Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th November 2012, 11:55 PM
Cult Acolyte

You've got to check out Hammer's vampire flicks too: the Dracula series with Christopher Lee, Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter, The Vampire Lovers, etc.
Old 5th November 2012, 12:36 AM
Cultist

Yes, I remember Vamp and I remember that I didn't like it. I was a child at the time I watched it though so I should watch again.
jamie_leigh44 likes this.
Old 5th November 2012, 01:46 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

My favourite vampire film is probably Dracula Has Risen from the Grave. But the vampire movie that fascinates me the most and keeps drawing me back is Werner Herzog's Nosferatu - The Vampyre. It just seems so....authentic. There's a real sense of death and decay and Kinski is fantastic as the almost vermin-like vampire. The film boasts an incredibly claustrophobic and yet expansive score by Popol Vuh that suits the film perfectly - and when Tsintskaro is played over the rat plague it creates a haunting beauity belying the madness and violence onscreen (a trick Ortolani also used for Cannibal Holocaust).

So, if you've not seen Herzog's Nosferatu, I urge you to do so. It's melancholic, haunting, beautiful - and yet decadent and frightening. IMO it's a minor masterpiece.
Old 5th November 2012, 04:23 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

My favourites will always be the Hammer films. No one beats Christopher Lee as Dracula in my opinion.

The Karnstein trilogy are also essential viewing as well.
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 5th November 2012, 07:50 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The BBC's 1977 film of Count Dracula is very good as well - the DVD is well worth picking up...

Old 5th November 2012, 02:17 PM
Cultist

I've yet to see a vampire film with a better ending than Lips of Blood.

And speaking of endings, is it just me or does the vampire film genre seem to suffer more than any other horror related genre from unsatisfactory endings? You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones where the seemingly omnipotent undead count always ends up being undone by a pudding-faced priest or a semi-literate yokel. I mean the count has survived for some 500+ years, evading war and famine, only to have a stake driven through his heart by some fin de siecle equivalent of a grocery store bag boy. Totally unsatisfactory, if you ask me.

Last edited by Robert W; 5th November 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 5th November 2012, 03:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Agree. But thems the conventions sadly. Any love for NADJA?? Otherwise, can i sort of shoehorn Liquid Sky in here?

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th November 2012, 12:19 AM
Cultist in Training

dracula;dead and loving it
Prince_Vajda likes this.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post

And speaking of endings, is it just me or does the vampire film genre seem to suffer more than any other horror related genre from unsatisfactory endings? You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones where the seemingly omnipotent undead count always ends up being undone by a pudding-faced priest or a semi-literate yokel. I mean the count has survived for some 500+ years, evading war and famine, only to have a stake driven through his heart by some fin de siecle equivalent of a grocery store bag boy. Totally unsatisfactory, if you ask me.
Yeah, but you can kind of believe it when it's the great Peter Cushing dispatching the undead.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 7th November 2012, 01:51 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W View Post
I've yet to see a vampire film with a better ending than Lips of Blood.

Yes, this is why I've always preferred the endings of both versions of Nosferatu. He's held in thrall to his fascination (I would say 'love', but there's still something perverse about it - even though it's poignant as well) of the woman which keeps him there till sunrise. There's just something hauntingly poetic about it.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!