Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree26818Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st November 2022, 12:30 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Howling. 1981.

A news reader is sent to a retreat called "The Colony" after a bizarre attack from a serial killer and discovers everyone there is a werewolf.

Classic werewolf film from the novel by Gary Bradner starring Dee Wallace as the news reader who has a fan called Eddie played by Robert Picardo and is attacked. Patrick Macnee plays the counsellor who encourages her to go with the husband to the retreat. Director Joe Dante does a decent job with this with the creating the perfect setting for a pack, dark toned atmosphere and great special effects designed by Rob Bottin.

The_Howling_(1981_film)_poster.jpg

This is where i'm finishing, done the 24 hours horror binge, surprised I actually done it. Thanks for all the likes this month. Have a good evening all, my is calling me.
Old 1st November 2022, 03:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default The Simpsons Halloween Special

THE SIMPSONS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Been catching up on some of the classic Simpsons Halloween specials. They’re all great, but I’m just going to mention my favourite parts.

Treehouse of Horror I

Best segment: The Raven

Beautifully animated and superbly narrated adaptation of the classic Poe tale. Although very humourous, it does capture the terrifying loneliness of the source material. This segment alone persuaded a very young me to borrow a Poe collection from my local library. Children should be forced to watch this episode to kickstart a love of literature.

Best line

Homer on the phone to the estate agent: “When you sold me this house, you forgot to mention one little thing. You didn’t tell me it was built on an Indian burial ground!... NO, YOU DIDN’T!... Well, that’s not my recollection… Yeah, well… all right. Goodbye. [hangs up] He says he mentioned it five or six times.

Treehouse of Horror II

Best segment: The Monkey’s Paw

This whole episode is a bit of a step down from the previous one, but The Monkey’s Paw is brilliant piece of satire mocking the programme’s cultural impact, as well the merchandising.

Best line

Kang the alien after being chased away by an irate Moe: “That board with a nail in it may have defeated us, but the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails. Soon they’ll make a board with a nail so big it will destroy them all!”

Treehouse of Horror III

Best Segment

Ooh, a tough one. King Homer is funny, but Clown Without Pity and Dial Z For Zombies are loaded with incredible comedic moments and one-liners. CWP has the creepy merchant selling cursed frozen yoghurt (“which I call frogurt!”) and Z has Homer gunning down Washington, Einstein, and Shakespeare. As much as I adore Dial Z For Zombies, I’m going with Clown Without Pity for having the best line.

Best line

Homer pleading to Marge for help: “The doll’s trying to kill me and the toaster’s been laughing at me!”

Treehouse of Horror IV

Best Segment: The Devil and Homer Simpson

Every segment is a gem loaded with sparkling one-liners, but the first segment is chockful of imaginative animation. Homer’s descent to Hell is fantastic, as well as the Ironic Punishment labs bit where a demon gives Homer all of the doughnuts in the world.

Best line

Grandpa running in with a hammer and stake: “Quick! We have to kill the boy!”

Marge: “How do you know he’s a vampire?”

Grandpa: “He’s a vampire?” [runs off screaming]

Treehouse of Horror V

Best segment: The Shinning

Another laugh filled episode, with a tremendous running gag involving Groundskeeper Willie. The Shinning gets the top spot due to one genuinely impressive horror moment, when Marge learns about Homer’s state of mind. Her comment “Oh, this is not encouraging,” is a thigh-slapper.

Best line

Homer, after going back in time and accidentally killing all of the dinosaurs: “This is going to cost me…”

Treehouse of Horror VI

Best segment: Homer3

To be honest, this is one of the weaker episodes, but this segment has some (at the time groundbreaking) fascinating CG animation that the animators have a lot of fun with.

Best line

Groundskeeper Willie (channeling Freddy Kruger), before he kills the Latin-spouting Martin: “You’ve mastered a dead tongue. Can you handle a living one?”

Treehouse of Horror VII

Best segment: Citizen Kang

Possibly one of the funniest segments ever, almost every line and frame is designed to raise a chuckle. From a frustrated Homer screaming at fish, to Bill Clinton and Bob Dole holding hands – I’m always crying with laughter at this episode.

Best line

Arguably the greatest line ever. After being enslaved by aliens and forced to build a death laser cannon, Homer avoids all responsibility: “Don’t blame me. I voted for Kodos!”
Old 1st November 2022, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBlayne View Post
THE SIMPSONS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Been catching up on some of the classic Simpsons Halloween specials. They’re all great, but I’m just going to mention my favourite parts.

