Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2010, 11:45 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Tim Lucas' Mario Bava commentarys are always worth a listen.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 30th May 2010, 11:53 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatterdragon73 View Post
BU supremo Bill Lustig was born to do an audio commentary. Just listen to his yap tracks on Maniac Cop, Uncle Sam, Vigilante and Maniac for further proof.

Jeff Burr's vocal contribution to Leatherface:The Texas Chainsaw Massacre III was pretty informative too from what i recall.
Lustig's commentaries with Larry Cohen are hilarious as well...i also really like the track on "Fight for Your Life", its so apparent that Lustig loves the movie.
Old 11th June 2010, 06:09 PM
Cult Rookie

I find I do artwork to commentaries (I have no idea why), but I enjoy the Piranha commentary with Joe Dante and Jon Davison-it's pretty funny and I probably listen to it at least every two months.
Old 16th July 2010, 12:41 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via Skype™ to dangerous_jamie

As someone already said, Carpenter and Russell give great commentary.

The best one I have heard lately is the Ti West, Larry Fessenden, Peter Phok, and Graham Reznick on House Of The Devil.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:39 PM
Cultist

Normally after I've watched a movie a few times, I'll give the audio commentary a spin, and like if the first ten minutes don't enlighten me enough I turn it back off.

Here's a few commentaries I loved though

I Spit on Your Grave - original version (Joe Bob Briggs and Meir Zarchi's Commentary on the Elite Edition - they were awesome.)

The Toolbox Murders (Commentary on the Blue Underground release.)

City of the Living Dead (Commentary on the VIPCO release.. yes I still have to get the Arrow release )

Halloween II - Original version.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 6th January 2011, 12:09 AM
Ex-member

I quite like the Ross Noble ones.
Old 29th January 2011, 11:36 AM
Cultist
Good Trader

The last one I listened to was for Dans Ma Peau. I wish I had more time to do that, it's something I rarely get around to doing.
Old 29th January 2011, 02:55 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Tim Lucas' Mario Bava commentarys are always worth a listen.
Yup, I second that. Listened to a few of these and they always help to deepen my appreciation of the films, which is surely one of the main purposes of a decent commentary.

Guillermo del Toro's commentary on Eureka's release of Vampyr is also pretty informative. Anyone know if he's done commentaries for anyone else's films?
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:31 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Generally speaking, I can listen to the following directors over and over: Guillermo del Toro, Ridley Scott, John Carpenter (particularly when he is with Kurt Russell) and Francis Ford Coppola.

I'm not particularly keen on cast commentaries, particularly if they are quite young (as in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist) or comedians who just want to joke about for the whole running time and not provide you with any information at all.

I also really like the 'experts' who talk about old films with occasional archive interviews with members of the cast and crew or ones that are delivered like an audio essay such as the David Kalat commentary on the Dr Mabuse collection and Bey Logan is always a mine of information.
Old 2nd February 2011, 09:42 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

For sheer entertainment value Paul Verhoeven cannot be beaten. Kevin Smith commentaries are usually a real hoot too.

I also like the group commentaries on Bill Lustig’s Maniac and Vigilante discs.

Truth be told, I’ve not listened to a complete commentary in years, unless I've had to review the disc in question. I don’t have the time to watch all the films I’ve bought, let alone check out every extra on each disc. Something’s got to give and it’s always the extras in my case. There was a time that no rock would be left unturned when it came to extras, but there were fewer releases with extras back then, especially when I was buying LaserDiscs. A special edition was exactly what it said on the tin, and the extras were meaningful. These days many of the extras that appear on the discs from the big studios are nothing more than filler. The filmmaker commentaries and interviews are done out of contractual obligation, rather than out of love for sharing stories and anecdotes. Don’t get me wrong, there are still a lot of releases that feature decent, intelligent extras, but there are a lot of DVDs that are literally padded-out to give the consumer the impression that they’re getting great value for money. Almost everyone that I know who is into collecting films doesn’t bother with the extras on newly released films.

Like this? Share it using the links below!