Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Films of PETE WALKER (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/2160-films-pete-walker.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2010 08:45 PM

The Films of PETE WALKER

10 Attachment(s)
Born in 1939 in Brighton,director,writer and producer Pete Walker moved from sexploitation films in the late sixties to some of the most censor-baiting horror and exploitation of the seventies.
Following on from perhaps Russell's example (THE DEVILS),British directors like Walker and Norman J Warren stepped up the violence and nudity in U.K. cinemas.Something that was (normally) left for Hammer films to provide the British movie-going public with.
From miniscule budgets,Walker crafted films that betrayed their humble purse strings,giving us a much more cold and brutal outlook to Britsploitation.
Peaking at the top of his game in the seventies,Walker moved into the eighties,directing what should have been one of THE horror events of the century, HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS.
With an iconic horror cast to die for,House boasted the talents of four horror legends,Peter Cushing,Christopher Lee,Vincent Price and John Carradine!
Whilst sadly not up to the brutal films he unleashed during the seventies,HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS is looked upon fondly by Walker fans,and is one of the few films of his output,which has yet to see the light of day on DVD.
Retiring from the film industry altogether,Walker moved into property development and real estate.
Sadly,a great waste of talent!

What's your favourite Walker flick?

Were any of you lucky enough to catch one on the big screen?

Discuss all aspects of Walker here!:nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th January 2010 08:51 PM

Multiple choice poll people!:nod:

vincenzo 4th January 2010 10:46 PM

Tough choice between Frightmare and Cool It Carol for top spot for me. I also enjoyed the underrated Home Before Midnight.

I watched House Of The Long Shadows again last week (via the Guild video) and didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. In fact, considering the phenomenal cast, it was a bit of a wasted opportunity at times.

mark meakin 5th January 2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vincenzo (Post 56195)
Tough choice between Frightmare and Cool It Carol for top spot for me. I also enjoyed the underrated Home Before Midnight.

I watched House Of The Long Shadows again last week (via the Guild video) and didn't enjoy it as much as I used to. In fact, considering the phenomenal cast, it was a bit of a wasted opportunity at times.

Frightmare for me.A very grisly brit horror for the time.The House Of Mortal Sin (Confessional Murders) was okay,though it's a shame Peter Cushing was unable to make the movie.

mark meakin 5th January 2010 11:32 AM

Schizo is WAY overlong & could easily have lost 15 minutes.I have the uncut R1 disc,but I'm not a big fan of the film.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th January 2010 08:34 PM

FRIGHTMARE for me also.Though as I say,I like all of his films.

FRIGHTMARE has the grubby and gritty locations,some of which I believe were filmed eastwards along the coast from you Vince.

Paul@TheOverlook 5th January 2010 09:41 PM

HOUSE OF WHIPCORD is definitely my favourite. It's such an intensely uncomfortable experience.

vincenzo 5th January 2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 56409)
FRIGHTMARE has the grubby and gritty locations,some of which I believe were filmed eastwards along the coast from you Vince.

Most of it was filmed in Haslemere, Surrey. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th January 2010 12:33 AM

Thought that.There is a motorway sign visible in the film.
My sister in law lives down that way.....

Anyone think Peter Cushing would have did a better job on 'Mortal Sin'?

vincenzo 6th January 2010 12:48 AM

Yes I do. Anthony Sharp was an excellent actor and did the best he could, but he didn't quite have the necessary bite for the role.

Cushing also turned down Blood From The Mummy's Tomb, Lust For A Vampire and Halloween.