Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's one of those nights for me Dem
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

To The Devil A Daughter. 1976.

A American occult novelist tries to save the soul of a young woman from satanists.

The Devil Rides Out and This one are two great novels by Dennis Wheatley made in to films starring Christopher Lee, one as a savior and in this a ex communicated priest now a satanic cult devil worshiper. Despite this being a Hammer Horror film this was not their finest film and not as dark as I remembered the novel being, with Richard Widmark trying to help the soul of Nastassja Kinski's soul can have it's tense moments and decent pacing.

81HyVx+It8L._AC_SX522_.jpg

Up next Wrong Turn
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:20 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I've really grown to appreciate To The Devil A Daughter. For me it's only minus is the really crap ending.

Glad Mr.B watched it as i hadn't got it in my to-watch pile. I'll see if i can fit it in somewhere.
nicholasrope and MrBarlow like this.
Old 22nd October 2022, 11:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I've really grown to appreciate To The Devil A Daughter. For me it's only minus is the really crap ending.

Glad Mr.B watched it as i hadn't got it in my to-watch pile. I'll see if i can fit it in somewhere.
I'm sure you will be able to fit it in somewhere Dem, To The Devil A Daughter will probably grow on me. The Devil Rides Out took two watches for it to grow on me.

I liked your comment on The Witches, one that I didn't rate highly at first but has grown on me and more appreciated now.
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:02 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Wrong Turn. 2003.

Five friends and a stranger become stranded on the back roads of West Virginia and become hunted by violent cannibalistic men.

A nice little tense horror that starts 10-15 minutes after the post credit scene with the two rock climbers. Aside from a few jokes or comments from Jeremy Sisto about reminding people of the film Deliverence, the film does become quite intense with the strangers in a different area and the mountain people know it like the back of their three fingers. Aside from Sisto Eliza Dushku, Desmond Harrington and Emmanuelle Chriqui play the reasonable thinkers and know who the strongest ones are. Nice atmospheric movie.

51yWM3meC9L._AC_SY445_.jpg

Up next Wrong Turn 2
Old 23rd October 2022, 11:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

THE INNKEEPERS – Sara Paxton and Pat Heely are slacker paranormal enthusiasts who work the night desk at a hotel with a past; one of their final guests is burned out actress-turned-healer Kelly McGillis, who seems to know more than she’s letting on. ‘The Innkeepers’ is another of those movies that I revisit without quite knowing why. Over the years it's risen in my estimation to the point where I think it’s one of my fave ‘haunting’-type films, despite the fact that it doesn’t really strike out with anything new. And it’s weird, even though I remember its specifics and turn-of-events enough to feel certain I know what it’s about and how I’ll feel when I see it, I often put it on full of the same kind of trepidation I have when I’m trying to remember what happened in a vaguely troubling dream. That might all be purely subjective, but the film’s slightly magnetic ‘off’ vibe could just as easily be down to Ti West’s masterful handling of the slow-burn and his ability to capture a feeling of imminence. I can break down the attraction, a bit. Paxton and Heely’s double act is well-performed and seems relaxed and amiable at first, but there’s a tension beneath the surface that I can’t quite pin, even after Heely starts coming across as borderline creepy. Then of course there are the strange angles and the long, still shots, the gliding camera that so effectively suggests unseen presence, technical aspects West carried over from ‘House Of The Devil’. Odd encounters add flavour to the pot, which, echoing HOD once again, boils over into full-on horror by the end and gives us a resolution involving a cellar, some jump scares and a bit of gore. This splurge of (relatively) more explicit stuff doesn’t seem as effective as when he did the same thing in HOD, but the coda is unexpectedly bleak. There’s a lightness to the start of ‘The Innkeepers’ that slowly drains; I love films that centralise a feeling of simmering dread, and, although the general consensus seems to be that it’s not one of his best, I think ‘The Innkeepers’ really evokes that sense of gradually descending murk.
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

WNUF Halloween Special (2013)

Having heard this decribed as "the US Ghostwatch", I felt I had to give it a go. It certainly looks like something "taped off tv", I'll give you that.
Haunted house, live broadcast yadda yadda etc. Whilst it does the set up reasonably, I felt that the payoff was a tad flat, though this may be residual fatigue from Deadstream haha. Will give it another look more than likely tbh ...

