Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th October 2020, 08:06 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I’ve been working and have not had a chance to watch one single horror movie

I have, however, been enjoying some horror shorts on YouTube. I really like this one here and would recommend that you all watch it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 6th October 2020 at 09:50 AM.
Old 6th October 2020, 09:57 AM
Cult Master

'Rawhead Rex' (1984)

An Irish farmer removes a big stone pillar from his land during a thunderstorm, and wouldn't you know it - as soon as lightning strikes the column, an evil Pagan Demi-god from before the mists of time rises from the ground. Before you know it Rawhead Rex, for it is he, is running around the countryside killing men, rabbits and children (yes - children get killed), going to wee-wee on the church verger and generally being very, very naughty!

Based on a short story by Clive Barker, who would return to the Demi-god concept with the Cenobites in the 'Hellraiser' films, 'Rawhead Rex' is an entertaining piece of trash. It's a perfect Friday night beer and kebab movie. Trouble is, I saw in on Monday afternoon with cola and cheesy wotsits!

There is no getting away from the fact that the film is ridiculous, with a monster suit that is hilariously bad. But if you accept the fact that the film is not to be taken seriously, there is a lot of fun to be had here

Rewatch value: Yes, but I will need to be in exactly the right mood

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th October 2020, 11:44 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 5th.

Blood Fest (2018)

A bunch of character actors you will have seen elsewhere go to Halloween horror movie festival Blood Fest.

After the first twenty minutes i was loving this, the opening of the Blood Fest had me practically cheering but then it all goes downhill and ends up scraping the bottom of one convoluted Cabin in the Woods style barrel.

Almost twenty five years after first seeing Wes Craven's Scream the rules of surviving horror situations are becoming extremely derivative and very boring so the fact that characters constantly discuss the rules as a way of surviving had me groaning which was a pity because largely the characters were less irritating than most who populate films such as this. There are also nods to classic horror movies throughout, from ripping off scenes from the Saw sequels to more subtler references like an area of the festival called Hodderville.

The film has very good production values with enjoyably gruesome splatter FX and what seem to be hundreds of extras in addition to a sizable cast who more or less all get killed off. However the contrived ending is implausible in the extreme - yes, we are talking Stonehenge fragments in millions of kids Halloween masks type extreme - meaning the overall feeling is one of a laughable movie rather than one that made me laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blood_Fest_poster.jpg (31.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 6th October 2020, 03:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default So far this month I've been mostly eating pumpkin

I'm being really lazy,but these are my October Halloween watching thus far.....

Darkness Falls...2003
Some witchey type creature fly's around in the dark,scaring the be crap out of kids,her only down fall is light,and maybe a weak script..For some reason I expect the film makers thought they might have had a recurring franchise on there hands with the tooth fairy, but alas not to be..Mildly entertaining but ultimately forgettable in the end for me...

The Dentist.(1996)
Not quite what I was expecting, as this was my first watch of this Brian Yuzna directed piece of celluloid trash,Corbin Bernsen as Dr. Alan Feinstone is great as the paranoid and slightly deranged dentist of the title.The film is a lot more sleazy and depraved than I was expecting,low on gore but none the worse for that,although there are a great couple of gruesome teeth related moments, in words of The Stranglers nice and sleazy does it...

The New York Ripper.(1982).Lo squartatore di New York)
Im going to put my neck on the line hear and say not only is it my favourite Lucio Fulci movie but to me its his greatest film..( hell I luv all his horror and giallo output who am I kidding)... But New York Ripper,has some sort of weird hold over me,is it the quacking serial killer,the mad old lady at the police station,the foot fetishism or am I simply a misogynist... Who knows,who the hell cares,Fulci you da man.....

Bad Taste.(1987).
When I first saw this back in the days of the video piracy boom,where tapes were exchanged in brown paper bags by replying to adverts in the back of magazine's,I was blown away by the unrelenting Monty Python style Gore and antics..But ever since I saw the documentary about the making of the movie,Good Taste Made Bad Taste (1988),I have a real admiration for Peter Jackson and what he did with a minuscule budget,mind you I hate Lord of the Ring's...

Magic.(1978)
We all know that along with clowns, dolls and radio disc jockeys from the 1980s,that ventilaquist dummies are weird freaky and just not normal,who really in there right mind decides to go into show business with there arm firmly up a dolls backside,( why do you think Roger De Courcey's Nookie the bear was always cross eyed,and why was spit the dog so full of phelm)...Any way Anthony Hopkins is Corky ( eh? Surely that's a dummies name) who manages to become famous by doing magic tricks with the aid of his side kick Fats (now that's a real dummies name)..which just goes to show that people back in the 1970s would watch anything...Directed by Sir Dickie Attenborough, its a fair attempt at a well worn story, but it was done much better in Ealing's Dead of Night...

