Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: BEST WARREN? -MULTIPLE CHOICE!
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
BEST WARREN? -MULTIPLE CHOICE!

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th March 2010, 01:08 PM
Cult Addict
Senior Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
Has anybody here seen it? Ive been told that it totally stands out from the rest of the film and it looks like something more akin to a Fulci scene rather than a Warren one.
It's on the US Rhino 8-on-2 DVD (Horrible Horrors Vol 1) which I picked up a while ago. Yes it's a nasty scene. No wonder Warren himself didn't like it.

My favourite Warren film though I prefer the uncut UK version.
Old 31st March 2010, 06:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Yes it's a long drawn out sequence, which was never really intended for the UK market. It shows Potter cutting off her clothes and then tracing the scissors over her body. I can't see it getting through for many years to come.

Like Vince I prefer the uncut UK DVD. Excellent film which I've always enjoyed.
Old 31st March 2010, 01:41 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I love satans slave, but I still have yet to see the full uncut version of it. Im referring to the notorious "scissors murder" of the blonde, which to my knowledge was only ever present in the old intervision pre-cert (here in the uk). I bought the box set a few years back on the strength of this scene being included in the extras, but alas, the bbfc still thought that it was too strong for our eyes.

Has anybody here seen it? Ive been told that it totally stands out from the rest of the film and it looks like something more akin to a Fulci scene rather than a Warren one.
Screencaps from the RHINO disc can be seen here (if you're a member):-
http://home.worldwidedvdforums.com/f...tan%27s#p56482
Old 1st April 2010, 05:04 PM
Cult Rookie

I noticed that you haven't included Gunpowder (1984) on the list.
Old 21st August 2010, 11:11 PM
Cult Rookie

... satan's slave is a decent, solid horror film. i quite enjoyed it. shame warren's later work wasn't nearly as strong ...

... i watched the elite dvd version of inseminoid last night. it's like watching a completely different movie from the butchered vhs version of horror planet i found used in a pawn shop years ago. i think it's fair to describe inseminoid as bad, but bad in good way. it's clearly a low budget production done with much creativity and that adds to its charm. the moody opening titles are enjoyable ...

... one major question i need answered: what was the doctor's role in sandy's impregnation by the alien? the movie shows the doctor restraining sandy with a tranquilizer thus allow the alien rape ... was that for real? did the doctor actually accomodate the extra-terrestrial sexual violation?
Old 24th October 2011, 10:10 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I'll be up for one of these,for sure!

Satan's Slave (DVD)

Year:1976
Director: Norman J. Warren
Running Time: 88 min
Release Date:

A young girl is caught up in a devil cult run by her evil uncle and cousin. She can trust no one and even people she thought were dead comes back to haunt her. Now for the first time, anywhere in the world, in widescreen in its completely uncut version.

DVD FEATURES:

- Watch this in "Katarina's Nightmare Theater" format with our Hostess Katarina Leigh Waters or Play Feature Only.
- 16x9 widescreen (2:35) master of the uncensored uncut version, first time anywhere in the world
- Interview with composer John Scott
- Vintage making of featurette
- Behind the scene featurette.
- Deleted scenes
- Norman Warren's short film FRAGMENTS
- Theatrical trailer

TECHNICAL INFO:

Color
2.35:1
Dolby Digital Mono
Region 0
Attached Images
File Type: jpg satansslaves.jpg (82.5 KB, 5 views)
mark meakin, Mojo, bdc and 2 others like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:21 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I love satans slave, but I still have yet to see the full uncut version of it. Im referring to the notorious "scissors murder" of the blonde, which to my knowledge was only ever present in the old intervision pre-cert (here in the uk). I bought the box set a few years back on the strength of this scene being included in the extras, but alas, the bbfc still thought that it was too strong for our eyes.

When Rhino Video had the Crown catalog, they released an fullscreen version of the export version (the AB UK version is not cut so much as Warren's preferred version - the print had the scene in it but Warren inserted the softer version from another source). When BCI remastered the version for their 16:9 release, there print source was chopped up.

Scorpion Releasing is putting out new versions of SATAN'S SLAVE and TERROR (the AB UK version is the way to go for the extras, but it is a 16:9 reframing of a cropped source while the BCI transfer - which will probably be used for the Scorpion transfer - was a newer 16:9 transfer with better framing.
bdc likes this.
Old 28th October 2011, 03:42 PM
Cult Addict

Thanks for the info bud!
Old 28th October 2011, 04:53 PM
Ex-member

Default The NORMAN J WARREN Thread

my faves from Warren are
SATAN'S SLAVE
PREY
INSEMINOID
TERROR
mark meakin likes this.
Old 28th October 2011, 08:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

PREY-Now there's how to make a film on feck-all budget.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!