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 23rd October 2022, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
WNUF Halloween Special (2013)

Having heard this decribed as "the US Ghostwatch", I felt I had to give it a go. It certainly looks like something "taped off tv", I'll give you that.
Haunted house, live broadcast yadda yadda etc. Whilst it does the set up reasonably, I felt that the payoff was a tad flat, though this may be residual fatigue from Deadstream haha. Will give it another look more than likely tbh ...
This was the worst film I viewed last year for Halloween, I found it so tedious and was surprised by the number of positive reviews it had hated it!!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 23rd October 2022, 02:31 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 21

H20.jpg

20 years after that faithful night in Haddonsfield and Laurie is rebuilding her life after faking her own death to escape her past. She is now a headmistress of a top school living with her 17 year old son and a new romantic relationship with a co worker life is peachy ......... For now.

Yeah first time I have seen H2O big whoop wanna fight about it

This film is so 90s really a brough me back to my baggy jeans and spikey hair days... Ohh the shame . Anyway back to the task at hand H2O is an awesome film the kills are great and some are quite brutal you gotta love when Michael gets a little too carried about with the old butchers knives leaving you saying Jesus Mick he can't get any more dead safe your energy for the rest. The story is really great I love the way Michael finds out how to find Laurie breaking into the nurses house and kicking us odd with some creative kills with the ice skate to the face. The whole film is just fun with some very memorable scenes my favourite has to be Micheal lowering his way down from an overhead pipe axe in hand very creepy how slowly and silently he did it. I absolutely loved the ending watching Micheal reach out to Laurie with an almost child like apologetic look in his eye a really great touch for me.

Once again Halloween 2018 strikes again with a scene stolen straight from this with the mother and child in the bathroom stalls.

A great surprise and may I add LL Cool J Is the worst security guard i have ever seen he has one job don't open the gate what does he do over and over again
Old 23rd October 2022, 02:50 PM
Cult Master

30 Days Of Unseen Horror

Day 22

MV5BYmYyYWQ2ZmEtYTEzZi00OGExLWE0YTItOGYyODBhY2M4NDI1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTYzMTc4MzY@._V1_.jpg

Before The Munsters move stateside Lilly and Hermin fall in love back in Transilvania after Lilly sees Hermin on a TV show where his creator is unvailing him to the world for the first time it's love at first sight but The Count is not impressed not wanting a bafoon as a member of his family. With a mix up in brains instead of getting the brain of a genius Hermin is given the brain of the geniuss brothers brain who is a bad stand up comedian. Hermin becomes a famous rock start and after one of his gigs Lilly comes to visit and the rest is history. On their wedding day Hermin is tricked into signing over the deeds to the counts house to a gypsy and ex wife of the count and after receiving an evitions notice The Munsters head to America.

The Munsters looks beautiful with amazing looking sets and tons of beautiful neon lighting everywhere. The characters and costumes all look brilliant and the characters themself are all really fun and appear to be having a blast. But utsvthe humour that some will struggle with it can seem a little lame but Rob Zombie obviously wanted to keep the tone inline with the TV show and you have to appluad him for that he could of just made a red neck munsters of the rampage flick but he tried to stay true. He did do some great things to tie into the show small touches but fans of the show will notice and appreciate this touches and at the end of the day he made it for the fans. You gotta go in knowing this is gonna be campy and light-hearted fun as I said sometimes the humour is a miss but I did still enjoy the film my main problem is the length at almost two hours it's way too long and 70 to 90 minutes max would of been perfect trimming back some of the fluff.

I can see this splitting the audience down the middle I enjoyed it but not sure how often I'd rewatch it. It is left open for a sequel to tie up a few more things before the timeline of the show but I'm not sure if we will see one from Rob Zombie or anyone else.

Like this? Share it using the links below!