Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Poll: Which kind of giallo do you like best?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Which kind of giallo do you like best?

Like Tree1336Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:43 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Both Lenzi gialli,Knife of Ice is more of a "pre-Argento giallo" and features Carroll Baker.
Both are fine gialli (although Knife could have done with a surprise twist at the end to spice it up imho) but Eyeball's probably my favourite.

Thanks B.

What's the dvd quality of the films like?
Old 22nd March 2015, 09:51 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Eyeball German dvd (English friendly) is good but not exceptional (same as the non-English friendly Italian dvd btw) imho, Knife is probably a rip of the old Japanese dvd (which was pretty good quality if I remember correctly).
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd March 2015, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Eyeball German dvd (English friendly) is good but not exceptional (same as the non-English friendly Italian dvd btw) imho, Knife is probably a rip of the old Japanese dvd (which was pretty good quality if I remember correctly).
Cheers B.
Old 22nd March 2015, 10:11 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Btw I suppose the US dvd of Knife will be anamorphic but the old Japanese dvd wasn't.

[edit] Seems it's also letterboxed.

http://www.eurocultav.com/Reviews/Kn...fe_of_ice.html

http://10kbullets.com/reviews/eyeball/
Old 18th May 2015, 10:14 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

September.

Le venin de la peur, ENFIN en Blu-ray en France - DigitalCiné

Old 19th May 2015, 07:09 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

That looks to be a nice set, although it still hasn't been 100% confirmed if it will contain forced French subs or not.

Also, the company who is releasing it has come under fire from Vinegar Syndrome:

Quote:
Posted by Vinegar Syndrome on their Facebook page:

Recently we discovered that a French home video company is infringing on our rights for both NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR (TRAIN EXPRESS POUR L'ENFER in French) and THE MUTHERS. We hold worldwide rights (minus Australia) for these two titles. But they didn't just blindly grab a territory, they also used our transfer of NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR. They even had the nerve (or stupidity) to leave the Vinegar Syndrome logo at the end of the film!

Now it's one thing to release a film in a territory that you do not have rights in, it can happen for any numbers of reasons: laziness, neglect or just a general lack of understanding of how the copyright law works. It's a whole other thing to steal from another's work, a work that we take great pride in and spend countless hours scanning, restoring, coloring and preserving.

Just wanted to get this information out in the public as we don't want to spend the money, time and effort to take legal action in a foreign territory.

Message to the French home video company:
Stop selling our films immediately, destroy all remaining stock, and add up all the money you've made off of our work and submit a donation in that amount to a film preservation charity such as George Eastman House or Anthology Film Archives. Send the donation receipt to us or we'll reconsider taking legal action.

Also, do some research and check your entire catalog for other infringements (they are there). When you find the infringed works, contact the proper owners and work out a deal. If you need contact information, just ask.

Thanks.
After VS posted this lots of releases 'magically' disappeared from the French distributor's site. It makes me a little wary, and I'll probably just hold out for another release - which there is bound to be now there is a HD master available.
Old 19th May 2015, 12:00 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Separate English subs for the Italian version apparently, not certain yet if this will have forced French subs for the English version.
Optimum already released the StudioCanal (who own the negative) hd master on dvd only in the UK. I doubt this will be a new master.

This seems to be a collaboration with StudioCanal, I can only condemn what LCQF did with VS though.
Old 21st May 2015, 08:06 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Il mostro di Firenze (1986) is coming to limited German blu.

This and L'assassino è ancora tra noi (1986) are actually both based on the same true crime case Monster of Florence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Curious if this will be uncut (I suppose so as it's released unrated) as the old German dvd was cut.

http://www.amazon.de/Night-Ripper-Mo...eywords=giallo
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51epEL2jdsL.jpg (48.9 KB, 4 views)
Old 21st May 2015, 08:24 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

I assume that it isn't English language friendly...?
Old 21st May 2015, 08:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Combo pack (blu + dvd) limited to 1000.
International version in HD
Restored Italian version in HD with SD inserts.

Bildformat: 1,66:1 (1080p)

Tonformat: Deutsch (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo), Italienisch (DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Stereo)

Untertitel: Deutsch, Englisch

And apparently it's uncut.

Like this? Share it using the links below!