Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th March 2017, 06:07 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

The Editor (2016)

Rey Ciso was once Italy's best film editor. However an accident left him with four wooden fingers and he resorted to editing pulp Italian movies like giallo and Poliziotteschi. When the stars of the films Rey works on start turning up dead with their fingers missing Rey is soon the main suspect and sets out to prove his innocence. However the bodies continue to pile up.

The Editor is quite unlike anything i've seen before. It's clearly a send up of the whole Giallo genre and includes numerous moments where i thought to myself "Where have i seen that before?" as it references the films we know and love, from Argento, Fulci and Martino to later offerings such as Eyes of Crystal (2004).

During the opening third i do admit to being confused by it all. Was it a comedy? Was it a straight up Giallo thriller? or was it a needless piss take? But as events unfolded and i got to know the characters it became clear that The Editor was indeed a spoof but a lovingly produced one at that by people who love Italian pulp movies for people who love them. Not a spoof as in Scary Movie and it's countless sequels.

There are quite a few laughs to be had, not in a slapstick way but as genre in-jokes. The line where Ciso asks the police inspector why he's always wearing the same clothes, still tickles me almost a day later in fact. However the film isn't all fun or parody. There are copious amounts of nudity (both female and male) and some genuinely gut wrenching murders that would have graced the genre's finest movies.

Due to the fact that it is a spoof i don't think everyone will like it. However i saw it as charming tribute to one of my favourite film genres and warmed to it far more than other recent attempts to resurrect the Giallo such as Amer (2009), a film that truly was style over substance.

The Editor is highly recommended tribute to Giallo cinema.

Check out the reverse cover artwork below - lovely!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF4514 (Large).jpg (91.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 26th March 2017, 11:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I too love The Editor

Except for the bloody spider

Great review
it needs more fans
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 26th March 2017, 11:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

One of the bits that cracks me up in The Editor is the New York Ripper bit where he's like, 'you're such a good boyyy!!!!' to the dog, just the way he says it hahahaha
Old 17th April 2017, 03:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There's an enjoyable giallo on Music Magpie at the moment with 20% off used.

Redemtion's release of Cold Eyes of Fear. A Castellari thriller set in England.

Cold Eyes Of Fear [DVD] [1970] - DVD - musicMagpie Store
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th April 2017, 04:02 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There's an enjoyable giallo on Music Magpie at the moment with 20% off used.

Redemtion's release of Cold Eyes of Fear. A Castellari thriller set in England.

Cold Eyes Of Fear [DVD] [1970] - DVD - musicMagpie Store
I have the Redemption BD and, if memory serves, really enjoyed it – it's one of those films which I should watch more often.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 17th April 2017, 05:36 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I have that DVD, came free with a subscription to the Dark Side a few years back, decent enough release of a good film
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 17th April 2017, 06:06 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I have that DVD, came free with a subscription to the Dark Side a few years back, decent enough release of a good film
I got mine when they gave them away each issue on the front of DVD World.
Old 17th April 2017, 06:26 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I got mine when they gave them away each issue on the front of DVD World.

I remember that, never bought any myself
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 26th April 2017, 02:32 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Who Saw Her Die (1972)

George Lazenby plays a Venice sculptor whose life is turned upside down when his daughter is murdered. With the police unable to find any clues, Lazenby attempts to find the killer himself.

Who Saw Her Die was only the second gialli i ever bought as part of a four film Anchor Bay set way back in 2002. (The Pyjama Girl Case was the first via a Redemption vhs). Over the years i've seen it several times and it still stands up as one of my all time favourites.

As it's set in Venice it's often compared to Roeg's classic Don't Look Now (1973), but if you are reading carefully you'll already have noticed which film should be compared to which. The Venice we see on screen isn't the popular tourist destination, it's an eerie and atmospheric city, one of shadows and ghosts and complements the action beautifully.

It's a film that deals with the killing of a child in a sensitive manner, director Aldo Lado doesn't assault us with gore and sex. There is sex but it's not for titillation, more a way to deal with loss and grief between two estranged parents sadly reunited in the worst of circumstances. You know the more i think about said sex scene the more i think Roeg swiped it from Who Saw Her Die, the way it's intercut with the two reflecting on events is surely more than mere coincidence. George Lazenby, some three years after his stint as James Bond shows his acting chops with a terrific performance, in fact with his long hair, moustache and frankly craggy face he looks no more the suave secret agent than i do. He's ably supported by the gorgeous Anita Strindberg and a scene stealing cameo from former Bond villain (Thunderball) Adolfo Celi.

Although the film lacks the lurid excesses of many gialli, Lado keeps the pace ticking over nicely, keeping the viewer involved and gripped, as does Ennio Morricone's superb score which is in turns memorable and ever so disturbing with it's child choir to the fore.

Who Saw Her Die is a classy, stylish giallo and one i highly recommend.

Old 26th April 2017, 02:51 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Excellent review – I really rate Who Saw Her Die? and it's one of my favourite Shameless releases. I need to watch it because it has been years, so it's something I'll try and do this weekend.

I'm sure I reviewed the Shameless DVD when it was released and could put the full review on this thread.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!