Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th April 2013, 10:09 AM
digitopolis

Default Suspiria and Inferno are not gialli

I really don't think films like Suspiria and Inferno can be considered gialli at all. If so, you may as well call Zombi 2 a giallo. They're simply supernatural HORROR films because the 'fantastique' elements are far more apparent and are the main focus of the films.

All the Colours of the Dark and Phenomena on the other hand, can be considered examples of 'giallo fantastico' because the mystery is more important.
Old 15th April 2013, 01:31 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought Suspiria and Inferno were really odd choices for the video. Tenebrae and the others featured are gialli but, as you said, Suspiria and Inferno are completely different.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

A giallo is simply a murder mystery, how far the writers or directors ran with them depends on their tastes and what was popular at the time. Suspiria and Inferno are not gialli, there straight supernatural horror films which are different to gialli.
Slippery Jack likes this.
Old 15th April 2013, 07:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

But Suspiria plays with the giallo's generic conventions and even though its a supernatural horror at heart it does start out in the realms of the murder mystery.

There are films that straddle other genres and the giallo, notably Dallamano's giallo-poliziotteschi mash-up What Have They Done to Your Daughters - it's best not to pigeonhole films by saying what they are and aren't.
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 16th April 2013, 06:39 AM
digitopolis

It does play with giallo conventions but only around the beginning with the detectives. I feel that for most of its run-time, it's more of a dark fairy tale with much emphasis on the evil presence that emanates from within the academy. We're not concerned with who or what killed Pat because we pretty much know it's the school. Furthermore, the only clue Suzy comes across are the three irises and she doesn't use this clue until the end so there isn't a whole lot of deducing. Suspiria is definitely a mystery film but it downplays most of the elements that would really make it a 'giallo'. I could go on forever but it'll just get dull and I'm not a genre expert either.

Now onto the topic of gialli in general. My favourite gialli are 'Seven Notes in Black', 'All the Colours of the Dark', 'What Have You Done to Solange?' and 'A Lizard in a Woman's Skin'. I'm also curious to watch some of the 'suspense giallo' films. I've seen 'Perfume of the Lady in Black' which was excellent. I think I might watch 'Orgasmo' and other Lenzi films.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:32 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

My point wasn't that its a giallo, rather those who say that it isn't shouldn't be brushed off as not knowing what they're talking about.

Lenzi's gialli are very good on the whole, as are Martino's.
Beyond72 likes this.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:35 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

A giallo?
That the same as a Cornetto?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 4th May 2013, 03:43 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

If you want it...

codereddvd WEEKEND MURDERS (LIMITED QUANTITY)
Old 6th May 2013, 09:12 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Pre-order up at OMG (10% off):

Spirits of Death - €25,19 : OMG Entertainment

g053584398 and ReturnToZero like this.
Old 6th May 2013, 09:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

What happened to Top Sensation?

Any news on their facebook? (Sorry, I don't have a facebook and they don't have a normal website that I can find!)

Like this? Share it using the links below!