All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:39 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I agree with you when it comes to some commentary is being recorded because the studio wants the filmmaker/actor to provide one rather than because they generally want to share information with the fans. I hated the one on the Dodgeball DVD as it didn't seem like a satire on commentaries but sheer laziness. Speaking of which, the most utterly pointless commentary that I've come across recently was the commentary (Mom-mentary) on The Other Guys Blu-ray in which three mothers of members of the cast and crew sit down and talk about the film when they know absolutely nothing about how it was made.
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:44 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
...three mothers of members of the cast and crew sit down and talk about the film when they know absolutely nothing about how it was made.
See, that's exactly the sort of gimmicky crap that I'm talking about – who but a weirdo with a penchant for older ladies would actually bother with that sort of thing?
Old 2nd February 2011, 11:59 AM
Cult Acolyte

I don't care too much about most extras & commentaries, only on the films I'm interested in that I haven't heard much background information on in the past.Hence, some of my favourite DVD extras are on things like Fulci's horror movies, Witchfinder General, Re-Animator, Cannibal Holocaust & Ferox, Maniac, etc.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 2nd February 2011, 12:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Radice's commentary for COLTD (Arrow) is priceless (not crawling here..genuinely is a hoot and it merely reminds me that i never made it down to glasgow to meet him in person, ARSE!!)
for a different reason Ferrara's "commentary" for THE DRILLER KILLER is a total scream as he seems to be reaally out of it....
the Zarchi commentary for ISOYG made me reevaluate the film
i have enjoyed some of the Doctor Who commentaries (Talons, Silurians, Genesis etc) as well.
a film should be at LEAST 10 years old before a commentary is considered IMO.
Old 12th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Cult Rookie

I love commentaries but they have to be lively and informative. I hate the dry academic commentaries that often are on the Criterion discs where the commentator is usually reading the info from a piece of paper. I turn them off rather quickly.
ED2 is tops, Big Trouble in Little China, the drunken commentary on Cannibal the musical is pure gold. Bey Logan's stuff is always good to listen to as the guy is a mountain of knowledge.
One of the worst commentary I've listened to is for Deep Star Six with Sean S Cunningham and the film's writer. It's basically just them breathing in the mic for 90 minutes.
Old 21st February 2011, 05:24 PM
Cult Rookie

i enjoy listening to them right after i watch the movie. A real sleeper is THX-1138. Oh My Gawd! Lucas did not want to be there. he would veer off the road and talk about flowers in his garden while all hell was breaking loose on the screen.
Old 21st February 2011, 05:31 PM
Active Cultist

I've listened to a fair few and most are interesting but just a little dull - I find that a good sit down interview can usually get most of the info over in less than twenty minutes and include some interesting illustrative clips/pics from other films as well. To be honest if I had 90 minutes spare, I would rather watch a new film than rewatch one with a commentary.

There are some good fun tracks out there, I always remember the 'Dog Soldiers' cast track being very entertaining and I think I must have listened to every single Futurama commentary track, particularly when the chaps who play Bender and Fry are present they can be laugh-out-loud funny.
Old 21st February 2011, 06:15 PM
Cult Addict

I've listened to a few Bey Logan commentaries recently for Way of the Dragon, Fist of Fury and Tai Chi Master AKA Twin Dragons and the man is a revelation. The bit at the end of Fist of Fury where he points out the comedian Steve Martin in an uncredited cameo is the icing on the cake.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:03 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

If anyone is interested !

Some good soul out there shared a link on my blog late last night for an mp3 rip of John Sturges' near-mythical commentary from the Criterion laserdisc of Bad Day At Black Rock. (The current Warners does not include this). I don't want to post the dl link here, I know some folks are sensitive about this so anyone looking for this commentary (get it sooner rather than later), head over to the scene of the crime here: Plutonium Shores presents The Lost Criterion Commentaries

Handyman Joe likes this.
Old 1st November 2012, 07:42 AM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
If anyone is interested !

Some good soul out there shared a link on my blog late last night for an mp3 rip of John Sturges' near-mythical commentary from the Criterion laserdisc of Bad Day At Black Rock. (The current Warners does not include this). I don't want to post the dl link here, I know some folks are sensitive about this so anyone looking for this commentary (get it sooner rather than later), head over to the scene of the crime here: Plutonium Shores presents The Lost Criterion Commentaries

Cheers Wes, I take it the Taxi Driver one on there got pulled?

Hopefully Criterion will retain the rights to Crash some day, I don't see why not as the current holders seem to be doing bugger all with the film.
Wes likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!