Treehouse of Horror I

Best segment: The Raven

Beautifully animated and superbly narrated adaptation of the classic Poe tale. Although very humourous, it does capture the terrifying loneliness of the source material. This segment alone persuaded a very young me to borrow a Poe collection from my local library. Children should be forced to watch this episode to kickstart a love of literature.

Best line

Homer on the phone to the estate agent: “When you sold me this house, you forgot to mention one little thing. You didn’t tell me it was built on an Indian burial ground!... NO, YOU DIDN’T!... Well, that’s not my recollection… Yeah, well… all right. Goodbye. [hangs up] He says he mentioned it five or six times.

Treehouse of Horror II

Best segment: The Monkey’s Paw

This whole episode is a bit of a step down from the previous one, but The Monkey’s Paw is brilliant piece of satire mocking the programme’s cultural impact, as well the merchandising.

Best line

Kang the alien after being chased away by an irate Moe: “That board with a nail in it may have defeated us, but the humans won’t stop there. They’ll make bigger boards and bigger nails. Soon they’ll make a board with a nail so big it will destroy them all!”

Treehouse of Horror III

Best Segment

Ooh, a tough one. King Homer is funny, but Clown Without Pity and Dial Z For Zombies are loaded with incredible comedic moments and one-liners. CWP has the creepy merchant selling cursed frozen yoghurt (“which I call frogurt!”) and Z has Homer gunning down Washington, Einstein, and Shakespeare. As much as I adore Dial Z For Zombies, I’m going with Clown Without Pity for having the best line.

Best line

Homer pleading to Marge for help: “The doll’s trying to kill me and the toaster’s been laughing at me!”

Treehouse of Horror IV

Best Segment: The Devil and Homer Simpson

Every segment is a gem loaded with sparkling one-liners, but the first segment is chockful of imaginative animation. Homer’s descent to Hell is fantastic, as well as the Ironic Punishment labs bit where a demon gives Homer all of the doughnuts in the world.

Best line

Grandpa running in with a hammer and stake: “Quick! We have to kill the boy!”

Marge: “How do you know he’s a vampire?”

Grandpa: “He’s a vampire?” [runs off screaming]

Treehouse of Horror V

Best segment: The Shinning

Another laugh filled episode, with a tremendous running gag involving Groundskeeper Willie. The Shinning gets the top spot due to one genuinely impressive horror moment, when Marge learns about Homer’s state of mind. Her comment “Oh, this is not encouraging,” is a thigh-slapper.

Best line

Homer, after going back in time and accidentally killing all of the dinosaurs: “This is going to cost me…”

Treehouse of Horror VI

Best segment: Homer3

To be honest, this is one of the weaker episodes, but this segment has some (at the time groundbreaking) fascinating CG animation that the animators have a lot of fun with.

Best line

Groundskeeper Willie (channeling Freddy Kruger), before he kills the Latin-spouting Martin: “You’ve mastered a dead tongue. Can you handle a living one?”

Treehouse of Horror VII

Best segment: Citizen Kang

Possibly one of the funniest segments ever, almost every line and frame is designed to raise a chuckle. From a frustrated Homer screaming at fish, to Bill Clinton and Bob Dole holding hands – I’m always crying with laughter at this episode.

Best line

Arguably the greatest line ever. After being enslaved by aliens and forced to build a death laser cannon, Homer avoids all responsibility: “Don’t blame me. I voted for Kodos!”
The amount of times I watched these episodes and just about spat or choked on.my coffee is unbelievable.
Justin101, MacBlayne and Demoncrat like this.
Old 1st November 2022, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

One last one then ....

Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022, David Blue Garcia)

What a palaver. Zoomers rock up in a "ghost town" in order to "make a better world". Sadly some locals don't agree. Grotty and hilarious in equal measures, this was an undemanding watch tbh. The moral being .... always check the paperwork

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 1st November 2022, 07:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And October's gone.....just like that.....

Anyway,here's what else I watched during October....

COUNT YORGA VAMPIRE
New Arrow set is well worth the upgrade.
This is an entertaining variation on Dracula signalling the end of the sixties and an attempt to bring the gothic vampire into the seventies.
Kitten lovers beware!

RETURN OF COUNT YORGA
Did the old double bill routine here and I actually thought the sequel was better.
Creepier than the original with the count terrorizing an orphanage!

