Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st October 2020, 10:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

scary-movie-cinema-quad-movie-poster-(5).jpg
SCARY MOVIE (2000)

The first and the best of the movies. A lot of thought went in to mirroring the scenes from the films that were being parodied.
Great fun and for me laugh out loud funny!

download.jpg

lf (1).jpg
THE CITY OF THE DEAD (1960)

Another movie which is perfect for this time of year. The film is full of atmosphere with it's swirling fog, old town, cemetery and talk of witches.
Great.
Old 21st October 2020, 11:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post

Attachment 228764
SCARY MOVIE (2000)

The first and the best of the movies. A lot of thought went in to mirroring the scenes from the films that were being parodied.
Great fun and for me laugh out loud funny!

Attachment 228767

Attachment 228765
THE CITY OF THE DEAD (1960)

Another movie which is perfect for this time of year. The film is full of atmosphere with it's swirling fog, old town, cemetery and talk of witches.
Great.
City is VERY foggy, lol! It's even foggier than John Carpenter's The Fog!
Time to dig out the Arrow release methinks!
Old 21st October 2020, 03:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Yep! The Arrow Blu ray has a fantastic picture.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st October 2020, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 20th

Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

An outlandish plot, an ear worm theme running throughout, inventive deaths, automatons guarding a factory run by an evil yet distinguished gentleman in a black suit, said automatons entering a hospital with the intent on murdering a man who knows too much, automaton attacks out of the blue in cars, children's toys being brought to life as weapons of murder and a hero referred to as Doctor.

Welcome to the Hollywood remake of early seventies Doctor Who adventures Spearhead from Space and Terror of the Autons.

Not wanting the horrors to get stale i decided to follow this up with a proper Doctor Who story

Revelation of the Daleks (1985)

Only to remember that it's story set in a huge funeral home where Dalek creator Davros hangs out in the catacombs using the bodies of the recently deceased held in suspended animation as food for the living while genetically experimenting on others to transform them into a new race of Daleks.

So yeah, my attempt to get away from horror for ninety minutes actually proved more horror than most horror films with the scenes of a part Dalek part human, face covered in newly grown pulsating red flesh, so f*cking disgusting Cronenberg would flinch at them. That's before we get to the head mortician being stabbed to death with a syringe full of embalming fluid and a woman stabbed through the heart by a supposedly honorable fellow.

No wonder the Doctor and Peri were sidelined for half the story, they'd have got in the way of the carnage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg halloween3-700x20137.jpg (101.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 51BFFMZ8FCL._AC_SY445_.jpg (29.3 KB, 2 views)
Old 21st October 2020, 04:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Nun. 2018.

A priest with a trouble past and a young novice on the verge of taking her final vows, are sent to a Romanian church to investigate a death of a nun and encounter demonic forces.

This is the second time watching it and I was disappointed a bit with the first viewing due to the trailer spoiling the film, no harm in second chances though, the film does start off promising then goes off the rails a bit and back. There is bits where the makers did try to add some plot twists which seem to be predictable. The atmosphere around the church is done well with the church showered in mist and dark makes it more sinister, Demian Bichir and Tessa Farmiga take the lead roles with Jonas Bloquet as the local farmer and helper Frenchie. With the ending I did like how the makers connected this to The Conjuring film.

https___blogs-images.forbes.com_simonthompson_files_2018_09_the_nun_large-1200x730.jpg
Old 21st October 2020, 04:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

