Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18th July 2009, 10:54 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
No love for Invaders From Mars, then Vince?!
Thought it was awful I'm afraid. I'm not a huge fan of the original but it towered over the remake like a towering thing.

Schrader's Cat People remake was good in parts but hideously overlong.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
Thought it was awful I'm afraid. I'm not a huge fan of the original but it towered over the remake like a towering thing.

Schrader's Cat People remake was good in parts but hideously overlong.
I've never seen either version of Cat People, but have heard good things about the original. Schrader's remake was an 18 as well wasn't it? Seems a bit steep as the original was a PG!
Old 18th July 2009, 11:15 AM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yes the remake is fairly gory (notably an arm severing) with a lot of nudity and sex scenes. None of them involving a leopard.
Old 18th July 2009, 11:22 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Yes the remake is fairly gory (notably an arm severing) with a lot of nudity and sex scenes. None of them involving a leopard.
I should hope not!
Old 18th July 2009, 12:51 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Anyone ever find the below scary when they were a young whippersnapper?
I remember watching AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON,being terrified,hiding behind the couch,but being unable to divert my gaze successfully for any length of time......curiosity killed the kid?
That dream scene in AAWIL really freaked me out when i was a kid! Just the ghastly make-up and primal growl, well scary back in the day! Reggie Nalder in SL also tingled a few spines including mine although the floating vampire boy at the window never did anything for me. Still a good sequence though.

The 'Head In The Boat' moment in Jaws had me covering my eyes many times way back when. Also, the sequence in Michael Winner's The Sentinel where the female lead is attacked in her darkened apartment by her dead father who just walks in the room from behind the door. Disturbing even now despite me seeing it several times over the years.

The initial appearance of the 'Cheryl zombie' in The Evil Dead had my brother and i forcing our dad to turn the film off! We finished watching Raimi's classic the next day when we had more company in the house.

Lastly, the hitch hiker in the yellow raincoat from the 'Two Faces Of Evil' episode of The Hammer House Of Horror. That long fingernail frightened me a hell of a lot back in my younger years!
Old 18th July 2009, 03:30 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
So do I. I would rate this, The Thing and (possibly) The Blob as 3 remakes that actually improved on the originals.

Invaders From Mars. Errrr...... no.
I would also include Cronenberg's remake of The Fly and Alexandre Aja's remake of The Hills Have Eyes along with those films you mentioned.

Last edited by Vampix; 18th July 2009 at 04:21 PM.
Old 18th July 2009, 06:03 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Yep I agree with you on The Fly. Very good indeed. I watched this again recently and it holds up extremely well today.

Carpenter's remake of Village Of The Damned was dire.
Old 19th July 2009, 09:24 AM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Super Happy

I reckon John Landis has possibly caused a few scares in some of his films. Specifically when it comes to characters with scary looking faces like the previously mentioned dream scene in AAWIL, the vampires with luminous eyes in the enjoyable Innocent Blood and the transformation sequence in the late Michael Jackson's Thriller music video where The King Of Pop doubles up and bellows "Get away!" with those hideous cat-like peepers!
Old 19th July 2009, 12:58 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

When I saw The Exorcist at age 12/13 I found it profoundly disturbing. Can't say there's ever been much that scared me as such, but certain films have definitely left a lasting impression. My first viewing of Cannibal Holocaust left me in a state of awed shock, though. Saw that on a bootleg tape (recorded off the LaserDisc) some 13 years ago. Back in the days when I never in a million years thought films like The Texas Chain Saw would ever get uncut UK releases. It was quite surreal seeing films like TCM, The Exorcist and (the no. 1 nasty!) Evil Dead gracing the shelves of Woolies and Smiths. Quite odd, that was. Never thought I'd see the day.
Old 20th July 2009, 10:10 PM
Cult Addict

"Black Christmas" had me cacking myself when I saw it on tv in the early 80s.In fact I've only been brave enough to watch it recently,it frightened me that much.What really shocked me on watching it again was the sheer foulness of the phone calls.

Like this? Share it using the links below!