Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th August 2022, 10:08 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
Definitely noted for this one Dem
It was three or four quid in the recent Classic Films Direct sale although i've seen it before as i've had the Redemption dvd for donkeys years. Think it was a freebie with either The Dark Side or Video World.
Old 14th August 2022, 10:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Fourth Victim. 1971.

Arthur Anderson third wife in a mysterious drowning accident at their home, after the inquest is heard he is not a murderer and cleared, he meets Julie Spence a new neighbour who becomes interested in Arthur.

Michael Craig plays the recently widower Arthur who catches new neighbour Carroll Baker in his pool where his wife died but seems his new found flame has other agenda's about their short meeting that has happened. I wouldn't say this had me gripped or glued to the screen but was interesting to see some good plot twists and turns in it, anything with Carroll Baker is always a pleasant watch.

MV5BMzg3YjA3ZjYtNjFiOC00YzA0LWIyNTYtMmJlNTAxZTRjZjdkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTYxNjkxOQ@@._V1_QL75_UY281_.jpg
Old 15th August 2022, 06:51 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It was three or four quid in the recent Classic Films Direct sale although i've seen it before as i've had the Redemption dvd for donkeys years. Think it was a freebie with either The Dark Side or Video World.
It was The Dark Side

That is where I got my copy from!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 26th November 2022, 07:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Footprints On The Moon. 1975.

A woman tormented of a dream about a astronaut stranded on the moon visits a holiday island where everyone recognises her but she has no memory of knowing the people.

Florinda Boklan takes the lead as the troubled language translator who heads off on holiday but can recall never been there but some people believe she has been there. The film mostly centres on a build up claustrophobia that leads to a sense of paranoia and a good twist to the end. One I never really took to at first but warming up to it.

download (2).jpeg
Old 29th November 2022, 12:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Knife Of Ice. 1972.

A woman who witnessed her parents being killed when she was a child is now mute and still tormented by the memories, finds herself in the middle of a grizzly murders around her.

This isn't gory as other Lenzi films or full of nude women but certainly enjoyable, Carroll Baker plays the adult Martha decently even though she has no dialogue is able to be a good mime artist with her character. This does have a few decent twists as you think the killer is one person then jumps to another then you get the final reveal of the killer. This does have a good direction with cinematography and and haunting background score. Worth a watch.

MV5BMWU1MzQxZWYtMzFkMC00NjkzLThmMGItNWE4OTNkY2NmYzFjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzU4ODM5Nw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg
Old 29th November 2022, 11:37 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Evil Eye. 1963.

Nora travels to Rome and witnesses a murder that the police have dubbed "The Alphabet Killer" who they have tried to capture. The police want Nora's help as she believes that she is to be the next victim.

Letitia Roman plays the troubled tourist teaming with hospital doctor John Saxon who believes Nora is just troubled after the death of her aunt and slowly dwelling down the route of paranoia. Mario Bava uses black and white perfectly for this showing Rome is a beautiful place and also spooky and very atmospheric. This can be quite tense at times and also very enjoyable.

Thegirlwhoknewtoomuch.jpg
Old 30th November 2022, 10:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBarlow View Post
The Evil Eye. 1963.

Nora travels to Rome and witnesses a murder that the police have dubbed "The Alphabet Killer" who they have tried to capture. The police want Nora's help as she believes that she is to be the next victim.

Letitia Roman plays the troubled tourist teaming with hospital doctor John Saxon who believes Nora is just troubled after the death of her aunt and slowly dwelling down the route of paranoia. Mario Bava uses black and white perfectly for this showing Rome is a beautiful place and also spooky and very atmospheric. This can be quite tense at times and also very enjoyable.

Attachment 243653
Which version did you watch? The Italian film titled The Girl Who Knew too Much or the actual Corman American cut Evil Eye which adds comedy to the mix?
Old 30th November 2022, 01:06 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Which version did you watch? The Italian film titled The Girl Who Knew too Much or the actual Corman American cut Evil Eye which adds comedy to the mix?
The Corman American cut.
Old 11th January 2023, 08:29 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Hitcher In The Dark. 1989.

A young man in his dad's camper, travelling the back roads for lone female hitchhikers.

So we got a lone young 20s something kid who's father seems to be doing alright for himself as a business man...legitimate ofcourse. A Winebego as the ultimate perfect vehicle for tying up people and killing them, but the young man seems to be harbouring deep dark thoughts of his deceased mum so our killer has serious mummy issues.

Being directed by Umberto Lenzi I thought this may be interesting until the Filmirage logo appeared, I don't mind Filmirage movies until Killing Birds they really messed up on that movie..ahem sorry back to this...what the heck happened to Lenzi, was he forced to tone down the killings (which must be his lowest kill count) and show the aftermath of a killing. The acting is never the greatest in this and at times generally wonders off the beaten track, I may give this another go but not anytime soon.

88FB478HitcherintheDark2D_1400x.jpg
Old 11th January 2023, 10:21 PM
Cultist

Quote:
I watched the Italian version and absolutely loved it!

Hopefully, I'll watch it with the Tim Lucas commentary sometime this week.

Like this? Share it using the links below!