Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th January 2013, 11:37 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
seeing this for the first time on TV when I was young.
Wow, I actually saw only the doll episode when I was a child and it was rather scary!
Also I'd mention:
Shining: lady in the bathroom + man in dog (bear) costume
Burnt Offerings: saw it again many years after, not so scary but it disturbed me when I was a kid
Antropophagus: all the sick atmosphere + the infamous foetus snack. Saw it on a small italian channel one sunday morning, uncut!!! Ruined my childhood!
The Sentinel: father's ghost
Death Trap/Eaten Alive: croc enjoying tasty puppy
That Hammer House episode with the evil doppelganger, saw it 30 years ago and I need to see it again because I can't remember much.

and more on the disturbing side:

Deathwish: rape (still an extreme scene)
Milano Odia, La Polizia Non Può Sparare: massacre in the mansion
Class of 1984: on tv (Italia1) totally uncut at 8:30 pm! Me and many kids were terrified by Peter Stegman and his gang!
Demoncrat and Zann like this.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuchulcha View Post
That Hammer House episode with the evil doppelganger, saw it 30 years ago and I need to see it again because I can't remember much.
Yeah that's actually pretty creepy.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 29th January 2013, 03:04 PM
Cult Rookie

Not 100% sure but probably a John Carpenter film. Halloween or The Fog. Creepy as hell. Couldn't watch those alone.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:34 PM
Cultist

The first time I remember being really scared by a film was when I watched The Wizard of Oz for the first time. The scene where the Wicked Witch appears in Munchkin Land to confront Dorothy after her house dropped on the other Wicked Witch made me jump out of my skin.
Susan Foreman likes this.
Old 12th February 2013, 11:48 PM
Cult Rookie

Definitely gotta be carnival of souls (the original, of course!). Saw it with my dad when we were staying over at our friend's caravan. It was late, we had the lights off and I was totally freaked out by the face at the window of the woman driving across the country in the darkness! I was only about 9 or 10 at the time and I'd seen tons of horror movies but mostly gory stuff, not eerie, creepy stuff like this! Still adore the movie and watch it regularly. Anyone else a fan?
Old 13th February 2013, 12:03 AM
Cultist

I didn't see it until Criterion put it out on LD. I remember reading that the director had a background in making industrial films and I think that shows in the film. It has a very stark and surreal look to it that I don't think has ever been intentionally duplicated except maybe by Peter Greenaway.
Old 13th February 2013, 05:57 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Saw a pirate of The Exorcist when I was 11 or 12 and that shit me up rightly and then Pet Sematary not many years later had a similar effect - the twisted sister (not the hair band) Zelda scene
Old 13th February 2013, 06:05 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I've posted this elsewhere before, but it's definitely Pet Sematary for me, particularly the character of Zelda, still freaks me out now 20 odd years later, meaning I only watch it during the day

Don't know what it is about this scene that freaks me out so much, when I first read King's original novel at 11 years old, it didn't scare me all that much, but the following year when I rented the film with a mate(via his babysitter, who also rented us A Nightmare on Elm St the same night ), it scared the crap out of me and that first viewing has stuck with me ever since
Read this after my own posting...I mean YEAH...even that jpeg brings it back - they couldn't have known how effective that scene was when they made it!
Old 13th February 2013, 07:22 AM
Cult Acolyte

Eight Legged Freaks. The cat spider fight terrified me, never finished it, but I was like 7.

War Of The Worlds (Speilberg) Too many people screaming and crying. It upset me. I think I was 7 also for this one.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 13th February 2013, 08:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I watched The Evil Dead and Nightmare On Elm Street as a double at my friends house when we had a sleepover around age 11 or 12 his mum rented them for us I wouldn't walk under trees for a while and the scene in Elm Street when Tina appears in a body bag during Nancy's dream in class and the centipede crawls out of her mouth... eugh - scared the crap out of me!!

I also remember being more scared of The Exorcist before I'd seen it, and feeling dread during watching it but by halfway through I realised it wasn't actually scary.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!