Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: Favourite british film?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Favourite british film?

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21st July 2009, 11:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

One of my favourite Brit horrors is Hammer's Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, I just love the overall atmosphere in this movie.And, of course, Peter Cushing is in fine form, if even more gaunt looking than usual.The only thing that lets the movie down imo is the monster suit that poor old Dave Prowse has to wear.
Old 21st July 2009, 02:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
One of my favourite Brit horrors is Hammer's Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell, I just love the overall atmosphere in this movie.And, of course, Peter Cushing is in fine form, if even more gaunt looking than usual.The only thing that lets the movie down imo is the monster suit that poor old Dave Prowse has to wear.
Good film but I think Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed is Cushings finest as the Baron.Wonderfully ruthless in this one.
Old 21st July 2009, 03:24 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Definitely, Mark. The rape scene comes right out of the blue and is still nasty today.
Old 21st July 2009, 05:55 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
There's a lot not there on the poll.Unfortunately the number of options at the time were limited.
ha, thats ok. as far as hammervampiresexploitation goes, you make up for it by NOT including 'lust for a vampire'...

and VC is bizarrely ignored by almost everyone... its like the apotheosis of everything hammer were trying to do in that period... its only drawback being that this also applies to the intensely-annoying-male-protagonist thing they had going then - this one being maybe even worse than the guy in 'scars of dracula'... and at least he got skewered....
Old 21st July 2009, 06:00 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyacker View Post
ha, thats ok. as far as hammervampiresexploitation goes, you make up for it by NOT including 'lust for a vampire'...

and VC is bizarrely ignored by almost everyone... its like the apotheosis of everything hammer were trying to do in that period... its only drawback being that this also applies to the intensely-annoying-male-protagonist thing they had going then - this one being maybe even worse than the guy in 'scars of dracula'... and at least he got skewered....
Now that "Lust for a Vampire" has been mentioned I've got that stupid bloody song "Strange Love" in my head.
Old 21st July 2009, 06:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Now that "Lust for a Vampire" has been mentioned I've got that stupid bloody song "Strange Love" in my head.
at least for the duration of that scene the film is bad-in-a-good-way, rather than just flat out bad!

actually, thnking of misogyny in horror, LFAV and 'scars of dracula' are maybe the worst 2 hammers i've seen, and both are ruined by irritating male leads straight out of a 'confessions...' film. sign o the times back then i guess, replacing the 'old-fashioned' cushing-type leads with 'cheeky chappies' for the male audience to identify with, who actually came across as arrogant smug 1970s england creeps that totally offset hammer's dark gothic tone. rant over
Old 21st July 2009, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyacker View Post
at least for the duration of that scene the film is bad-in-a-good-way, rather than just flat out bad!

actually, thnking of misogyny in horror, LFAV and 'scars of dracula' are maybe the worst 2 hammers i've seen, and both are ruined by irritating male leads straight out of a 'confessions...' film. sign o the times back then i guess, replacing the 'old-fashioned' cushing-type leads with 'cheeky chappies' for the male audience to identify with, who actually came across as arrogant smug 1970s england creeps that totally offset hammer's dark gothic tone. rant over
Hammer did "Countess Dracula" the same year as LFAV and SOD(!).Post 1960s horror films became more youth orientated for better or worse.The excellent "Blood on Satan's Claw" being a good example of how to get it right.
Old 21st July 2009, 10:11 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly
The excellent "Blood on Satan's Claw" being a good example of how to get it right.
I was scanning this post and read it as Blood on Santa's Claw
Old 21st July 2009, 10:13 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioZombie View Post
I was scanning this post and read it as Blood on Santa's Claw
Santa's Claw or Santa Claws?
Old 21st July 2009, 10:16 PM
Grindhouse Project Co-ordinator

is their a film called Santa Claws?? It would make a great horror if there isnt.

Last edited by BioZombie; 22nd July 2009 at 10:17 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!