DR GIGGLES – This is the sort of film I would’ve probably hated if I’d seen it ‘back in the day’; it’s comedy horror in a post- Freddie Kruger ‘one liner / one kill’ mode. But not so fast, because ‘Dr Giggles’ has other things going for it, and ultimately seems quite odd. The set-up is typical – small town / suburbs, college kids, local legend / back story, a vengeance-fixated killer and a naive heroine who needs a heart op. The slasher’s gimmick in this case – well, he thinks he’s a doctor like his killer dad, but apart from that, he giggles like a ‘comedy mad person’. The unfolding is very by-the-numbers, and in some ways we are in genre comfort food territory, but there’s a tonal unevenness to it that plays on the mind, a darkness that seeps in during some scenes – like the flashback where the father and son are standing beside the recently deceased mother, their tears slowly turning to laughter. There’s another one where the young Dr Giggles uses a scalpel to emancipate himself from the belly of his (again) dead mother, a sequence that seems grotesque enough to belong somewhere else. On top of that, a bafflingly trippy hall-of-mirrors scene, presumably thrown in for the sake of having something ‘a bit visual’ going on, and a mood that feels, despite the lame gags during the kills, progressively morose and downbeat, factor in to make ‘Dr Giggles’ a more interesting experience than I was expecting. Of course, it also has that early nineties look about it, always a nostalgic draw for me.
Old 21st October 2020, 06:37 PM
Cult Veteran

Constantine (2005)

Hi, my name's John. You are in violation of the balance. Leave immediately or I will deport you.

I've been wanting to watch Constantine for years and just never got around to it, so forcing myself to watch stuff that's been sidelined this year has really helped!

You lot have probably seen it already, Keanu is John Constantine, a guy who's attempted suicide as a teen means he's doomed to go to hell. He's trying to make amends with God by doing the good work of exorcising demons who find their way to earth. Some of those exorcism scenes really steal the show in this movie.

I don't know what I was expecting for this film, but I don't think it was what I got. Very slick with great visuals, but also gritty and violent and even a bit scary (not a lot though). I enjoyed this one, I hope it gets a 4k upgrade, I imagine this could look even better with some HDR.

Oh, also Tilda Swinton as the angel Gabriel, fantatsic!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st October 2020, 07:06 PM
Cult Addict

Unfriended: Dark Web

A guy, gets a laptop, starts a round of Cards Against Humanity with his mates, discovers a load of videos and his computer is going to shit. Then finds out is has snuff videos which are sold to the highest bidder.
The 1st unfriended, the evil seemed to at the very least be motivated to do what it did at the very least, also the fat kid with blender was fun. This one not so much, in some ways it seems blumhouse don't really do much research. If this was a short on an anthology (ie V/H/S) it would have been great. Can't wait for the sequel where a group of woke milennial liberals go onto 4chan and get triggered by spicy memes it is 2020 after all.

Old 21st October 2020, 07:20 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Classic!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 21st October 2020, 08:09 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 20

IMG_9016.jpg

Robert Kraft is the new chairman of a small local graveyard a roll he is reluctant to take but he is obliged through family obligation. Within the office of the graveyard is a giant and very detailed map of every plot and name of the owner of each plot. A black pin is put in to mark if the plot is occupied and a white pin if for those who are still empty. When Robert mistakenly put two black pins in a newly bought plot the couple die in a mysterious car crash thinking this was just a coincidence Robert changes the white pin for a black on another plot just to prove it to himself but that person also dies. The power of life or death that he holds in his hands will drive him crazy.

Fantastically eerie and spooky tale mostly set in the dark cold office in the graveyard with the map itself is almost a character in itself. I love watching a character slowly descend into madness it always shows how good an actor is by how realistic they can make it look and Richard Boone does a great job here not acting erratic or outwardly crazy but more like he is slipping further in to shock and he is becoming increasingly numb and separated from the world around him. Outside of the performance and dark atmosphere of the graveyard office the camera work and the soundtrack really work great together creating an even more creepy chilling vibe i also really like how they make the audience almost feel the cold of the office never letting you forget with office furniture getting smashed and set a light for heat and Robert losing his temper with the stove not lighting making you feel what he feels and the lack of heat also contributes to him losing his mind.

A very effective film with a nice little twist at the end. Recommended and would certainly watch again.

7/10

Like this? Share it using the links below!