The Maureen Ponderosa Wedding Massacre..
A great episode from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, not technically an Halloween episode but it more than makes up for it with some great dialogue and just a few nods to some horror movie's... On top of that we have a great cameo from Guillermo Del Toro as Pappy McPoyle the head of the in breed clan the McPoyle's...The episode is littered with great lines,but its Charlie Days impression of Robert Shaws speech from Jaws that really nails it,and of course everybody knows that Friday The 13th is a monster day...

Old 6th October 2020, 04:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Dream No Evil (1970) ★★★½

Grace McDonald (Brooke Mills), a young woman who grew up in an orphanage and was adopted by a religious family, now performing acrobatic stunts for her adoptive brother, Jesse, a travelling preacher.

This lifestyle could have led to brainwashing and religious fanaticism, but Grace hasn't given up hope of finding her biological family, so when a man shows up claiming to be her father, her world is turned upside down and she struggles to deal with the chaos.

Dream No Evil is not be for everyone, it's a psychodrama which occasionally verges between camp and nightmarish, one of those films from the late 1960s and early '70s which looks hyperreal but feels very grounded, using atmosphere and the incongruence between what you see and what you feel for effect.

It's certainly a strange film to find an Oscar-winning actor in a prominent role, but Edmond O'Brien (The Barefoot Contessa, Seven Days in May, The Wild Bunch) looks at home here, putting in an excellent performance in a late career role. Brooke Mills is very good as the psychologically damaged and fragile Grace, and Michael Pataki is also really good as Rev Jesse Bundy, the travelling evangelist.

It's a film I haven't heard of prior to it being in the second volume of Arrow Video's American Horror Project, and it's one I'm very pleased has been remastered and released in high-definition.
Old 6th October 2020, 04:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Child (1977) ★★★½

This 1977 curio from from director Robert Voskanian and producer Robert Dadashian is a little like the bastard offspring of The House by the Cemetery and The Bad Seed, a 'killer kid' movie with zombies, an isolated farmhouse, and a far-from-perfect nuclear family.

If the commentary with Voskanian and Dadashian is accurate, and I've no reason to doubt it isn't, this was a Night of the Living Dead-like low-budget film, one made over several years and with a few people doing many roles and appearing in the credits under different names. The budgetary constraints escalate its weirdness and make the film more interesting than it would be if it was a big budget Hollywood feature.

This is the film I had been unaware of until it was announced as being in the Arrow Video American Horror Project: Volume Two, something I bought about six months ago and have only just opened! I'm very glad it has been remastered and released.

I chose to watch it in the 1.33:1 ratio rather than 1.85:1 and, according to Voskanian, that's his preferred ratio because the widescreen picture loses some information at the top and bottom of the frame – it was a lucky guess on my part!
Old 6th October 2020, 05:04 PM
Cult Addict

Dead of the Nite

Police are sent to investigate the murder of 5 youths after they went in to a house to do a ghost hunting show. One officer spends his time looking through their footage to find out what happened.
Starts off promising. Tony Todd is in it for 10 minutes or so at least. I went in with little expectations so at least I wasn't disappointed. Still there should've been more spookiness sprinkled throughout .

Old 6th October 2020, 06:13 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Picked this up for a couple of quid today - a nice Halloween lantern that will look good with all the other crap.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF7792 (Large).JPG (51.3 KB, 5 views)
Old 6th October 2020, 07:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Vampires vs The Bronx (2020)

I doubt that this film will be popular here but I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of the gateway horror films that I watched as a young teen like The Lost Boys or The Monster Squad which had enough horror tropes to get me hooked and looking for something a bit more grown-up. I see this film as that same thing for the teens of today.

The story is quite slim, a neighbourhood in The Bronx populated by mostly people of colour is being bought out by some creepy old white dude in an expensive suit who works for a property developer 'Murnau Enterprises'. Three untrusting kids (one with a rockin collection of metal tees) get a bit suspicious and start to investigate, only to find that the the company is a front for Vampires who want to take back The Bronx as it used to be their hunting ground in 'the old days'.

It's fun, there are nods to vampire films all over the place and the make up designs have more than a passing nod to Buffy. Just don't be expecting too much but an enjoyable 85 mins.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th October 2020, 07:12 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Love the new avatar Nos.

Like this? Share it using the links below!