Zombie is my favourite zombie film, bar none.
There is the double pack on Music Magpie they're asking £20 for it. It's on Amazon and they're asking nearer to £40. I'll bide my time Some guy is selling it on eBay for £7 and change but they are definitely copies he's burning on his computer!

Old 1st October 2020, 10:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There is the double pack on Music Magpie they're asking £20 for it. It's on Amazon and they're asking nearer to £40. I'll bide my time Some guy is selling it on eBay for £7 and change but they are definitely copies he's burning on his computer!
I actually had to buy the one i watched a second time.

I have no idea why but last October when i cam to watch Zombie it wouldn't play. I've seen it annually for a decade then suddenly it decided it didn't want to play. Odd thing is i watched The Body Snatcher on the same disc a few days before and it played fine. It was just Zombie. No scratches, marks, grease, nothing

I found one that same night on Magpie for £6 and bought it immediately.

It's one of the reasons i watched the two last night together. In case the ****er didn't play next time i tried.
Justin101 and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:03 PM
Cult Veteran

I keep my eyes peeled for a bargain copy

Old 1st October 2020, 10:05 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I keep my eyes peeled for a bargain copy
If there's one on Magpie now stick it in your wishlist. Easier to check for price drops.
Justin101 likes this.
Old 1st October 2020, 10:08 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If there's one on Magpie now stick it in your wishlist. Easier to check for price drops.
I didn't know that was possible, thanks for the tip!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!