Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd October 2021, 10:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Scream. It's not that long since I watched this - January 2020 in fact - but for some reason I was just in the exact right mood and went for it, and I'm glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed it all over again, even more than the most recent time. Great scary fun.
Old 22nd October 2021, 11:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Wasp Woman. 1959.

Janice Starlin is the head of a major cosmetic company and loosing her young looks, she decides to try e experiment on herself with royal jelly from wasps that has dire consequences.

Did this film inspire the story for Roald Dahl with the episode from Tales Of The Unexpected? A year earlier we were given The Fly so why not do a female version of another insect and we see the film's budget put to use with a strange mask. This isn't Roger Corman's best film's with just over a hour it does seem a bit rushed and could have made it a bit longer, i'm not complaining as I did enjoy it.

p6932_p_v13_aa.jpg
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:19 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
"not once have i ever thought of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre as a horror comedy."

Seriously??? Its hilarious in places! The dinner table scene, trying to help poor grandad conk Sally on the head with a hammer? I was in stitches first time I watched it.
The more I watch Texas the more i find it funny in a very dark way, for instance the "What have you done to the door?" moment feels sitcom like in a way. And the whole hitchhiker segment.
But i didn't find Evil dead comedic the first time I watched it, but the more I see it the more i find it funny. I think a lot of these type of films, once you get over the scare factor it becomes funnier.

And yes the last time i watched The Exorcist i found it quite amusing.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:26 AM
Cult Addict

I think American Werewolf is exemplary as a modern horror comedy, It's scary but also very funny in places, same as Re-animator and Return of the living dead as in it sets out to be horrifying but also has a lot of tongue in cheek throw away lines that make it funny.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Werewolf Of Washington. 1973.

A reporter sent to Hungary is bitten by a wolf and is transferred back to Washington to be a aid for the president and turns into a werewolf.

This is somewhat tongue in cheek horror mixed with some comical dialogue, Dean Stockwell plays the reporter Jack and finds himself turning into a creature when the full moon is out. The way the make-up is done it looks like a homage to I was A Teenage Werewolf and the false teeth look very uncomfortable. It does go back and forth to being bad then actually quite good, with some bits being overally stupid. Who would go on a plane with people who don't understand English very well, see a man called jack and say "Hi Jack"?

3960902-2697510.jpg
Old 23rd October 2021, 06:31 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
That scene i find really disturbing. More than any other in the film.

The thought of not quite hard enough hammer blows slowly knocking the life out of you, as your head begins to spin, your eyes lose focus, you slowly begin to black out, as you hear the cracking of your own skull followed by the softer sound of the hammer landing on brain tissue.
Oh it is disturbing. But it's the absurdity that makes it very darkly funny. That's why TCM works so well, for me at least. I think it exposes something about us the viewer that deep down we are amused.
Given the sequel is supposed to be more comedic I actually didn't find it funny at all. Or disturbing. Just kind of meh.
Old 23rd October 2021, 07:00 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
David Naughton's naked shenanigans in the zoo, particularly stealing a small boy's balloons, is something I always laugh at

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
The more I watch Texas the more i find it funny in a very dark way, for instance the "What have you done to the door?" moment feels sitcom like in a way. And the whole hitchhiker segment.
But i didn't find Evil dead comedic the first time I watched it, but the more I see it the more i find it funny. I think a lot of these type of films, once you get over the scare factor it becomes funnier.

And yes the last time i watched The Exorcist i found it quite amusing.

The Exorcist doesn't do anything for me on any level. Just a dull poorly made mess of a film I found it to be.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:25 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

FRANKIE'S HALLOWEEN SPECTACULAR #9

21/10/21

ASYLUM OF DARKNESS – Guy escapes from an asylum and finds himself in a slightly wooden version of ‘Lost Highway’, in which faceless spectres and various rubbery monstrosities pursue him whilst he struggles to figure out the mystery of a blind man’s painting. ‘Asylum Of Darkness’ offers sporadic bursts of cheap prosthetic gore and very much keeps with the sozzled surrealism of the director’s other notable work (‘Beyond Dream’s Door’). Ultimately it fails to come to terms with its long run time (a highly tangible two hours, at least some of which is dominated by some very confusing conversations), but still I liked the heartfelt weirdness of this indie oddity.

22/10/21

BLOODY MOON – The reason I like ‘Bloody Moon’ is that it really does answer the question “what would it be like if Jess Franco did a cheap American-style slasher, and would it be amazing?” – well, a film this outrageously dumb has to fall a little short of ‘amazing’, but watching him dally with the mainstream with something quite linear but still steeped in his trademark seedy expressionism is quite gratifying. ‘Bloody Moon’ may be atypical Franco in a way, but is also a good introduction for those who can’t necessarily be arsed with his excesses (if you want those there’s plenty to choose from, see below).

KILLER BARBYS – This is Jess Franco being Jess Franco – rampant atmosphere, doesn’t make sense at all, attempts at eroticism that are just dull or slimy, and absolutely no f*cks given. The ‘Killer Barbys’ (sic) are a punk band who end up stranded in the crumbling mansion of a Princess Bathory type; various gothic goings-on ensue, along with bits of really cheap, rubbish gore. One line goes that most of this, from the lame humour to the overlong scenes of not-even-very-visible people shagging in the back of a Winnebago, is abysmal. But somehow Franco’s morbid poetry shines through it all. Somehow, he is able to weave a threadbare tapestry of decaying opulence, shots of grotesque little objects, and mist-shrouded exteriors, and make it seem far more alluring than anything else put out in 1996. Many others won’t share that view, but this is definitely one for the fans.
Old 23rd October 2021, 11:35 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Maybe i should watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre again. I've seen it once on dvd and once on vhs.

It seemed very dull for an hour. All i recall is kids driving around basically doing nothing.

Give me House of 1000 Corpses any day. Now that is wickedly funny.
Justin101 and MrBarlow like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!