Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th October 2020, 08:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

The Woman in Black (2012)

I was perhaps a little harsh when i 'reviewed' this last time, especially considering that I only watched it for around 20 minutes...

It turns out that it's a very competent gothic chiller, not as enjoyable as the 1989 TV movie but still very good. I remember not being very convinced that Daniel Radcliffe was a grief stricken father with a 4-yr old son, but I think he pulls it off very well.

There was one scene in particular that I thought was very striking, Arthur is in Nathaniel's bedroom investigating why a rocking chair is moving on it's own and there is a close up of a toy while he walks past with only a candle for light, the reflection in the toy's eyes makes it look like it's watching him walk around the room. I also loved the recovery of Nathaniel's body from his marshy grave and the car is trying to pull the trap out of the mud, it was very tense indeed!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 17th October 2020, 09:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

NEW

Old 17th October 2020, 10:29 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 17

tormentedfeature.jpg

Just days before his wedding Tom Stewarts ex shows up to try and get him back before she losses him forever. As they argue in a lighthouse she stumbles and falls with only the broken rail keeping her up Tom has plenty of time to save her but he decides to leave her drop to her death no one knows she has come to the island so its the perfect result for him but she is not giving him up without a fight. Everywhere Tom goes he hears her voice he sees her face he feels her presence she is constantly with him. The man is losing his mind and he is driven to do crazy things to keep his secret from his future wife.

This film is filled with some really creepy scene's and images like extra footprint walling with the couple down the beach and voices in the wind. Early in the film the soundtrack really didn't suit with was happening on the screen using swinging jazz rather than the creepy music we hear as the film progresses. Acting wise its a mixed back the main actors and actresses are all decent but i couldn't get my head around kid acting like an old woman talking about how much she was in love with Tom and how much she wanted to marry Tom instead of her older sister when the child is only about 7 or 8 which was a bit more creepy than the ghost

I love a lighthouse in general but in a horror a creepy lighthouse is alway great and here we have a creepy old lighthouse that sadly isn't used to its full potential even if it was just a shot of it in the dark or something.

Overall a really enjoyable story with a great ending.

7/10
Old 18th October 2020, 09:33 AM
Cultist

9/10
Old 18th October 2020, 09:58 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Burial Ground

Holidays can be fun. Especially with friends. Driving. Laughing. Pointing. A stately home to rest those weary bones in. It's all good. What a pity the locals have their own issues to deal with
Any movie featuring a knock off David Warbeck can't be all bad. Pretty bad okay, but all the same ..... and I'd forgotten how bleak it is really, unlike Nightmare City it doesn't crap out with the " ...twas all a dream ..." bit, even if you think it will ..... plus fans of Patrick vive Ancora will recognise the locale somewhat cough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BG.jpg (40.0 KB, 0 views)

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 18th October 2020, 10:03 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Matrix View Post

9/10
You only gave it a 9...???
Demoncrat and John Matrix like this.

Old 18th October 2020, 10:27 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
You only gave it a 9...???
yeah not sure what would make it a 10
Old 18th October 2020, 10:28 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Burial Ground

Holidays can be fun. Especially with friends. Driving. Laughing. Pointing. A stately home to rest those weary bones in. It's all good. What a pity the locals have their own issues to deal with
Any movie featuring a knock off David Warbeck can't be all bad. Pretty bad okay, but all the same ..... and I'd forgotten how bleak it is really, unlike Nightmare City it doesn't crap out with the " ...twas all a dream ..." bit, even if you think it will ..... plus fans of Patrick vive Ancora will recognise the locale somewhat cough.

Absolutely terrifying film.
Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.
Old 18th October 2020, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran

Never Hike in the Snow: A Friday the 13th Fan Film (2020)

A really well made fan film short exploring a bit more of the Friday the 13th lore. It's only 30 minutes so it doesn't really go anywhere and then it ends but it's got some really good special effects in it for sure! Worth a watch. It's officially on YouTube.

I can see that he's made another film a few years ago 'Never Hike Alone' so I'm going to try to check that out too.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th October 2020, 12:57 PM
Cult Addict

The Void
After discovering a man crawling in the woods, a police officer takes him to a local hospital where strange shit happens.
I've been meaning to buy and watch this for a few years, of all the unseen films in my list one that had me intrigued especially as a fan of lovecraft and it was for worth watching, just a shame I never saw it sooner.

Like this? Share it using the links below!