Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th October 2020, 03:40 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
i love the Fog, for up there with Carpenters best, oozes atmosphere perfect Halloween viewing . easily 9 / 10
Nup I'm as much as I like it and love the foggy atmosphere and the west coast California setting I just can't rate it with JC's best.

I might notch it up to a 7 but that's it
Old 19th October 2020, 04:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Oktobeer

Torture Garden.
Not my favourite of Amicus anthology movies,that being reserved for they're two Ec Comic adaptations, Tales From The Crypt and the much maligned Vault of Horror..I find the stories in Garden a wee bit on the under whelming side,even though they are based on Robert Bloch's short stories...But saying that the wraparound story with Burgess Meredith is still a lot of fun,especially the scene involving Michael Ripper at the end,like I say not my favourite from Amicus but still worth a revisit now and again...

Dead Alive...
Peter Jackson pulls out all the stops in his gore filled comedy horror,everything about this film is gross,the comedy,the special effects and more importantly the characters... Especially Lionels mothers Vera,probably horror cinemas most repugnant mothers ever to grace a blood covered screen...That said most of the characters are highly unlikeable,apart from Lionel and his girlfriend...Vega Cosgrove is a horrible clinging caricature that isn't much better when she returns as a zombie...I remember when this first came out,feeling almost jaded and bored by all the gore,so I haven't watched this for quite awhile,and I'm happy to say I probably enjoyed it more now than then...

Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampire's..
Hammer goes all kung fu,with there collaboration with the Shaw Brothers and while on paper it probably sounded like a marriage made in heaven,the end result was a bit of a hit or miss affair..It probably does not help that the character of Dracula who appears briefly at the start,is not played by Christopher Lee,although it's very doubtful he would of appeared in such a brief role anyway at that time let alone don the cape...But never mind as we still have the ever reliable Peter Cushing to fly the Hammer flag...Seven Golden Vampires suffers from a very dull first half,apart from a couple of scenes involving the vampire dead,luckily the last quarter of the film picks up momentarily... What always surprise's me is the topless scenes, I'm assuming this was the Hammer influence...

Mimic...
Guillermo Del Toro brings back the bug movie for the 90s,and does a first rate job in resurecting the science fiction horror hybrid... It starts with a pandemic that is killing off the children of New York,due to a disease caused by the cockroach population in the cities sewers and adandoned underground rail network... But have no fear as scientist Mira Sorvino ,has come up with a solution, in the form of a mutated insect that destroys the plague carrying roach...Toro manages to combine some rather plausible scientific mumbo jumbo with good old fashioned monster movie shenanigans, and also pulls no punches,as he is not adverse to killing of two of his child characters...

Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue...
Possibly the first ever environmental zombie gore movie ever made by a Spanish director set in the north of England...Im not sure what the appeal is here,whether its the scenes set in the Peak District. (Which I have passed through few times) or maybe its Ray Lovelock's beard,or Arthur Kennedy doing his columbo impression...Any way the whole film has an air of impending doom and gloom,as the Derbyshire district are invested with horrible ugly mutant's, but thats enough about the locals the zombies aren't much better either.. As much as I love Romeros Dawn of the Dead,this one just edges into my favourite zombie film alongside Zombie Fleash Eaters.....

Old 19th October 2020, 05:25 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Possibly the first ever environmental zombie gore movie ever made by a Spanish director set in the north of England...Im not sure what the appeal is here,whether its the scenes set in the Peak District. (Which I have passed through few times) or maybe its Ray Lovelock's beard,or Arthur Kennedy doing his columbo impression...Any way the whole film has an air of impending doom and gloom,as the Derbyshire district are invested with horrible ugly mutant's, but thats enough about the locals the zombies aren't much better either.. As much as I love Romeros Dawn of the Dead,this one just edges into my favourite zombie film alongside Zombie Flesh Eaters.....
I'm with you there. It's a film that leaves more of an impression with each viewing. Land of the Dead, ZFE, and Manchester Morgue are my top three i think.

Going to have to watch it tonight now... i was saving it for nearer Halloween but hell, appetite whetted.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline View Post
Possibly the first ever environmental zombie gore movie ever made by a Spanish director set in the north of England...Im not sure what the appeal is here,whether its the scenes set in the Peak District. (Which I have passed through few times) or maybe its Ray Lovelock's beard,or Arthur Kennedy doing his columbo impression...Any way the whole film has an air of impending doom and gloom,as the Derbyshire district are invested with horrible ugly mutant's, but thats enough about the locals the zombies aren't much better either.. As much as I love Romeros Dawn of the Dead,this one just edges into my favourite zombie film alongside Zombie Fleash Eaters.....
The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue is one of my favourite zombie movies as well, definitely in my top 10.

I also really like Mimic and Braindead (Dead Alive). I remember liking The Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, but that was about a decade ago, so I've no idea how I would feel about it now.
Old 19th October 2020, 05:39 PM
Cult Addict

Prince of Darkness

A group of physicists from a university are tasked to investigate a bottle of green goo found in a basement of a church.
When I first watched this film years ago, I found it to be a very boring movie but with every subsequent viewing in the past 12 years I have found it to be easily one of my top 3 Carpenter movies, along with The Fog and Big Trouble in Little China and it keeps sticking out to me.

Old 19th October 2020, 05:46 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The House In Mansefield Street (2019, Richard Mansefield)

Chap moves to Nottingham to start a new job, meets a friendly female neighbour, who leaves him a lovely housewarming gift, did Richard Curtis write this?
NO TF
A documentarist at heart he naturally sets up cameras after some ... strangeness in this new domicile.
Not the worst, not the best. If you know this genre, you'll get the gist within the first act ahem. 75 min, so wasn't farting around in any case.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th October 2020, 05:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
Prince of Darkness

A group of physicists from a university are tasked to investigate a bottle of green goo found in a basement of a church.
When I first watched this film years ago, I found it to be a very boring movie but with every subsequent viewing in the past 12 years I have found it to be easily one of my top 3 Carpenter movies, along with The Fog and Big Trouble in Little China and it keeps sticking out to me.

Gets better the more I watch it, looking forward to this BD etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 19th October 2020, 05:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm with you there. It's a film that leaves more of an impression with each viewing. Land of the Dead, ZFE, and Manchester Morgue are my top three i think.
Night of the living dead, Day of the dead and Return of the living dead are my top 3 zombie films.

Manchester morgue would be in the top ten though.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 19th October 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Sticking my oar in regarding TLDATMM, it doesn't get the love that certain films do, but it was always there, even as the horribly truncated vhs I first encountered (as The Living Dead) still retained something of its putrid glory.
REWATCH!!!!!

[B]
Old 19th October 2020, 06:02 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Gets better the more I watch it, looking forward to this BD etc.
Have too agree the first time I watched it wasn't too keen on it but gets better with each viewing.

Finished the audible Dracula , which I really enjoyed with how it's wrote thought it won't work as a audio book but it worked perfectly . Think I'll listen to Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde read Richard Armitage next

Was going too watch The church and the sect tonight but might change one of them to Prince of Darkness.

Like this? Share it using the links below!