Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th February 2011, 01:54 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by the blob View Post
William S. Burroughs was like a walking advert for drugs. Everyone will tell you 'don't do drugs or you'll die young' and there is a man who should never have lived to the age of 83!
Indeed. And you can add Keith Richards to the list too. These people are seemingly indestructible!!
Old 25th March 2011, 11:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Y'know, I always used to say that there was 'no such thing as a bad horror movie'; even the very worst, trashiest, films always seemed to have something to redeem themselves, even if that was just the sheer insanity of what you were watching. Or boobies.

Now? Good lord . Near all of the recent remakes have been just abysmal, especially if a certain Mr Bay is involved at any point (TCM, Elm St. etc.). The only exception that I can think off is Alexandre Aja's The Hills Have Eyes - although the sequel by Martin Weisz was absolutely abysmal. But then, why was I surprised? Aja gave us High Tension, Weisz gave us, erm, a Puff Daddy video. I mean seriously, who looked at that man's CV and though 'that's the guy for us!' .

But by far the worse I have seen is the Prom Night remake. I only sat down and watched this a few weeks ago and I honestly can't tell you if I got to the end of it or switched it off, or what . I think it was just so awful that my sub-conscious has buried the memory, so great was the trauma .

I also have seen far too many films, where 'low budget' is almost been used as an excuse for being bad. As others have mention just look at TCM or Evil Dead, or any number of '70s and '80s films, to see how things used to be. I'm sorry, but just because you are a 'fan' and have seen NOTLD 200 times does not automatically qualify you to pick up a camera and inflict your complete ineptitude on unsuspecting DVD buyers. I often hear people talk about how modern technology and the internet has 'democratised' film making and the media in general, but what people don't seem to grasp is that Tobe Hooper, Sam Raimi, George Romero et al. had a raw talent and vision that transcended the limited resources available to them. These are directors who could do more with $20,000 than what many directors could do with $20,000,000. Everytime time I see a film shot on video camera I almost know it's going to be bad - please step forward ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE .

The shoestring-budget gems are still out there, but they just seem harder and harder to find!

Sorry for the rant, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that - IMHO -there is just waaay to much crap being shoved out straight to DVD without any apparent quality control being employed.

And the English-language remake of The Eye was shit, too .

Like this? Share it using the links below!