Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2020, 05:26 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Default October 21st

Son of Frankenstein (1939)

The third installment in Universal's Frankenstein saga and the final one to star the great Karloff as the imposing monster...this time wearing a natty sheepskin cut off shirt. Cast wise this is far superior to the two previous entries even though they are in the revered bracket whilst this generally isn't, although in my opinion it should be.

Basil Rathbone is excellent as Sherlo, er Baron Wolf Von Frankenstein whilst Bela Lugosi, who gives a fine performance and has a lot to do (interacts superbly with Karloff) as Ygor but Lionel Atwill almost steals the show with an eccentric turn as a police inspector with a noisy artificial arm.

In fact eccentric is the word that best describes this chiller. It's probably the only time the monster has a chest X-ray for example and is certainly the only time the villagers turn out to cheer Baron Frankenstein at the end.

It's not all quirkiness though, the oft used Universal horror traits are all present and correct and we even get a molten sulphur pit handily situated beneath Frankenstein's laboratory for added danger, extra chills and an inescapable finale.

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 22nd October 2020 at 05:48 PM.
Old 22nd October 2020, 05:35 PM
Cult Master

I love Lugosi as Ygor.

But then again i would
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 22

Attachment 228815

When their father goes missing two brothers reunite to pack up his old vhs store. Inside the locked office they find a vhs board game that they must play to find out what happened to their father.

Billed as an 80s throwback i didnt get any 80s vibe from this at all they tried to force it with an 80s synth soundtrack that didnt feels 80s at all and some neon pink lighting that again did nothing to add anything to the atmosphere. Most of the acting was pretty wooden and flat i get that the two brothers were estranged but they acted like two people that never met before and that really started to wear on me after awhile. One thing the film did get right was the gore it did look great with tons of blood and organs getting extracted with reckless abandon but that doesnt make up for the rest of the film which i honestly found boring.

Purley for the gore
4/10

That's being generous, one of the worst films I had seen in years, Barbara must of really needed the money.

Last edited by trebor8273; 22nd October 2020 at 06:18 PM.
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
That's being generous, one of the worst film I had seen in years, Barbara must of really needed the money.
I'm with you on this one, Treb.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

s-l1600 (2).jpg
SLAUGHTER HIGH (1986)

Good slasher with some atmospheric scenes involving the 'Jester' walking the old school halls. Nice gruesome deaths for that group of unlikable characters.

516LsmW6kxL._AC_.jpg
PIECES (1982)

Nice and gory chainsaw mayhem. The scene in the lift is just awesome!
Crazy ending scene. Don't mess with a patchwork girl, ha ha!
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:31 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Pieces RULES. The lift scene

Beyond The Gates is DIRE AF. The Void pisses all over it IMHO.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:32 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Son of Frankenstein (1939)

The third installment in Universal's Frankenstein saga and the final one to star the great Karloff as the imposing monster...this time wearing a natty sheepskin cut off shirt. Cast wise this is far superior to the two previous entries even though they are in the revered bracket whilst this generally isn't, although in my opinion it should be.

Basil Rathbone is excellent as Sherlo, er Baron Wolf Von Frankenstein whilst Bela Lugosi, who gives a fine performance and has a lot to do (interacts superbly with Karloff) as Ygor but Lionel Atwill almost steals the show with an eccentric turn as a police inspector with a noisy artificial arm.

In fact eccentric is the word that best describes this chiller. It's probably the only time the monster has a chest X-ray for example and is certainly the only time the villagers turn out to cheer Baron Frankenstein at the end.

It's not all quirkiness though, the oft used Universal horror traits are all present and correct and we even get a molten sulphur pit handily situated beneath Frankenstein's laboratory for added danger, extra chills and an inescapable finale.

Funnily enough, I've dug this one out as well.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:42 PM
Cult Addict

The Long Hair of Death

A mother is burned as a witch and her eldest daughter is murdered after confronting the count about the reasons why. The youngest daughter, years later, marries the counts nephew and beings plotting revenge.
Barbara Steele is in it, that's all I need to say. It was a great horror film.
This marathon is starting to pick up now it seems. happy days

Old 22nd October 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleakshaun View Post
The Long Hair of Death

A mother is burned as a witch and her eldest daughter is murdered after confronting the count about the reasons why. The youngest daughter, years later, marries the counts nephew and beings plotting revenge.
Barbara Steele is in it, that's all I need to say. It was a great horror film.
This marathon is starting to pick up now it seems. happy days
A classic slice of Italian Gothic. Great choice.
Old 22nd October 2020, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A classic slice of Italian Gothic. Great choice.
I was going to watch it in last years October marathon, but couldn't get timing right due to work commitments

Like this? Share it using the links below!