LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st October 2022, 10:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Salem's Lot (1979)

3hrs just fly by when you watch Salem's Lot, there are so many amazing scenes, including Danny Glick tapping on Mark's window, Mr Barlow materialising from a pile of rags in the Petrie kitchen and Mr Barlow awaking inside his coffin. However the one scene that freaked me out the most as a kid is when Ned and Mike are collecting the 'sideboard' from the docks to bring it back to the Marsden house. It still amazes me to this day that it's a TV movie!
I've heard there's a 24 hour long directors cut where Mr. Barlow watches films. Dozens of f*cking films, one after the other.
Old 1st October 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've heard there's a 24 hour long directors cut where Mr. Barlow watches films. Dozens of f*cking films, one after the other.
Coming soon to your screens 31st October 2022...don't miss out
Old 1st October 2022, 10:50 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Nice image you posted up Justin Ralphie Glick tapping on the window and Mike appearing at Jason's house with the eyes freaked me out on the first viewing.
It sacred the shit out of me when I watched it as a kid didn't sleep for weeks.
Old 1st October 2022, 10:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
It sacred the shit out of me when I watched it as a kid didn't sleep probably for weeks.
The scenes where Danny sits up in the coffin and with Ned in the cell, I almost shit myself
Old 1st October 2022, 11:24 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Needful Things. 1993.

In the town of Castle Rock, a new shop opens with people's hidden desires that come with a price they never expected.

Based on the Stephen King book, yeah this does have some changes it's bad enough reading about a child committing suicide in the book but the makers changed that and a character getting a different gift.

Max Von Sydow plays the proprietor Leland Gaunt who seems to be the devil in disguise. Sheriff Alan Pangborn from The Dark Half returns but this time played by Ed Harris and shows how good of a acting he is with his big speech. Bonnie Bedelia plays the love interest to Alan and is certainly Bonnie in her night wear ...ahem J.T. Walsh plays the town Danforth Keeton and seems to be the Buster of jokes. W. Morgan Shepherd and Don S. Davis play the two religious fanatics on the opposite side of religion which can be a laugh.

This is has always been a favorite of mine since I first saw it when BBC 1 aired it and at the time I did give out a few laughs, only thing that puzzles me it's meant to be like the devil visiting a town yet somehow Ava Maria plays in the background while Amanda Plummer and Valri Bromfield have a bit of girl on girl fight.

51IDKTtZIwL._AC_SY445_.jpg

Not on my list but late addition to it Suspiria 2018 up next
Old 2nd October 2022, 02:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Suspiria. 2018.

American Susie Bannion travels to Germany to study ballet but feels that the accidents and homicides that are happening round the school may be linked to something darker and sinister.

One of Dario's classic film to be remade in modern day time, director Luca Guadagnino didn't exactly follow Argento's colour tone too much but he did manage corporate the dark tone from the original and mix it with such great acting performances. Tilda Swinton shows how much of a great actress she is by doing three roles, two of which are under great make-up that may or may not be easy for her to sit through. For someone who actually hated this the first time, it's certainly more enjoyable and brava for the cast to put on such a good dance that was well choreographed.

suspiria-md-web.jpg

Up Next to watch Witchery, post will come later.
Old 2nd October 2022, 08:47 AM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Needful Things. 1993.
I've been thinking for ages that I have seen and tried to read Needful Things and I didn't like it. In fact, thinking that it has been the only King book I started and gave up within the first 100 pages.

I have just realised that I have been mixing it up with The Tommyknockers and I have in fact never read or seen Needful Things I am right in thinking that this IS the mini series that is forthcoming in UHD 4k ??? haha I'm going to check it out.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd October 2022, 12:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

CANDYMAN – I’ve always liked Bernard Rose’s original, but I’ve never loved it. I went into Nia DaCosta’s revision without the kind of expectations that usually inspire lots of yowling on the part of ‘the fans’, hoping only that it would at least offer something as interesting as Tony Todd, Phillip Glass and images of mouths full of bees. I wasn’t disappointed at all. It’s a really classy piece of filmmaking that in many ways surpasses the original; different approach, different themes, different look, but still there’s a guy running around with a hook for a hand, what more do you want. Aesthetically it’s very nice. There’s plenty of blood spilled between all the pretty shots, and the splatter itself looks highly finessed. This lovely visual sensibility occasionally tips over into outright flamboyance – what about the murder of that art critic? Such a great manoeuvre, could’ve easily found a home in an Argento flick. ‘Candyman’ also contains little bits and pieces that always tick a box in my horror-hungry heart, namely the presence of ‘the haunted art object’ and Seth Brundle-esque transformative body horror. Neither are quite mined to the fullest extent, but they’re there. Social commentary, always part of the original, is more of a pressing concern in this movie, and it hits the mark on racist oppression, cultural capital, class and gentrification without becoming an essay. Just in sheer dramatic terms I thought it fell down a bit at the end, with the ceremonial creation of the new candyman – it seemed a bit blunt after such a well-manicured build – but overall, I thought it really worked. Tony T even turns up pre-credits, which was nice. There, that’s only four mentions of ‘candyman’ so far – phew. Don’t ask me if I’m looking in a mirror though, I always am.
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
CANDYMAN – I’ve always liked Bernard Rose’s original, but I’ve never loved it. I went into Nia DaCosta’s revision without the kind of expectations that usually inspire lots of yowling on the part of ‘the fans’, hoping only that it would at least offer something as interesting as Tony Todd, Phillip Glass and images of mouths full of bees. I wasn’t disappointed at all. It’s a really classy piece of filmmaking that in many ways surpasses the original; different approach, different themes, different look, but still there’s a guy running around with a hook for a hand, what more do you want. Aesthetically it’s very nice. There’s plenty of blood spilled between all the pretty shots, and the splatter itself looks highly finessed. This lovely visual sensibility occasionally tips over into outright flamboyance – what about the murder of that art critic? Such a great manoeuvre, could’ve easily found a home in an Argento flick. ‘Candyman’ also contains little bits and pieces that always tick a box in my horror-hungry heart, namely the presence of ‘the haunted art object’ and Seth Brundle-esque transformative body horror. Neither are quite mined to the fullest extent, but they’re there. Social commentary, always part of the original, is more of a pressing concern in this movie, and it hits the mark on racist oppression, cultural capital, class and gentrification without becoming an essay. Just in sheer dramatic terms I thought it fell down a bit at the end, with the ceremonial creation of the new candyman – it seemed a bit blunt after such a well-manicured build – but overall, I thought it really worked. Tony T even turns up pre-credits, which was nice. There, that’s only four mentions of ‘candyman’ so far – phew. Don’t ask me if I’m looking in a mirror though, I always am.
I fancy watching this now. Nice write up, Frankie.
Old 2nd October 2022, 12:39 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 1st.

Trick or Treat (1986)

Although it's a bit of a rip off of Phantom of the Paradise (1974), De Palma didn't have Ozzy Osbourne as an evangelical preacher or Gene Simmons, excellent here as a local radio DJ.

OTT in all the right places, Trick or Treat is a blast from start to finish as a young fan (Marc Price) brings recently deceased rock god Sammi Curr (a malevolent Tony Field) back to life at the high school Halloween dance with catastrophic results. Curr himself is a great creation reminiscent of W.A.S.P.'s Blackie Lawless with the added guitar god turns of Eddie Van Halen.

Wildly entertaining, this high school horror film featuring a killer soundtrack from 80's metal band Fastway should be near the top of any rock n' rollers Halloween viewing.

Like this? Share it using the links below!