Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Favourite british film?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Favourite british film?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th January 2010, 06:07 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

And a bloody nice print it is.
Much nicer than the ILM release...

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th January 2010, 08:04 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
Nice to see Freak has included my fave Hammer flicks in his top 20, Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, The Satanic Rites of Dracula
Grossly underrated films.
"Frank from Hell" is for me not only one of the finest films Hammer ever made...but one of the finest British horror films full stop.

Hammer's late 60's/70's output is so wrongly maligned. For me that was their best period where old fashioned Gothic style, craftmanship and class mixed perfectly with modern sex and violence. They truly show the generally more liked 'Amicus' films of the 70's up.
Old 20th January 2010, 09:18 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42ndStreetFreak View Post
Grossly underrated films.
"Frank from Hell" is for me not only one of the finest films Hammer ever made...but one of the finest British horror films full stop.
Hammer's best FRANKENSTEIN installment IMO.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th January 2010, 10:21 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is my favourite Hammer Frank (due to a particularly sadistic turn from Cushing) but Monster From Hell is a very close second.

Funny how films grow on you. When I first saw Satanic Rites Of Dracula it did nothing for me. Today I class it as one of the best, and certainly the most entertaining, film in the entire Hammer series.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:29 AM
Cult Acolyte

I've already got the excellent (almost uncut) Anolis release of Monster from Hell, all we need now is someone to give us a nice uncut release of Satanic Rites.Thanks for the info on The Vampire Lovers, I'll be picking that up when I got some spare cash.
Old 21st January 2010, 10:47 AM
Ex-member

Is that the German DVD?
I have the German one...best there is as it's the old, only slightly cut, UK print.
Unlike the UK/US DVD's which are the far more cut American print that removes the entire artery/teeth scene.

A nice new uncut DVD of "Rites" would be good, as the old 'AB' DVD is OOP and expensive and the public domain prints (though uncut) are not too good.

It appears in a public domain looking print (and under it's "Count Dracula and his Vampire Brides" moniker) on the UK digital channel 'Film 24' sometimes.
Old 21st January 2010, 01:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yep, it's the German DVD with the title Frankenstein's Hollenmonster on the front cover.Anolis did a cracking restoration job on it too, I don't mind the missing second or two of gory footage.
Old 21st January 2010, 03:09 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

I have the German Anolis Monster From Hell too. By far the best release around to date. Literally just a few split shots missing from the throat slashing but otherwise basically intact.

It's a shame the original BBFC cinema cuts to Satanic Rites appear to have gone forever. A UK release (restoring the brief video cut) would be more than welcome.
Old 21st January 2010, 07:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I have Satanic Rites on a 3 film disc called "Christopher Lee" Darkness Tolls. (Vintage) US Not Rated.
Horror Express and Horror Hotel are the other 2 films on it.
Old 21st January 2010, 07:56 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I've got the Satanic Ritesof Dracula on a R4 Disc.

I also own the Anolis disc of FATMFH.The best I've seen yet.
I used to own the R1 Paramount and R2 DD disc,but both fall short of ze German disc.
I have about 12 Anolis discs and they're all great.I just wish I had collected them all before they went OOP,as they now sell for crazy money!

Like this? Share it using the links below!