Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th January 2012, 08:37 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elevator-lif...7566998&sr=1-1

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 26th January 2012, 01:23 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

Looks like he remade it in 2001(?) with Naomi Watts.

Down [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: James Marshall, Naomi Watts, Eric Thal, Michael Ironside, Edward Herrmann, Dan Hedaya, Ron Perlman, Kathryn Meisle, Martin McDougall, John Cariani, David Gwillim, Peter Banks, Marc Felperlaan, Dick Maas, Bert Rijkelijkhuizen

And this is the original US title.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shaft-DVD-Re...584231&sr=8-19
Old 26th January 2012, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah and apparently it's shite!

The original is a wee gem!
Demoncrat likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 2nd February 2012, 01:53 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

THe original would be a perfect film for Shameless I reckon.

Just watching the French DVD now and it is pretty decent, but not ideal.

PQ is OK, but the old English dubbed soundtrack is really showing its age/budget. This needs an English subtitle option to put over the original Dutch soundtrack.

More irksome is the aspect ratio. It seems to be based around an unmatted print (theatrical ratio was 1.66:1) but still scanned in slightly for a 1.33:1 presentation (the left edge seems cropped). Changing my telly to 1.55:1 hints that without this cropping it might have looked quite decent zoomed in.

The Netherlands release zooms in all the way to 1.78:1, so who knows what that looks like!

A nice 1:66:1 anamorphic transfer with English subtitles would be a suitable service to a wonderful bit of Euro horror.
Demoncrat, Handyman Joe and JonD like this.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:24 PM
Ex-member

Exclamation

AMSTERDAMNED rocks! An incredibly good, low-budget slice of Eurothriller from the Netherlands, and one of the last decent films ITV ever aired, which is how I saw it. (They premiered it at 2am on New Year's Day in the early 1990's! :grin: )

I loved the film so much, I bought the Netherlands DVD release which didn't have any kind of English audio/subs to chose, but it was that good I endured watching it in Dutch, until - of couirse - Nouveaux Pictures released it in the UK a year or two back, with both the English subtitled option, and the English dubbed option (predominantly performed by the original cast, who were mainly bi-lingual, making it a very rare occasion when a film's cast has performed the same film in two languages)!

I remember THE LIFT on Channel 4 many, many years ago, but I was so young (early teens at best), that I don't honestly remember much about it. Definitely a film I'd like to see released in the UK, however.
Old 19th November 2012, 04:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two releases?

http://www.amazon.fr/LAscenseur-Huub...9804483&sr=1-1

L'Ascenseur: Amazon.fr: Huub Stapel, Willeke van Ammelrooy, Josine van Dalsum, Huib Broos, Paul Gieske, Dick Scheffer, Dick Maas: DVD & Blu-ray
Old 19th November 2012, 07:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That first release don't exist mate.
Ordering it gets you the release below it which is what happened to me.

As I may have said before,well worth it!
Jinx_Barkman likes this.

Old 19th November 2012, 08:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Thanks Reaper man! I will be ordering shortly.
Old 29th November 2012, 08:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I got this one recently and I wasn't impressed at all to be honest. I know it's a bit of a cult film and even regarded as a classic in some quarters, but it was sadly one of those movies that I struggled to get into. The idea was good enough and certainly original, but flat characterisation, cinematography and direction let it down. The pace was also too leisurely for its own good, and that's before even getting onto the plot which didn't really go anywhere.

The disc itself was pretty half arsed with a full screen presentation and no restoration, it looked like a good VHS, and while the artwork was nice and it was certainly good to finally see this film for myself, I certainly won't be revisiting it, unless the remake bowls me over. It's a pity because I really liked Amsterdamned by Dick Maas.

Like this? Share it using the links below!