Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th January 2014, 09:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Salo and Audition didn't so much make me "quake" but they sickened me and haunted me for days and days after seeing both of them. They tainted me. I felt polluted by them.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 21st January 2014, 05:56 PM
Cultist

Not a film I know but I am pretty sure mine was an episode of the Hammer House of Horror Tv series , The Two Faces of Evil. As for a film I reckon it would be The Haunting (the 1963 version of course,not the train wreck of a remake).
Mojo and Demoncrat like this.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:15 PM
Active Cultist

I remember when I was a kid I was always cautious of the scene in Gremlins 2 where one of them jumps out at Mr Clamp in his office and he ends up stuffing it in the shredder. Took a few years (and many watches, as I loved the rest of the movie) for me to be able to pinpoint the moment it'd jump out, so it didn't shock me haha.

Aside from that, nothing really scared me all that much movie/tv wise when I was a kid, as my parents always made sure I knew it was only a movie and wasn't real. They weren't happy about me watching horror movies (except for ones they'd seen and OK'd) but knew I'd just watch them round a friend's house, anyway, so made sure I understood what I'd seen. That said the most gruesome films I'd seen until I was about 13 were probably Predator and Aliens.

Then I discovered the early works of Peter Jackson...
Old 21st January 2014, 07:17 PM
Active Cultist

Oh wait, no, I just remembered. There was a TV show I used to watch nightly called "Are You Afraid Of The Dark?" and one episode, The Tale of The Cutter's Treasure, was a 2-parter. The first part ended with the main kid's little brother asleep in bed, with his leg hanging over the edge, and a skeleton hand grabbed it. If memory serves, the actual ending to that part was the screen fading to black after the main kid finds his brother is gone. Now, I thought it'd be fine, as it was on nightly, so figured part 2 was tomorrow night.
Nope. They were showing them in some random order. Took me 2 years to find out how that one ended.
Old 21st January 2014, 07:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsimmus View Post
Not a film I know but I am pretty sure mine was an episode of the Hammer House of Horror Tv series , The Two Faces of Evil. As for a film I reckon it would be The Haunting (the 1963 version of course,not the train wreck of a remake).
That's exactly the episode of Hammer House that used to freak me out, it had a creepy atmosphere and doppelganger's n stuff so u didn't know who to trust. Great stuff, love that series.
Halloween is the first film i remember really getting to me, it was the scenes when he's stalking her, lurking behind bushes and behind washing on the line outside.
Then the final scene where he's been shot but disappear's, then we get loads of shots of places where he could be lurking. Remember thinking what if he's about here.
I think it's the fact that it was set in a modern world and i was used to black and white films with castles n all that.

The kid at the window in Salem's lot creeped me out when i first saw it and the final grave shot in Carrie had a big impact as a kid.

Ahh the good old days.
Maxsimmus likes this.
Old 22nd January 2014, 04:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It! The Terror from Beyond Space...the reveal scared me pishless when i was about 7, seeing the pods open in a clip on Film '78 from IOTB when i was 9, aaaaand Salems Lot....the end of part one freaked me out that much, i didn't watch part 2 till they repeated it again!!

and the hitchhiker episode of Hammer House Of Horror shit me right up (and still does if I'm totally honest ha-rumph!!

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 22nd January 2014, 10:22 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
[B]the hitchhiker episode of Hammer House Of Horror shit me right up
I love that episode! In fact I may just revisit it tonight.

For me it has always been the really odd, cheesy, camp stuff that has freaked me out. Tim Curry in Stephen King's IT, or the final scene of Sleepaway Camp!

Salo? Horrifying yes but I won't lose sleep after watching it. Killer Klowns from Outer Space on the other hand... *shudder*
Old 24th January 2014, 02:17 PM
Cult Acolyte

Watching the original Evil Dead was quite a scary experience for me when I first saw it via the Palace VHS rental tape. I'd read so much about how gory the film was before actually watching it - I think it was anticipating something really gruesome happening at any minute more than anything. Like many others on here, the BBC screening of Tobe Hooper's Salem's Lot was a major pants-crapping experience. As was seeing Jaws on its cinema release, when I was seven.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:56 AM
Cult Rookie

"Blood on Satan's Claw" at 12 years old when first saw this, it's the disturbing score that get's me. The scene which gets me everytime is the girl being led out of the attic, to be taken to the Asylum and she reveals her claw. I shudder even now!

Also "The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue" Saw this at 14 years old and couldn't take the zombie disemboweling their victims, the most disturbing being the receptionist as her organs are ripped from her body.

"The Exorcist", saw this around 12 years old, the crucifix scene - say no more...
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 29th January 2014, 09:59 AM
Seasoned Cultist

'The Haunted House of Horror', when I was about 11. Had a huge effect on me, though I had no idea of the title until Dave Boy and Bizzare_eye helped me out in the 'help with name of film' thread. The DVD is on its way to me now, and I'm...apprehensive!
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!