Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th August 2009, 08:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The SLICE AND DICE THREAD: DISCUSS YOUR MADMEN HERE!

There are a lot of gore and underground topics on the board at the moment,and with the great news that Arrow are releasing SILENT NIGHT,DEADLY NIGHT, I thought we'd get back to some basics.Slashers are one of the most popular sub genres of horror.
Talk about your favourite slicers and dicers here.Don't just list 'em,tell us why you like them and what are your memories of seeing your fave for the first time........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 394px-The_Prowler.jpg (56.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 386px-Maniac_(1980).jpg (54.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 406px-Graduation_Day_poster.jpg (64.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg I_Know_What_You_Did_Last_Summer.jpg (28.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Happy_birthday_to_me.jpg (48.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg PiecesPoster.jpg (39.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Silentnightdeadlynight.jpg (16.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Urban_Legend_film.jpg (34.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Theburningposter.jpg (38.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Final_exam_poster.jpg (22.2 KB, 4 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th August 2009, 08:58 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The first slasher I seen on video,I reckon was THE BURNING.I was about ten and the BBFC (Big Brutal Father Censor) allowed me to watch it,although he did fast forward the sex (using the then state of the art remote with plugin cable).
Cropsy was a scary bastard when you were ten.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:13 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

On the subject of SILENT NIGHT DEADLY NIGHT,the film caused outrage when first released.Although never classed as a video nasty,the film was never certified in the UK.
Some critics lambasted it,such as;

Leonard Maltin asking the question;
'What's next?The Easter Bunny as a child molestor?'
Large protest groups formed outside theaters in the US and apparently the poster shown in the post above,is the second reincarnation,the first being withdrawn.So if anyone has a pic of what the original poster was,please do stick it on.
SILENT NIGHT,DEADLY NIGHT remains the best of the 'Slasher as Santa' films.
Others include;
Don't open 'Til' Christmas
Christmas Evil
which are both worth a watch,but inferior to SNDN.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silentnightdeadlynight.jpg (16.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg ChristmasEvilDVD.jpg (16.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg D92542.jpg (20.7 KB, 2 views)

Old 27th August 2009, 09:16 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Another classic slasher,is of course the Xmas-themed BLACK CHRISTMAS.
A truly chilling movie which is often unfairly forgotten when the likes of HALLOWEEN is being mentioned as the one that kickstarted the genre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black_christmas_movie_poster.jpg (50.1 KB, 1 views)

Old 27th August 2009, 09:28 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Even though I'm a giallo man at heart, I do love my slashers too...

Classic faves include:

Bay of Blood - the DEFINITIVE slasher film, and Bava seniors masterpiece IMO.
Black Christmas - Probably my favourite slasher, has all the elements I like plus is pretty damn creepy too.
The Burning - The first slasher I ever saw (I think I was about 8 or 9 at the time) and I've been hooked ever since!
Halloween - Even though I can't stand Jamie Lee Curtis, I can't fault Carpenter's Halloween - the suspense, the spray painted William Shatner mask, the score... Perfect.
Maniac - Without Spinell, this would have probably been garbage but what a performance - he made that film.

Then of course there is Fulci's New York Ripper - if you consider that a slasher.

More (controversial ) faves of mine are:

American Psycho - One of the best modern slashers, with a great performance from Bale.
Blue Eyes of the Broken Doll - sort of a Spanish Giallo with Paul Naschy. About a serial killer who slaughters women and removes their eyes... one of my fave Spanish slasher flicks... not that there are many!
Cradle of Fear - The whole goth n' gore thing appeals to me... that and a naked Emily Booth...
Home Sick - I don't know why this appeals so much to me as it is brainless, but it has some good gore plus a very memorable performance by Bill Moseley slicing himself up with razorblades.
Pieces - Great, cheesy fun.
Stagefright - The bad dubbing, the owl, the chainsaw deaths, the chilling tableaux of arranged dead bodies as the climax is reached... it's almost poetic... great stuff from Soavi, who is criminally underated IMO.

Honorable mention: Family (John Landis) Master's of Horror series - George Wendt from Cheers kills people off in order to create a 'family' who are real and alive in his head.

So bad it's good mention: Blood Feast H G Lewis' tale of the Egyptian Cannibal Caterer - what's not to like?!

I'm not a great fan of the modern slasher nor the heavy franchise slasher's such as the Friday's and The Elm Street's. The only new stand-alone slasher I've seen recently that I thought had any merit was probably Laid to Rest - and even that I thought ended badly. I quite enjoyed Zombie's Halloween though, and I am looking forward to the sequel.

Last edited by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs; 27th August 2009 at 09:47 PM.
Old 27th August 2009, 09:32 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Technically speaking B.E.,I'd say NYR was a slasher mate.

Another guy who broke their duck with THE BURNING.

What print do you prefer B.E.?
The Vipco grainy,'Grindhouse' look or the highly polished MGM Widescreen version?

Old 27th August 2009, 09:43 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Technically speaking B.E.,I'd say NYR was a slasher mate.

Another guy who broke their duck with THE BURNING.

What print do you prefer B.E.?
The Vipco grainy,'Grindhouse' look or the highly polished MGM Widescreen version?
I suppose NYR is a slasher - I was originally leaning more towards a Donald Duck Sexploitation flick though...

The Vipco print of Burning is terrible (admittedly I did see the VHS - the DVD may be better), I have yet to see the MGM copy. I have the 2 disc German Retrofilm release (it has that fantastic artwork on the cover that you posted above ) and the print is pretty good - although it is probably lifted from somewhere.
Old 27th August 2009, 10:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Where did you get the German release mate?

Old 28th August 2009, 05:44 AM
Cult Acolyte

Some of my fave slashers:

My Bloody Valentine (the original) - I'd never seen this until I got a hold of the Lionsgate SE DVD, I really enjoyed this original and inventive slasher.

The Burning - Saw this years back on the Thorn EMI pre-cert, loved it then and still love it now.This boasts some great Savini make-up & gore FX, likeable slasher fodder and a Rick Wakeman score.

The Prowler - Again saw this in the pre-cert days under the Rosemary's Killer title in a heavily cut down version.Picked up the uncut Blue Underground disc some years back and loved the graphic Savini gore, especially that classic bayonet through the skull scene.

Maniac - Joe Spinell plays the sweaty, mother fixated psycho brilliantly in this and once again FX master Tom Savini provides some gruesome scalpings, stabbings and one of the best exploding head scenes ever commited to celluloid.

Last edited by Vampix; 25th September 2009 at 01:23 PM.
Old 28th August 2009, 07:12 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper72 View Post
Where did you get the German release mate?
eBay mate.

Like this? Share it using the links below!