Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2015, 07:09 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Default Modern Indie Horror Recommendations Thread

As someone who is generally stuck in the past I feel its time I branched out and got more familiar with what is happening in modern indie horror. I have seen some fantastic stills over on the stills thread and read some fantastic reviews on the what have you seen thread. If people would like to post their recommendations , stills , upcoming releases even where to order some of these tiles it would be much appreciated.
trebor8273 and profondo rosso like this.
Old 26th March 2015, 07:13 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Before I offer up any recs, what would you class as 'modern'... post 2000? Post 2010?
Old 26th March 2015, 07:16 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Before I offer up any recs, what would you class as 'modern'... post 2000? Post 2010?
I would say 2000 to now.
Old 26th March 2015, 08:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

If there are no objections from members, i'll go through the What Films Have You Seen Recently? thread and duplicate some here over the weekend.

I'll add a dvd cover to any review / recommendations for helpfulness.

There are only 2132 pages so it shouldn't take long.
Old 27th March 2015, 12:53 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
If there are no objections from members, i'll go through the What Films Have You Seen Recently? thread and duplicate some here over the weekend.

I'll add a dvd cover to any review / recommendations for helpfulness.

There are only 2132 pages so it shouldn't take long.
Putting a hell of a lot of work on yourself Dem but if you are up to it that would be amazing and most appreciated. It would also really kick start the thread.

Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th March 2015, 10:40 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Great idea for a thread, Nordicdusk. I'm glad you suggested it, because indie-horror is one of my enduring fascinations - I'd write a book on it if I had more knowledge and could be arsed. This might be a slightly nerdy point, but the question of defining indie horror interests me - sometimes differentiating between studio product and independent releases isn't straightforward. And from there, do you keep with a kind of economic definition, or do you base it more on aesthetics... like, horror which combines 'Indie Cinema' tropes which have crystallised out of mostly American arthouse / underground filmmaking, or almost the opposite, real gutter level microbudget stuff made with a camcorder and some butcher's leftovers? Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but this does interest me.
Anyway, I would try to put up an attempt at a comprehensive list before Dem sinks his teeth in, but I watch so much of this kind of shit, it kind of flies past me and I just end up forgetting about it. I think some names are pretty important like Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Eric Stanze, Jeff Leroy. Here are a few titles, a smattering of indie 'classics' which have made some kind of impact on me over the last few years, but are only really what sprung to mind just now -

Unspeakable, Subconscious Cruelty, Hanger, Fetus, Ice From The Sun, Eyes Of The Werewolf, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Blood For Irina, The Tin Can Man, Absentia, The God Memoirs.

That's a pretty random assortment, but just goes to show how broad the topic is.
Old 27th March 2015, 10:52 AM
Cult Master

Cheers Frankie. This thread may work out quite expensive for me

Old 27th March 2015, 12:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie Teardrop View Post
Great idea for a thread, Nordicdusk. I'm glad you suggested it, because indie-horror is one of my enduring fascinations - I'd write a book on it if I had more knowledge and could be arsed. This might be a slightly nerdy point, but the question of defining indie horror interests me - sometimes differentiating between studio product and independent releases isn't straightforward. And from there, do you keep with a kind of economic definition, or do you base it more on aesthetics... like, horror which combines 'Indie Cinema' tropes which have crystallised out of mostly American arthouse / underground filmmaking, or almost the opposite, real gutter level microbudget stuff made with a camcorder and some butcher's leftovers? Maybe I'm being a bit pedantic, but this does interest me.
Anyway, I would try to put up an attempt at a comprehensive list before Dem sinks his teeth in, but I watch so much of this kind of shit, it kind of flies past me and I just end up forgetting about it. I think some names are pretty important like Ryan Nicholson, Brian Paulin, Eric Stanze, Jeff Leroy. Here are a few titles, a smattering of indie 'classics' which have made some kind of impact on me over the last few years, but are only really what sprung to mind just now -

Unspeakable, Subconscious Cruelty, Hanger, Fetus, Ice From The Sun, Eyes Of The Werewolf, Beyond The Black Rainbow, Blood For Irina, The Tin Can Man, Absentia, The God Memoirs.

That's a pretty random assortment, but just goes to show how broad the topic is.
I very much agree with this...but i would also include the £3 trash you pick up from Amazon or supermarkets. Little gems you don't have to import an uncut version of - The Stitcher for example.
Frankie Teardrop likes this.
Old 27th March 2015, 01:02 PM
Cult Master

What ever you guys think fits is all good. A voyage of discovery is always an exciting time.
Old 27th March 2015, 02:52 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
What ever you guys think fits is all good. A voyage of discovery is always an exciting time.
And me as well .

Like this? Share it using the links below!