Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th July 2015, 02:04 PM
Competitions Moderator
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Default Low/No-Budget Horror: The Best Of The Bunch

Hola horror fans,

As self-acclaimed horror addicts, we're used to watching some grimy, low-budget independent horror movies. Some are simply...crap. But there's plenty that are surprisingly good, or fun to watch at least!

So, here's a thread to chat about your favourite horror movies that you enjoy watching, that were made on a shoestring budget or maybe even no budget at all!

There's something about low/no budget horror that can be a real pleasure to watch, especially when you can see how the filmmakers have been creative to get the effects they want (especially the likes of The Evil Dead!)

So, which low-budget (or no-budget) horror movies do you enjoy and recommend to other fans of underground/non-mainstream horrors? Whether it's well known or totally obscure, let us know below...
Demoncrat and Vipp like this.
Old 9th July 2015, 04:20 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Corman's The Little Shop of Horrors is a prime example of a high-quality low-budget production. A classic B-movie about a man-eating plant, full of black humour and oddities - including a flower-eating Dick Miller. Highly recommended.

Old 9th July 2015, 06:47 PM
Cultist in Training

Default SPRING 2014

I cannot urge you to watch this fantastic horror indy strongly enough. The low budget is stretched incredibly effectively using sparing VFX, beautiful Italian locales and technical savvy. Its Linklater's Before Sunset meets The Thing. Directing pair Aaron Moorhead and Justin Benson have created something that's sure to be discovered, enjoyed and discussed by horror fans for many years to come. Go seek it out if you haven't already. That's an order Private, step to it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring1.jpg (30.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg springmondo.jpg (56.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg spring.jpg (94.5 KB, 2 views)
Old 9th July 2015, 07:32 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Spring has been on my radar since Drafthouse announced their release earlier this year. I definitely want to check it out at some point.
Old 9th July 2015, 07:35 PM
Cultist in Training

Default `

Spring is available on DVD but as yet, no Bluray, perhaps wait for that as it is a gorgeous looking movie, mainly thanks to the Italian rural and seaside locations.
Old 9th July 2015, 09:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I always adored BadTaste, it's crammed with comedy, gore and stunning scenery. it's one of the best low budget horror movies i own and i still love watching it now. I really can;t wait for the blu-ray, i just hope P.Jackson put's some real effort and time into his extras like full comentary, i'd like to see a 'where are they now' and see him get his old mates back together who were in the movie with him, a new transfer, any other footage thet he might still have that wasn't included due to cost would be a real treat!

I read the Brian Sibley biography of Peter Jackson and it has some great stories in it about Bad Taste like all of the alien face masks in the movie were cooked up in JAckson's parents oven! he had very understanding and patient parents who loved him enough to let him destroy thier oven. haha.
Old 9th July 2015, 10:49 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Spider Baby is my fav low budget horror.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:01 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There are loads of great low budget horrors knocking about.

British films like Penetration Angst and Broken to US efforts like Absentia and Banshee Chapter. Not forgetting gems such as The Goatman Murders, Slasher House, Bone Sickness, Dark Nature, The Factory, Honeymoon, Stitchface and Zombie Women of Satan to name but a few.

In fact in today's horror scene the low budget movies are far more inventive than the normal releases doing the multiplex rounds in most cases.
Sam and bizarre_eye@Cult Labs like this.
Old 9th July 2015, 11:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

One of my faves:

Old 9th July 2015, 11:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
One of my faves:

A true gem. Scuzzy, extremely gory, and very watchable.

I must have seen it four times now.

Like this? Share it using the links below!