DEATH GAME
I never ever thought much of Sondra Locke but in this gem uncovered by Grindhouse releasing,she's extremely sexy and nasty.
The inspiration for the Keanu Reeves film Knock,Knock,this is far superior.

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD 4K UHD
Yep the BEST zombie movie ever made (And that includes Dawn) looks INCREDIBLE in this Criterion Edition.
Throw away your last edition-the Blu Ray dis is included in this superb package.

SCREAM 2 4K UHD
One of the best sequels to one of the best slashers ever,the upgrade to 4K is well worth it.
Neve Campbell.
Babe.
Always was always will be.

THE DEAD ZONE
Along with Videodrome,Cronenberg's finest hour as Christopher Walken puts in a terrific performance as the psychic Johnny Smith inflicted with the 'gift' of second sight.A first class cast for a first class film.
The Imprint disc is the ultimate edition.
One of my favourite films ever.

A CANDLE FOR THE DEVIL
I found this a wee bit slow,but the grisly finale was worth the wait.
Not a patch on the director's Horror Express.

MANIAC
Bill Lustig's bleak and harrowing slasher finally arrives in the UK courtesy of 88.Joe Spinell really was one of the most underrated actors in the seventies.
Loaded with extras as well.

FRIDAY THE 13TH 4K UHD
Classic first installment of the Jason saga.
I've saw geeks on YT shouting for this to be recalled due to the pic quality.
Bullshit-it's never looked better.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st November 2022, 09:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

While battling his usual foes who are teaming up against him, he investigates a case that started with a murder on Halloween and more follow on other holidays that have links to Gothams underworld.

Another enjoyable DC movie.
Old 1st November 2022, 10:42 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Default October 31st. Halloween

Well my October horror marathon came to a lovely end with a Blu-ray double bill of Halloween (1978) and Halloween II (1981). Two films that seemingly seamlessly interlink to give you three hours of 'The Night He Came Home'. Halloween II looks phenomenal in comparison to the Sanctuary dvd i also own.

The final film i watched afterwards was The Werewolf (1956).

A new to me horror / sci-fi film i wanted to watch so i could put my Sam Katzman Arrow box set away.

A film about a man on the run from scientists who have performed radiation experiments on him. He holes up in a small desert town as the authorities close in.

I really enjoyed this. It's more like a classic Universal monster film as in 1941's The Wolf Man than it is a fifties sci-fi film. Proceedings are helped greatly by a very good sympathetic performance from Steven Ritch as the Werewolf and some fine trick photography for the transformation scenes. It's a film that rattles along at a decent pace as it heads towards it's cat and mouse conclusion. To be honest there's nothing especially original on offer here but what there is is certainly a cut above.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The_werewolf_1956_film_produced_by_sam_katzman.jpg (26.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 1st November 2022, 10:49 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A big Thank you to everyone who has posted their reviews of their October Horror Movie Marathons.

Yet again they've been a joy to read, and going off the number of 'likes' every single review has achieved i'm not the only one who thought that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg halloween-quotes-tim-burton-1632149772 (Medium).jpg (15.0 KB, 73 views)
Old 1st November 2022, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
A big Thank you to everyone who has posted their reviews of their October Horror Movie Marathons.

Yet again they've been a joy to read, and going off the number of 'likes' every single review has achieved i'm not the only one who thought that.

This was a interesting year, some films repeated and new ones for me and thanks to all that recommended Trick "R" Treat for me, can see now why you guys enjoy it. Word of advice...Never do a 24 hour binge when you hit 40 years old.
Old 2nd November 2022, 02:24 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default May the Devil Take You

Just dropping a few short reviews because I was too busy with crafting the past week to write up on here.

MAY THE DEVIL TAKE YOU

Indonesian horror from the madman who brought us the modern action classic, The Night Comes for Us. Timo Tjahjanto’s tale of demonic possession borrows a little too much from The Evil Dead to be a stand-alone great within the genre. However, it’s in its quieter moments that the film shines. Moments like doors opening, something shuffling in the out-of-focus background, something darting around the corner, or shadows emerging from the inky black, are captured with such skill that you can feel the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. And although the rest of the film is a thrilling, fun and gruesome adventure, it cannot compare to those moments. Tjahjanto has proven himself to be an extremely gifted filmmaker, so here’s hoping he can ditch the adherence to Sam Raimi, and push forward with his own style.

Like this? Share it using the links below!