Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd July 2009, 09:59 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Must admit I don't recall them. I remember Little Big Man well though.
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:28 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

when i was about 6 my granddad always told me about the films he had seen to scare me i think but it just fascinated me and made me want to see them, he told me about the hills have eyes,night of the demon,the exorcist,texas chainsaw masscre and loads more.

my parents obviously wouldn't let me watch them at that age but when i was about ten there was a guy who used to come around my area with in a car renting out horror films from his boot, after a few weeks of moaning to my mum she started to let me get some within reason.

after a while she stopped coming out to see what i was picking so i would get one i knew she wouldn't mind and sneaked another up my top and watched it when everyone had gone to bed, they terrified me and i loved it.

and its stuck ever since
Old 22nd July 2009, 10:34 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

What a great Granddad.When I was about 11 or 12 my Nan gave me the film tie in book of "The Devil Rides Out" with stills from the film on the cover.And so started my liking of the occult.
Old 22nd July 2009, 11:29 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
What a great Granddad.When I was about 11 or 12 my Nan gave me the film tie in book of "The Devil Rides Out" with stills from the film on the cover.And so started my liking of the occult.
yeah he is!!

sounds like an awesome nan
Old 23rd July 2009, 08:51 AM
Active Cultist
Good Trader

in the late 70's the local Working Mens Club used to show films on a thursday night on the big screen in a back room mainly mainstream stuff but quite a few horrors as well. with my dad on the comittee and mom working behind the bar I was allowed to sneak in as I was only 9/10 at the time but seeing things like The Exorcist/Texas Chainsaw Massacre at such a young age had a profound effect on me.

Then with the advent of video a few years later and being able to watch what you want when you want. only to suddenly be told you can no longer watch it. if you didn't live through the nasties period it's hard to describe what it's like.

For the younger members of the board it would be something akin to being told from 1st August All mp3 players are to be handed in and only ipods can be used.

alex
Old 23rd July 2009, 09:49 AM
Competitions Moderator
Good Trader

I like to see people suffer.

(I joke! )
Old 23rd July 2009, 10:51 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdvds View Post
I like to see people suffer.

(I joke! )
I know,this latest comp is killing me!
Old 23rd July 2009, 11:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
I used the have the full set of these (made by Aurora). Salem Witch, King Kong, Forgotten Prisoner etc. Even had the Guillotine model - plus a skeleton (which never seem to balance properly on the wire stand) and the model of The Visible Man (anyone remember that one?).

Great stuff.
I had the Creature from the Black Lagoon one. Good times.

Why do I like horror? Because I enjoy them..? I think I love the fantastical elements of them, for the most part. They provide true escapism. That's why I tend to avoid stuff that mirrors real life too closely. Cathartism? Maybe, maybe not. As a person I'm very disinclined towards violence, so I don't really see it as an outlet, not one that I really need, at any rate - it's not as if I'd go hacking people up with a chainsaw if I couldn't see them. Maybe I'm just a bit strange...who knows? Difficult question, I'm going to have to think a bit more on this and post again.
Old 30th July 2009, 04:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Probably the reason i like horror so much is mainly how some films can really creep you out. When a film scare the bejesus out of you it stays with you for quite a while.As mentioned on another thread,i had a fear of disembodied hands for years after seeing the beast with five fingers,and there was something really cool about staying up late to watch those horror double bills on the beeb when my parents were out. Of course,when video took of,seeing all that garish artwork on the covers,you couldnt help but rent them.Fulci's zombie flesh eaters,with its green hand emerging from the ground was the one i really had to see,and having an older brother,well,the floodgates were opened so to speak.My parents were a bit worried for a while,and thinking it was a phase i was going through,thought it would pass.How wrong could they be.I remember my mother tut tutting when she watched the cut vhs tape of bava's demons with me,god knows what she'd make of august undergrounds mordum!!!
She actually barred me from getting rosemarys killer,and wouldnt get it for me,mainly due to the scene on the cover.
But,and im sure im not alone here in manipulating my folks,i asked my dad to rent it for me,as mum said it would be ok.Needless to say,there was a few strong words exchanged between my folks that night when my mum saw what dad had brought home from the video shop.
So to sum up,i have my parents and bro to thank for my constant love of horror flicks. Thanks folks!
Old 31st July 2009, 03:07 AM
Cult Acolyte

Ever since I was allowed to stay up late to watch Hammer's The Vampire Lovers I've had a fascination with horror movies.Occasionly I was allowed to stay up to watch the BBC's horror double bills, one of the movies that sticks out most in my mind from that time was The Satanic Rites of Dracula.From there I moved on to video and a whole new world of graphic horror opened up to me.Two of my favourite nasties were Zombie Flesh-Eaters and Cannibal Ferox, which I rented out umpteen times much to my parents irritation.I was also bought Denis Gifford's Pictorial History of Horror Movies, and my older brothers used to buy the Aurora glow-in-the-dark models and when they had constructed them, gave them to me.

Like this? Share it using the links below!