Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By gag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 1st September 2015, 02:12 AM
Ex-member

Default Video Nasties in 2015

Do you think that most horor films released today would of been listed as a video nasty back in the day? Having watched most of the video nasties, none have the realism of today's films so if today's films (Saw, Hostel, Hatchet) would of been released back then they surely would of been on the list, but thinking about how gruesome most horror films are today, how many would of escaped the censors. I think alot of the films back then were on this list because of poster art and/or title over the actually film, a great example being The Driller Killer a film with very little gore in but had a very iconic poster. It amazes me why films like City of the Living Dead and House by the Cemetery were on the list but The Beyond wasn't.
Old 1st September 2015, 05:56 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Yes suppose some of them could have been banned because the artwork.
After all some people would control what their kids watch, but couldnt stop them looking at gruesome covers, and that could be frightening for little kids.
Sometimes doesnt matter if the film was violent gory or not films like i spit where shocking for the era they where released. Full on rape scene and a man having his wedding tackle sliced of, But wouldnt be out of place if it was made for first time now.
Just strange now tho that films like that etc are just the norm in todays society. And people atitude and opinions are different eg some people (like me, sorry) think their no need for films like Gfotesque and a serbian film. Where others think their no big deal, and yet to me films like first Human centipede is what tcm was in its day. You find that so many people complained about it, and you find the ones who did probably did havent seen it they just dont like the sound of it, but if they took time out to watch them they find in terms of violence and gore there is practically none. The concept and idea are more disturbing than the actual film.
dis, Metallicbomb and nosferatu42 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!