Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th June 2009, 06:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

FRIENDS, that has got to be one of the biggest piles of shit to ever insult our Tv screens!!!.

Love the simpsons though hilarious.

I like elctro/electronic 2 both classic and modern erasure through to transfonics.

Women love their tv personally I always go for the dvd what I want when I want. I too have neglected my musical habits to make way for my viciously growing Dvd collection and films.

Went abit ott last 4 weeks ordered over 100 LOL.
Old 13th June 2009, 11:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
Hey Gold, sounds like you have a varied and interesting taste mate.
It's rare nowadays that people of a young(ish) age (!) like ourselves (I'm only 25) appreciate the classics. For instance I enjoy some silent cinema such as Lang's Metropolis and Wiene's Das Kabinett des Doktor Caligari, as well as the old Universal Monster movies from the 30's. That said I will then go away and watch Rob Zombie films and Nail Gun Massacre!

I heartily agree with you on the 'loved' part, even though these films stood out for me from the mainstream dross, there is only a couple I can say that I 'love'.
I'm 21 and i also love the classics my all thime fave film is The Searchers ( 1956 ).

Cant belive you liked Redident Evil! I vomit blood thinking about that movie ( although i have just bought RE: Extinction )

And Gold, i like Friends

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter

Last edited by Pete; 13th June 2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 13th June 2009, 12:59 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I'm 21 and i also love the classics my all thime fave film is The Searchers ( 1956 ).

Cant belive you liked Redident Evil! I vomit blood thinking about that movie ( although i have just bought RE: Extinction )

And Gold, i like Friends:D
No worries we are still mates I hope

It is popular I just fail to see what is funny about it, or any USA sitcom TBH they would put the canned laughter on if someone broke their neck over the pond.
Old 13th June 2009, 01:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by loops View Post
I was expecting it to be shit, but it surprised me in some respects and I quite enjoyed it. The sequels however.... terrible - especially Apocalypse . Extinction wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but was still pretty dire.
Old 13th June 2009, 01:54 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I was expecting it to be shit, but it surprised me in some respects and I quite enjoyed it. The sequels however.... terrible - especially Apocalypse . Extinction wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but was still pretty dire.
It wasn't a bad film actually (RE) considering it was a Game rip off they always fail even the older ones like street fighter and Mortal Kombat although watchable were not masterpieces of cinema, RE was enjoyable but not a serious film I think it was intended to be comical.
Old 13th June 2009, 11:04 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

When discussing the future of horror or the genre as a whole ,I think we can become blinkered by our own obsessions within the genre.I think that the genre is piss poor at present with remakes and sequels being the order of the day but I work with a couple of horror fans who love them and think we are in a golden age of horror.The sheer volume of films coming out seems to support this view if you don't use quality as a yard stick.

The genre has always had its low points,look at the 1940s and 1950s not a lot there untill Hammer got going.

There are good films out there being made it's just finding them.

I think we may actually be the problem not the genre as we are the elite of horror fans and demand the best.We are willing to go that bit further to search out treasures both old and new where as mainstream fans are happy with what they are given.We are willing to give ourselves wholeheartedly to the genre when few do.I think this is why, on occasion we can feel the genre is losing its way because it doesn't put in the same effort as ourselves!
Old 14th June 2009, 12:57 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

MTDS , thats very true what you say, I could'nt agree more.
Though we have a good 'undgerground scene' in horror , that has plenty of new directoral talent working for the love of horror, that will keep horror alive and healthy for many years to come.
The underground, is awash with fresh young talent with fresh new ideas , that will always be there waiting to be discovered.
Old 14th June 2009, 06:41 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
When discussing the future of horror or the genre as a whole ,I think we can become blinkered by our own obsessions within the genre.I think that the genre is piss poor at present with remakes and sequels being the order of the day but I work with a couple of horror fans who love them and think we are in a golden age of horror.The sheer volume of films coming out seems to support this view if you don't use quality as a yard stick.

The genre has always had its low points,look at the 1940s and 1950s not a lot there untill Hammer got going.

There are good films out there being made it's just finding them.

I think we may actually be the problem not the genre as we are the elite of horror fans and demand the best.We are willing to go that bit further to search out treasures both old and new where as mainstream fans are happy with what they are given.We are willing to give ourselves wholeheartedly to the genre when few do.I think this is why, on occasion we can feel the genre is losing its way because it doesn't put in the same effort as ourselves!
That was a very good post, And you know what I think to a large degree you are right!! well done a very true statement which I have to agree with I do admittedly expect alot based on the good Ol days.
Old 14th June 2009, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I think one of the biggest influences on our view of the genre's past and present is that particular point in our life when we actually became fans of horror movies.
For instance, I started collecting horror on VHS in the late 80's when most releases in Germany and the Uk were cut to shreds, with the following notorious "dire 90's" making even the arrival of a C-class, censored DTV cheapo in your rental store into a minor feast.
There are others on this board, who actually had the pleasure of seeing those early 80's classics on the big cinema screen .
Some fans got into the genre around the "Scream" craze in the late 90's, even more had their first "strong horror" experience with "Saw" or "Hostel".
Each of those different eras suggests a different take on the genre as a whole.
While I personally agree that the "more experienced" fans tend to demand more "originality"/ "quality" of their genre product, it sometimes feels as if the younger ones (and those who've stayed young at heart) seem to have a lot more fun, as I for one wouldn't waste a minute of my lifetime with today's genre movies if I didn't enjoy them any more. (That's why I've basically stopped watching action movies- with the occasional exception, like "Rambo").
Another problem is that even long term fans are often far too focussed on what's happening in Hollywood as an indicator for the genre's health.
Fact is that much stronger and original horror has been made in Asia, other countries- such as France- and even the last decade's UK horror output is shining brightly, enjoying its fair share of fan appreciation.
Let's not forget that "we" don't have to sort out the "classic status" of those 70's/80's movies ourselves- it's been done over the course of decades.
With the current crop of genre movies, it's still totally in the open, which movies will be rewarded with a "cult fave"/"classic" reputation in the years/decades to come.....which is in fact one of many reasons why I find this current state of horror so exciting.
Old 14th June 2009, 10:15 AM
Ex-member

Is there no love for Drag Me To Hell?

I thought that was one of the best horror movies made in a long time.

Like this? Share it using the links below!