Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th June 2013, 07:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Default Mondo Film

These aren't everyone's cup of tea but I'm a huge fan of Italian Mondo, particularly the works of Italian originators Jacopetti & Prosperi. Thankfully their filmography is widely available on a few different labels, though arguably the definitive releases are by Blue Underground and Camera Obscura (for Mondo Candido).

Later additions to the Italian Mondo catalogue by the Castiglioni bros and Climati have not really seen the light of day on DVD with the exception of a few Japanese/eastern releases in the early 2000s and a few cut versions of Savage Man, Savage Beast (also a Thai uncut DVD release I believe). Of course I'd like to be proved wrong, anyone know of any other releases that have slipped under the radar?
bdc likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:33 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

While Mondo Candido isn't really a mondo film,Camera Obscura did release Bruno Mattei's Libido Mania.
Zann likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
While Mondo Candido isn't really a mondo film,Camera Obscura did release Bruno Mattei's Libido Mania.
Agreed not strictly speaking, however it deserves a mention alongside the rest of Jacopetti/Prosperi's filmography. MC retains much of the style and flare of their first productions and the tour through the history of the world (or some of it) ie. one minute NYC, the next minute Northern Ireland, the next one Palestine is mondoesque
bdc likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:57 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Yeah it's a bit like the duo's Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971),also not really a mondo film,in some aspects.

Are you looking for other Italian mondo films on dvd?
Zann likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yeah it's a bit like the duo's Goodbye Uncle Tom (1971),also not really a mondo film,in some aspects.
Exactly, Mondo Candido is the next logical progression, taking on even more elements of a regular feature film.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:01 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I want this but will get Death in Haiti first.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Ah Death in Haiti,I think you'll like it as it's part travelogue,part crime thriller and part whodunnit.
Zann likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:07 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Ah Death in Haiti,I think you'll like it as it's part travelogue,part crime thriller and part whodunnit.
Yup next on the list, but I've been overdoing it lately so maybe one for July. Sounds brilliant though
bdc likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I mostly like it for Strindberg and the travelogue part,it's more of a crime thriller than a giallo imho.

Btw are you looking for more Italian mondo on dvd?

I was also wondering if you've ever seen http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062063/ ?
Zann likes this.
Old 10th June 2013, 09:16 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I mostly like it for Strindberg and the travelogue part,it's more of a crime thriller than a giallo imho.

Btw are you looking for more Italian mondo on dvd?
Damn might have to drop the self-control (never lasts long) and buy this month! Yeah I am interested in more Italian Mondo on DVD but only really if it has a decent release, not dvd-r vhs quality which I've seen before.
bdc likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!