Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th March 2015, 05:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

If anyone has any comments to make regarding the films i do a post for - Fantacide for example

and would like it adding to that films post then please say so when you comment on here and i'll add it.
Watching these kind of films can take you to some strange places. Like, I can watch stuff like 'A Serbian Film' and think "well, that's OK I guess..." whereas 'Fantacide' did push my buttons a bit. There was no differentiation between the racism depicted and the directorial intent. Quite often I felt uncomfortable with it, in the same way that I would yawn and grind my teeth on encountering a pub bigot. Not at the same time, obviously. I suppose you can ask what's at stake in watching 'transgressive' films... we know the price of the ticket when we get on the ride, so what's to complain about? 'Uncomfortable' is sometimes the point, I know. Anyway, I'm a hypocrite, for example I abhor animal violence but own an uncut copy of 'Cannibal Holocaust' etc.
Old 27th March 2015, 05:28 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Watching these kind of films can take you to some strange places. Like, I can watch stuff like 'A Serbian Film' and think "well, that's OK I guess..." whereas 'Fantacide' did push my buttons a bit. There was no differentiation between the racism depicted and the directorial intent. Quite often I felt uncomfortable with it, in the same way that I would yawn and grind my teeth on encountering a pub bigot. Not at the same time, obviously. I suppose you can ask what's at stake in watching 'transgressive' films... we know the price of the ticket when we get on the ride, so what's to complain about? 'Uncomfortable' is sometimes the point, I know. Anyway, I'm a hypocrite, for example I abhor animal violence but own an uncut copy of 'Cannibal Holocaust' etc.
I too felt uncomfortable watching "Fantacide" but that is part of the reward/punishment scheme in the world of transgressive film. It is a great place to give the more liberal aspects of personality a slap round the face.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 27th March 2015, 05:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Embodiment of Evil (2008)

Biozombie (11/09/09)

Quote:
I have just finished watching Embodiment of Evil. I Havent seen a Coffin Joe film before but I really enjoyed (not sure if enjoyed is quite the right word) this one. The desert/hell scene was very creepy (and pretty sick). But the thing that was weirdest has to be the woman coming out of the pig carcas! Must be seen to be believed.
Bizarre_Eye (30/07/09)

Quote:
I watched Embodiment of Evil tonight and thought it was a pretty good return for Zé do Caixão . Some nice gorey bits too.
MTDS (01/08/09)

Quote:
I watched "Embodiment of Evil" last night,though it had some great set pieces, it
never reached the levels of madness I was expecting.I think this was more due to the way it was shot rather than content.
Mojo (14/08/09)

Quote:
Ah, now this is more like it. Great to see Coffin Joe updated to 2009, in a tale full of gorgeous visuals and over the top gore. I can see why one or two scenes would have raised a few eyebrows at the BBFC, but it's great to see it fully uncut, as it should be. Nice 'making of' documentary on the UK disc, too. Recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EmbodimentofevilEng.jpg (97.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 27th March 2015, 05:49 PM
Cult Master

I have the DVD of Embodiment of Evil not watched it yet might watch it now.
Old 27th March 2015, 05:55 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

The Hills Run Red (2009)

Kyle (28/09/09)

Quote:
the hills run red: great slasher film,awesome killer, plenty of gore and even though the story is a bit predictable it was still loads of fun 8/10
Philleh (28/08/09)

Quote:
I had fun with The Hills Run Red too, it started off a little too 'Cigerette Burns' for my liking, but lukcily that changed around the 30 minute mark and slipped into Slasher mode! Good fun
Demdike (27/03/15)

Quote:
I too enjoyed this. A cool, backwoods, gory slasher featuring a sexy turn from the lovely Sophie Monk. Nasty fun!
Pedromonkey (10/11/2009)

Quote:
just watched THE HILLS RUN RED, pretty decent slasher, some good gore and great tits, worth a look. William sadler's awesome in hills run red, i was also quite surprised by it, very entertaining and that babyface mask was just creepy...
iluvdvds (26/01/10)

Quote:
Just finished watching The Hills Run Red - finally got around to watching it and really enjoyed it.
Gojirosan (21/02/10)

Quote:
A pretty decent amalgamation of ideas from previous films stirred together to entertaining effect. Better than I thought it was going to be...it's not bad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Hills-Run-Red-2009-poster.jpg (100.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Demdike@Cult Labs; 28th March 2015 at 02:45 PM.
Old 27th March 2015, 05:57 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

That's 150 pages covered.

One or two films on the back burner with quotes saved.

I'll continue tomorrow.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 27th March 2015, 06:03 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
That's 150 pages covered.

One or two films on the back burner with quotes saved.

I'll continue tomorrow.
Thanks Dem great posts there I have been watching the trailers as you are posting them so far I am really liking what I see.
gag and Demdike@Cult Labs like this.
Old 28th March 2015, 12:52 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Is the above how you'd like to see this thread set out?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Great work Dem!
Old 28th March 2015, 02:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Dying Breed (2008)

42ndstreetfreak (15/10/09)

Quote:
Beware!!!
Inbred cannibals be in those woods!

Packed with the well loved elements we actually want from such a plot set-up, "Dying Breed" delivers them all with razor sharp, sadistic, unforgiving precision.

Nothing particularly original here but, some pacing and one FX fault aside, it's a harsh, uncompromising, extreme and cruel Horror film that can sit proudly next to that other Australian nasty "Wolf Creek".

Highly recommended.
Nosferatu (15/03/11)

Quote:
Thumbs up for Dying Breed from me too -- there are some very good Australian horror films around.
Dryjack (10/06/11)

Quote:
Watched "Dying Breed" last night. I thought it was superb, with great performances, good story and good dialogue. If you've never seen it, it's an Aussie movie about backwoods cannibals.
Demdike (28/03/15)

Quote:
I too really like this. Well worth a watch to those who haven't seen it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dying_breed.jpg (79.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 1st April 2015, 03:06 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Fantacide (2007)

Bizarre_Eye (11-07-09)

Kyle (12-08-09)

Mbv (17-08-09)
I managed to watch this the other night. I quite enjoyed it for what it was. There are some great gore effects in it but the racism was a bit over the top. It ranged from discussing to funny to downright strange. The music was odd and really out of place but added to how crazy the film was. It made me wonder how the hell they got the old guy to act well if you can call it acting in this film. Some of what they had him doing was just wrong

GIVE EM THE TREATMENT.

Like this? Share it using the links below!