Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   Modern Indie Horror Recommendations Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/12934-modern-indie-horror-recommendations-thread.html)

Nordicdusk 26th March 2015 06:09 PM

Modern Indie Horror Recommendations Thread

As someone who is generally stuck in the past I feel its time I branched out and got more familiar with what is happening in modern indie horror. I have seen some fantastic stills over on the stills thread and read some fantastic reviews on the what have you seen thread. If people would like to post their recommendations , stills , upcoming releases even where to order some of these tiles it would be much appreciated.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 06:13 PM

Before I offer up any recs, what would you class as 'modern'... post 2000? Post 2010?

Nordicdusk 26th March 2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 441650)
Before I offer up any recs, what would you class as 'modern'... post 2000? Post 2010?

I would say 2000 to now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th March 2015 07:17 PM

If there are no objections from members, i'll go through the What Films Have You Seen Recently? thread and duplicate some here over the weekend.

I'll add a dvd cover to any review / recommendations for helpfulness.

There are only 2132 pages so it shouldn't take long. :eek:

Nordicdusk 26th March 2015 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 441664)
If there are no objections from members, i'll go through the What Films Have You Seen Recently? thread and duplicate some here over the weekend.

I'll add a dvd cover to any review / recommendations for helpfulness.

There are only 2132 pages so it shouldn't take long. :eek:

Putting a hell of a lot of work on yourself Dem but if you are up to it that would be amazing and most appreciated. It would also really kick start the thread.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Frankie Teardrop 27th March 2015 09:40 AM

Great idea for a thread, Nordicdusk. I'm glad you suggested it, because indie-horror is one of my enduring fascinations - I'd write a book on it if I had more knowledge and could be arsed. This might be a slightly nerdy point, but the question of defining indie horror interests me - sometimes differentiating between studio product and independent releases isn't straightforward. And from there, do you keep with a kind of economic definition, or do you base it more on aesthetics... like, horror which combines 'Indie Cinema' tropes which have crystallised out of mostly American arthouse / underground filmmaking, or almost the opposite, real gutter level microbudget stuff made with a camcorder and some butcher's leftovers? Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but this does interest me.
Anyway, I would try to put up an attempt at a comprehensive list before Dem sinks his teeth in, but I watch so much of this kind of shit, it kind of flies past me and I just end up forgetting about it. I think some names are pretty important like Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Eric Stanze, Jeff Leroy. Here are a few titles, a smattering of indie 'classics' which have made some kind of impact on me over the last few years, but are only really what sprung to mind just now -

Unspeakable, Subconscious Cruelty, Hanger, Fetus, Ice From The Sun, Eyes Of The Werewolf, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Blood For Irina, The Tin Can Man, Absentia, The God Memoirs.

That's a pretty random assortment, but just goes to show how broad the topic is.

Nordicdusk 27th March 2015 09:52 AM

Cheers Frankie. This thread may work out quite expensive for me :doh:

:lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th March 2015 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop (Post 441727)
Great idea for a thread, Nordicdusk. I'm glad you suggested it, because indie-horror is one of my enduring fascinations - I'd write a book on it if I had more knowledge and could be arsed. This might be a slightly nerdy point, but the question of defining indie horror interests me - sometimes differentiating between studio product and independent releases isn't straightforward. And from there, do you keep with a kind of economic definition, or do you base it more on aesthetics... like, horror which combines 'Indie Cinema' tropes which have crystallised out of mostly American arthouse / underground filmmaking, or almost the opposite, real gutter level microbudget stuff made with a camcorder and some butcher's leftovers? Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but this does interest me.
Anyway, I would try to put up an attempt at a comprehensive list before Dem sinks his teeth in, but I watch so much of this kind of shit, it kind of flies past me and I just end up forgetting about it. I think some names are pretty important like Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Eric Stanze, Jeff Leroy. Here are a few titles, a smattering of indie 'classics' which have made some kind of impact on me over the last few years, but are only really what sprung to mind just now -

Unspeakable, Subconscious Cruelty, Hanger, Fetus, Ice From The Sun, Eyes Of The Werewolf, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Blood For Irina, The Tin Can Man, Absentia, The God Memoirs.

That's a pretty random assortment, but just goes to show how broad the topic is.

I very much agree with this...but i would also include the £3 trash you pick up from Amazon or supermarkets. Little gems you don't have to import an uncut version of - The Stitcher for example.

Nordicdusk 27th March 2015 12:02 PM

What ever you guys think fits is all good. A voyage of discovery is always an exciting time.

gag 27th March 2015 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 441747)
What ever you guys think fits is all good. A voyage of discovery is always an exciting time.

And me as well :nod:.