Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th June 2009, 10:19 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
You may be right there - Shameless are looking at releasing a line of Post-Apocalypse films too... How uncanny!
It's all part of their post world domination plan...I can just see it now: a dusty stranger staggering through the waste land spies something yellow sticking up from the rubble of a once great city,the only artifact from a world now lost.A connection to the past on which the future can be built.He picks up the yellow box and sees the last ever Shameless release before world's end...Night of the Demon...
Old 26th June 2009, 10:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Laugh just now......it's gonna happen.....

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th June 2009, 10:45 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Plenty of time yeti...... I mean, yet.
Old 27th June 2009, 12:32 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
I had "Hostel" and "Saw" pegged as responses to America's treatment of prisoners in the "war on terror".It's interesting to note that the present state of the world reflects that of the early 80s:war in Afghanistan,terrorist attacks on main land Britain and economic chaos.And the films we are getting at the moment:"Friday the 13th","My Bloody Valentine" etc...
Thats an interesting observation that I find myself tending to agree with the more I think about it.

(Sorry, was off a few days or i'd a post sooner)
Old 27th June 2009, 09:38 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A few thoughts on the 90's and horror, as I remember this era very vividly, reading my monthly dose of "Fangoria" and "Gorezone" while musing over all the neat fx, which would get cut out the eventual German DTV arrival anyway...
The late 80's/early 90's saw the likes of the MPAA, BBFC, (German) FSK etc getting very scissor-happy, draining most of the expected blood from the likes of the later Paramount Fridays, lots of "New Line Cinema" titles (like "Leatherface") before they'd even reached a US theatrical release.
Lots and lots of US horror couldn't even get released at all or only heavily cut in countries like the UK, Germany, Sweden, Finland etc.
The fans weren't getting any longer what they wanted, so subsequently the former money making franchises didn't really deliver box-office-wise any more.
The success of Freddy Krueger had also turned most of the competition into lukewarm "Nightmare" wannabees, which didn't manage to be either scary or funny. Instead of reaching the crossover audience of the "Elm Street" series, the likes of "Dr. Giggles" and "Childs Play 3" didn't manage to score either with the mainstream or the horror fanbase
Couple that with the constantly bad press for the genre during that era and it's not so hard to see why the studios had to wrap up their potential scarefests in a far glossier fashion to catch the mainstream crowd of those years.
You see, like any other cinma crowd, the 90's audience did very much have an urge to be scared- but since "horror" was very much "out" and mostly associated with those nerdy male adolescent looser types (pretty much the way many of today's mainstream horror fanbase might view the fanboys of "August Underground", "Murder Set Pieces" etc), the "psychological thriller" had to step in for as long as it took to have a phenomenon like "Scream" coming along just about the time as the "it's-not-a-horror-film" horror movies were running out of steam themselves with the likes of "The Bone Collector" and "Copycat" etc.
"Psycholgical thrillers" were horror for those people, who looked down on the slashers and zombie flicks of the 80's as depraved garbage.
Films like "Misery" and "Silence of the Lambs" got widely embraced, because- hey!- they won Oscars and got rave reviews...so they were "okay" as the "scary movies" for the "middle classes" in the very PC-ish 90's.

Incidently, following the Hannibal Lecter movies, I'll continue my reviews of "psychological thrillers" of that era veeery soon...
Old 10th August 2013, 03:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Four years on from this thread's last post.

I think its safe to say that horror hasn't lost its way. Horror, unlike most movie genres is an ever changing beast.

Torture films have come and gone, and now, once again, ghosts seem to be the order of the day, albeit ghosts with massive fx budgets compared to the heyday of The Innocents and The Haunting.

Over the next few years i'm sure we'll see another breed of horror film taking over our screens. Here's hoping for another Gothic revival following the mini one in the mid nineties.
PaulD likes this.
Old 10th August 2013, 04:39 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Here's hoping for another Gothic revival following the mini one in the mid nineties.
BFI leading the way . . .
Old 10th August 2013, 04:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
I shall be getting this book - Gothic: The Dark Heart of Film. It sounds excellent with a fine range of contributors.
Old 10th August 2013, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I shall be getting this book - Gothic: The Dark Heart of Film. It sounds excellent with a fine range of contributors.
Me too after reading that article
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 10th August 2013, 05:08 PM
Cult Acolyte

I'm very intrigued by this Robin Redbreast release . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!