Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: How important is sex in your horror films?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
How important is sex in your horror films?

Like Tree88Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th October 2014, 01:04 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

I'm not voting in the poll because there isn't a category for me.

It's a necessity for the films in some genres.
Old 12th October 2014, 01:11 PM
Active Cultist

Not important so long as the film is really good, but at the same time I won't turn off a film if some bush or balls shows up, in fact I'd be happy to see it.
Old 12th October 2014, 01:41 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Dem's a 12 year old boy! Ban him!

I do get where your coming from in some respects though Dem, but I've never found it to be a necessity. Even in the sub-genres you've mentioned, I've never found myself thinking: "that really could of done with more sex and nudity" once a film had ended. They're just secondary elements (added bonuses if you will) and whilst sometimes beneficial, never really take precedence over the plot, atmosphere, cinematography, effects, score etc. - they are what constitute the bulk of the film package for me, sex and nudity is often just the bow on top
Vipp likes this.
Old 12th October 2014, 01:57 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I'm not voting in the poll because there isn't a category for me.

It's a necessity for the films in some genres.
I didn't want to explore sub-genre Dem just the general genre of Horror. Whilst i understand your not countering this argument i would mention that I'm not advocating nudity to be removed from horror just asking how many of use feel it would be missed if not included at any level.

I can't imagine Sleep away camp would be the same film if we didn't see the todger at the end for example. I am just fed up of trying to argue that nudity (whilst in most horror films) really isn't all just tasteless attempts to see a couple of nipples in a forested area.

I'm currently watching Funhouse by Tobe Hooper and he has a carnival that has three nude women modeling. I can't say that an American carnival of it's time wouldn't have had this kind of entertainment but it MAY be safe to say that the male characters egging the female characters (Whom they are trying to date and ultimately get intimate with) to 'take a look' would be somewhat alien IF those women are anything like the women i have ever taken on a date. so when i watch the film and say for example the other half notices i have three nude women on my screen, it can make for a difficult occasion to try and explain WHY i watch these films and WHY Arrow should take some of our low income per month... my issue is, im loosing the fight - i enjoy films about messed up monsters that want to eat people in a carnival setting BUT i personally couldn't give a hoot if i saw any nudity or not in said films BUT i do live with people who DO care and i can't always give good reasons for me wanting these films.
So i thought (rather than pack my Tutu and Arrow film collection then movie in to Ron's basement) i would try and find some better reasons from guys who know lots more than i do. (that's all of you).

I can see that the poll is going very well and lots of you guys are like myself - nudity is a 'take it or leave it' kind of thing in horror movies. And even if we have folks here that do want nudity in horror films that isn't a bad thing, I'm not against it or wanting it gone.

If that didn't settle your mind i am happy to have you add the fourth entry to the Poll and see if that helps others take the poll too.

and again i can;t thank you all enough for respecting this issue to the point where we can debate it with some respect as we are. at this stage i am usually dodging coffee mugs in our house!
Old 12th October 2014, 01:57 PM
Cultist

It's quite important as I'm quite a fan of exploitation cinema and you can't have exploitation without piles of pointless, random nudity. Quite a few sub genres demand it! It goes hand in hand with the eroticism of the vampire myth. A few scenes are needed in a good slasher movie. Linnea Quigley's filmography etc. etc.

I'm obviously not gonna complain about the lack of it in something that's aiming to be suspenseful like Ringu (nude girls coming out of the TV would have made that a completely different movie altogether!).

So it all depends on what type of horror you're talking!
Old 12th October 2014, 02:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shel View Post
It's quite important as I'm quite a fan of exploitation cinema and you can't have exploitation without piles of pointless, random nudity. Quite a few sub genres demand it! It goes hand in hand with the eroticism of the vampire myth. A few scenes are needed in a good slasher movie. Linnea Quigley's filmography etc. etc.

I'm obviously not gonna complain about the lack of it in something that's aiming to be suspenseful like Ringu (nude girls coming out of the TV would have made that a completely different movie altogether!).

So it all depends on what type of horror you're talking!
Exactly.

I love Franco and Rollin films, i'm not going to be hypocritical and say their films would be better off without any sex or nudity.

So just as Shel says it all depends on the genre of horror we intend to watch. You don't need exploitation in The Others however if you watched The Nude Vampire you'd feel a little short changed without the exploitative elements.
Old 12th October 2014, 02:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Exactly.

I love Franco and Rollin films, i'm not going to be hypocritical and say their films would be better off without any sex or nudity.

So just as Shel says it all depends on the genre of horror we intend to watch. You don't need exploitation in The Others however if you watched The Nude Vampire you'd feel a little short changed without the exploitative elements.
I wouldn't argue against these well observed points Shel and yourself have given (That i would also give IF i were trying to watch exploitation flicks at home) i would say exploitation is a genre with Horror being a sub with in it's ranks.

so this poll is just your opinion on average straightforward horror films. try to avoid going to far from the path of your general horror - EG: Friday 13th skinny dipping scene sort of nudity.

I'm asking if you feel Funhouse needed to have a tent in it's many tents of the carnival with nipple tassel dancing... not weather or not Argento should be making his actresses wear burka's in all of this films.

i will leave censorship to those who feel they have sh*t that smells better than everyone elses. (BBFC) this poll has an alternative point to make (if it doesn't translate as different i haven't explained myself well enough)
Old 12th October 2014, 02:37 PM
Cult Addict

Perhaps the more important question is: who enjoys having sex whilst watching horror films?
Old 12th October 2014, 02:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipp View Post
I wouldn't argue against these well observed points Shel and yourself have given (That i would also give IF i were trying to watch exploitation flicks at home) i would say exploitation is a genre with Horror being a sub with in it's ranks.

so this poll is just your opinion on average straightforward horror films. try to avoid going to far from the path of your general horror - EG: Friday 13th skinny dipping scene sort of nudity.

I'm asking if you feel Funhouse needed to have a tent in it's many tents of the carnival with nipple tassel dancing... not weather or not Argento should be making his actresses wear burka's in all of this films.

i will leave censorship to those who feel they have sh*t that smells better than everyone elses. (BBFC) this poll has an alternative point to make (if it doesn't translate as different i haven't explained myself well enough)
I wasn't meaning censorship i was referring to the film makers.

The Funhouse didn't need to be made full stop.
Old 12th October 2014, 02:44 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
The Funhouse didn't need to be made full stop.
Now you're starting to sound like the wife.... I can't let her win this argument! HAHA!

I want to watch horror movies and sometimes they have nudity or sex but i don't buy the films for those scenes even if they don't bother me too much.

Again thank you all for making this debate fun and also respectful.

Like this? Share it using the links below!