Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2016, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I was in a hurry and didn't read the whole review I guess.
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:58 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I was in a hurry and didn't read the whole review I guess.
Happens to the best of us!
Old 23rd February 2016, 06:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Nothing Underneath (1985)

In Milan a fashion model is kidnapped and believed murdered by a killer using scissors to mutilate his victims. Over in Yellowstone National Park a ranger has a disturbing vision about his sister and high tails it across the pond to Italy where he enlists the help of Donald Pleasence's detective to help track down his sister.

It's tough for a later giallo to add anything to what had become a well worn genre by this stage. Unfortunately Nothing Underneath falls into that bracket as it is on the whole fairly routine.

Whilst not particularly gory, most kills are off camera, perhaps in the knowledge that every conceivable murder had already been seen by giallo movie goers. Director Carlo Vanzina chooses to portray his murders a little more in the art house direction shall we say. Take the example of the blood dripping into a bath as a good example of what i mean. Although what gore is onscreen is well done and looks very effective. Then of course there's the slo-mo finale...

The film is, i think, Donald Pleasence' only foray into the giallo genre (Correct me if i'm wrong, please) and his presence is a welcome one. His role isn't that different to his trademark Sam Loomis Halloween role, except perhaps a tad more sceptical when it comes to the psychic link between the ranger and his sister, and for the most part he works well with lead actor, Tom Shanley. (who!?)

Nothing Underneath is never going to make you mouth 'wow!' in amazement but it sticks to it's giallo roots well and in time honored traditions features a bevy of beautiful girls, a lot of red herrings and mystery, and of course a little sleaze to tide you over.

Old 23rd February 2016, 09:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I love my gialli!
Old 24th February 2016, 06:58 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Opera (1987)

Old 24th February 2016, 07:18 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids (1971)

Umberto Lenzi does himself proud here. The director of exploitation classic Cannibal Ferox (1981) really turns on the sleaze in the opening half hour of Seven Blood-Stained Orchids, treating us to four murders and three sequences of nudity in the opening 20 minutes. Setting his stall out from the get-go.

I like Seven Blood-Stained Orchids. Based on a story from German Krimi writer Edgar Wallace, it has a linear plot that's easy to follow. Basically, Antonio Sabato attempting to track down a savage killer who leaves crescent moon shaped pendants on his victims. A failed attempt to murder Uschi Glas gives Sabato chance before the killer realizes she's still alive.

It can be argued that Lenzi doesn't have the style of some of his contemporaries and whilst this is probably true his no-nonsense approach to film making benefits this film as the story races along. As well as Sabato and Glas, Lenzi assembles a first rate cast including the gorgeous Marisa Mell and Rosella Falk who has been in, and indeed been hideously murdered in several of the gialli i've watched recently. Her demise at the hands of Umberto Lenzi is just as memorable as it was in the hands of Luigi Bazzoni and Paolo Cavara.

A Giallo wouldn't be a Giallo without classy kills and Lenzi gives us a taste of things to come in the next decade with a plethora of inventive murders ranging from drowning (Hi Rosella) to power drills. He directs them with flair and no shortage of suspense. The film also has it's fair share of intrigue and plot subtleties especially when it comes to Mell's character. I'd forgotten the twist with her and it came as a pleasant surprise.

Seven Blood-Stained Orchids, the title does mean something, isn't a top level example of Italian thriller cinema but it is a bloody (pun intended) good one.

Old 24th February 2016, 07:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I really like Orchids too - one of my favourite Lenzi gialli.
Old 25th February 2016, 04:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I really like Orchids too - one of my favourite Lenzi gialli.
It's probably my favourite of his.
Old 25th February 2016, 06:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'm attempting some sort of review for In The Folds of the Flesh.

At the moment it's as disjointed and out there as the film itself.

Old 26th February 2016, 12:47 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I hope Arrow or 88 Films puts Orchids out on bluray. It's a great giallo in my opinion.

Like this? Share it using the links below!