Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree64Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th April 2015, 10:00 AM
Cult Rookie

Exclamation So I'm looking at collecting the DPP 39/72...

...and admittedly these are fairly new to me, I've previously just picked up the most disturbing/sickening films around to gross myself out but I figured this would be a nice little mini collection.

My question is, there are so many around, and having read up a little from old threads here the Vipco releases sound like they should be avoided!

I've seen Arrow and Shameless seem to do a few, I'm basically just after a heads up on the good, the bad and the ugly - which to steer away from and what I should be looking to pick up.

I'm mindful that some will be a pain to pick up, but any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated!
Old 18th April 2015, 02:06 PM
Cultist

Hi there,

I did just exactly what you're planning on doing a few years back, and I've got to say it was a great experience. So many bizarre films, most were awful, but fun awful and some were great films that I'm so glad I've seen and will be favourites with me until I die.

Advice, well the first thing you should get if you don't already have it is the 3 DVD set of "Video Nasties: The Definitive Guide DVD". Trailers and small reviews of all the 72 nasties along with the greatest documentary you'll see on the subject.

As for buying them, I think that ebay would probably be the best bet these days.

I used a few reference sites to decide which versions to buy and which to avoid. These were
DVD Buyer's Video Nasty Guide
and
Plutonium Shores: Video Nasties - Index of Titles Reviewed

Edit : Forgot the Melon Farmers. Also essential reading.
http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/nasties.htm

My reviews can be found here
https://www.avforums.com/threads/my-...views.1554183/

It is still incomplete, because there is one title that cannot be bought (even now) on legitimate DVD and that is "The Werewolf and the Yeti".

Quite a lot are now available on blu-ray. Those are the versions to buy obviously, but as for the DVDs, I'd go with the versions I've listed in my thread. They are the best of the bunch. Definately avoid Vipco.

You're in for a thrill ride. Enjoy.

Last edited by Hugh; 18th April 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18th April 2015, 03:51 PM
Cult Rookie

Top man!

I've found a thread via the search feature here listing a few, looks like the Box Of The Banned could get me 4 I don't already have, and the one Shameless release seems to have another 2 I don't have on (Night Train Murders?) so that might be worth me picking up.

I'll read through your links and whatnot once I'm at a computer but thanks for the heads up!

One other thing you guys may be able to help me with is, while reading theough older threads here, I've seen people say there are actually 74 (not 72) and I was wondering which these are - purely for completist reasons!

Once again, all help and advice is appreciated!
Old 18th April 2015, 04:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Some general advice: impulse buying and looking for the cheapest version should be avoided when it comes to DPP titles - there are quite a few cut versions out there, so watch out.
Old 18th April 2015, 05:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd stay away from the Box Of The Banned, if I recall the only two that aren't cut are Zombie Flesh Eaters and Evil Dead, both of which are available in better versions.
Old 19th April 2015, 12:05 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It is still incomplete, because there is one title that cannot be bought (even now) on legitimate DVD and that is "The Werewolf and the Yeti".
Sorry, but it seems like you are wrong, although it appears that it's only a region 1 release!

THE WEREWOLF AND THE YETI (1975) DVD - Cult Action
Hugh and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 19th April 2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 19th April 2015, 08:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Mynd View Post

One other thing you guys may be able to help me with is, while reading theough older threads here, I've seen people say there are actually 74 (not 72) and I was wondering which these are - purely for completist reasons!
Back in the day, before Wiki, various lists appeared listing various titles, this was compiled into a total of 74 adding in Xtro and Shogun Assassin. Both were never on the official Nasty List though. The complete Video Nasty Collection would be the DPP39 (Section A) and the not prosecuted 33 (Section B) totalling 72.

Then you can collect the 80 odd Section C list...
Old 19th April 2015, 09:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Attached Images
File Type: jpg video nasty 001.jpg (102.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg video nasty 002.jpg (103.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg video nasty 003.jpg (102.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg video nasty 004.jpg (104.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg video nasty 005.jpg (101.4 KB, 25 views)
Old 19th April 2015, 09:28 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Great collection Boo. What strikes me seeing them all together is how much those titles are part of a shared, common language in the UK amongst horror fans.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 19th April 2015, 12:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Sorry, but it seems like you are wrong, although it appears that it's only a region 1 release!

THE WEREWOLF AND THE YETI (1975) DVD - Cult Action
That's clearly a bootleg.

It's also clear when looking at the other titles that particular site is selling.

I've removed your link as we don't promote that kind of filth here!

Like this? Share it using the links below!