Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Horror Chat (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=557)
-   -   The Giallo Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-horror-chat/334-giallo-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 08:24 PM

The Giallo Thread

Discuss any giallo film you may have recently watched here,and wander from film to film (giallo) without worrying about going off topic.....:)

Angel 5th May 2008 08:42 PM

I watched Giallo a Venezia the other day. Sorry but although I enjoy horror films I found this extremely tasteless eg exploitative scenes of rape & torture. Not my scene. And the BBFC will certainly cut into this film if it ever comes their way.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 10:15 PM

Can't wait for the new abus release of TENEBRAE,one of the finest giallo's ever made...;)Anyone know for sure if it's a 'steelbook' release,sure I read that somewhere.......:confused:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 5th May 2008 10:16 PM

Also looking forward to Shameless's What Have They Done To Your Daughters,never seen this,can anyone recommend this without giving us spoilers?

Philleh 7th May 2008 07:42 AM

I can recommend Daughters!! It's fantastic - along with What Have You Done to Solange?

As for the steelbook Tenebrae, I think it's the 5-disc Argento collection that's getting the steel-over! :) Not sure about the two individual releases!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 12:26 AM

Hopefully they will be phill.......is Solange out on dvd......?

Philleh 9th May 2008 07:00 AM

It certainly is Reap, Media Blasters released it some time ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Have-Do...0316399&sr=1-1

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 07:14 PM

Cheers mate.....

Mojo 9th May 2008 07:53 PM

Murder Obsession

Really taking a liking to Riccardo Freda's films and this one is no exception.

This one gets quite a mixed reaction, but I really enjoyed the unusual mix of Giallo and occult horror, including some early special effects by Sergio Stivaletti.

Enough style, atmosphere, gory killings and sleaze to make for a good Shameless release, in fact.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th May 2008 08:01 PM

Christ,I've a LOT of Giallos to buy by the looks of it.....seems like there's dozens I ain't seen......:eek:

Mojo 9th May 2008 08:13 PM

It's released on the Raro label, mate. Recommended.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th May 2008 06:44 PM

Best Giallo?

What's the best Giallo you've ever seen?How did you come about getting into the genre?Where did you first see one?
IF YOUR FAVOURITE IS NOT THERE,THEN MENTION IT--ADVANCE APOLOGIES IF YOUR FAVOURITE AIN'T THERE.....;)

gax 19th May 2008 06:57 PM

had to vote for tenebrae as my 2 faves arnt listed lizard in a womans skin and seven notes in black Fulci rules(but duckling is not as good as tenebrae)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th May 2008 07:09 PM

Yeah Tenebrae is king as far as I'm concerned and have watched it at least 8 times....What have they done to your daughter's really enthralled me,and will certainly give this repeat viewings.....as I say,apologies for any personal faves that are not listed....but feel free to talk about them here anyway.....
I haven't seen Lizard,or Lenzi's SPASMO.....any good these two?

Peter Neal 19th May 2008 07:16 PM

What you'd expect me to vote for except "Tenebrae"!?:D

That movie changed my viewing habits forever for too many reasons to put in one thread.:cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th May 2008 07:20 PM

Put 'em on mate.....unlikely you'd vote for anything else eh?;)...maybe I shouldn't have listed Tenebrae.....:D

gax 19th May 2008 07:33 PM

lizard is very trippy its about lsd feed orgy's happing in swinging london only 1 murder if i rember right but its a great film ive got the 2 disk S/E cost me ?25 (for some reason pounds don't work come out as question marks)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th May 2008 09:39 PM

The Bloodstained shadow....I enjoyed this like Venice set movies.....

Forbidden photos of a lady above suspicion....rubbish got rid of...

Case of the bloody iris.....again enjoyable

Case of the scorpions tail......not bad

Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh....again got rid of......

Black belly of the tarantula ....good ...Giancarlo Gianni....good actor..

still to watch.....
STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER
SHORT NIGHT OF THE GLASS DOLLS
SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYE
WHO SAW HER DIE?

What's everyone else's views on the above?

cloud 20th May 2008 11:53 AM

I would have voted for Tenebrae but that would have been boring so I went for Short Night of Glass Dolls instead. A standout film as it's so different from the norm and the ending is brilliant. Give that one a spin reapmonster, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Jonny 20th May 2008 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5998)

Heresy!! These are two of my favorites!!

What didn't you like about 'Mrs Wardh' reaper72? I think it's one of Sergio Martino's best films.

Top tier Gialli, as far as my tastes are concerned, are Martino's 'All The Colors Of The Dark', Argento's 'Deep Red' and Fulci's 'Don't Torture A Duckling'

Paul@TheOverlook 20th May 2008 02:04 PM

I think MRS WARDH is a great flick too, Jonny. Brilliant, in fact. It's quite similar in tone to PERFUME OF THE LADY IN BLACK and Elio Petri's QUIET PLACE IN THE COUNTRY, both of which are also excellent.

My favourite gialli:

The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1969, Dario Argento)
Deep Red (1975, Dario Argento)
A Lizard In A Woman's Skin (1971, Lucio Fulci)
Don't Torture A Duckling (1972, Lucio Fulci)
Who Saw Her Die? (1972, Aldo Lado)
House With The Laughing Windows (1976, Pupi Avati)
Bay Of Blood (1971, Mario Bava)
The Bloodstained Butterfly (1971, Duccio Tessari)
All The Colours Of The Dark (1972, Sergio Martino)
What Have They Done To Your Daughters? (1974, Massino Dallamano)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2008 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 6037)
Heresy!! These are two of my favorites!!

What didn't you like about 'Mrs Wardh' reaper72? I think it's one of Sergio Martino's best films.

Top tier Gialli, as far as my tastes are concerned, are Martino's 'All The Colors Of The Dark', Argento's 'Deep Red' and Fulci's 'Don't Torture A Duckling'

Never watched it mate.....traded it for TORSO with Cloudy boy.....:D

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2008 06:24 PM

DEEP RED
BIRD WITH THE CRYSTAL PLUMAGE
Could have filled the poll with Argento,but tried to include a variety of films...;)

Jonny 20th May 2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Never watched it mate.....traded it for TORSO with Cloudy boy.....
Shame. You should've at least watched it first. It's better than TORSO imho.

Plus those NoShame releases are getting quite collectible now that they're all out of print. Mrs Wardh's going for 45 quid on Amazon.co.uk 'used and new'

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2008 06:37 PM

Yeah seen that Jonny,been done over by cloud....:D...that's why I'll hold on to SCORPION'S TAIL and give it another whirl...when these first came out on dvd,I wasn't into giallo the way I am now....

Mojo 20th May 2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 5998)
The Bloodstained shadow....I enjoyed this like Venice set movies.....

Forbidden photos of a lady above suspicion....rubbish got rid of...

Case of the bloody iris.....again enjoyable

Black belly of the tarantula ....good ...Giancarlo Gianni....good actor..

still to watch.....
STRIP NUDE FOR YOUR KILLER
SHORT NIGHT OF THE GLASS DOLLS
SEVEN DEATHS IN THE CAT'S EYE
WHO SAW HER DIE?

What's everyone else's views on the above?

Of the above films, I'd say Mrs Wardh, Black Belly, Who Saw Her Die, Glass Dolls and Bloodstained Shadow are the best.

Most disappointing was probably Seven Deaths... Had high hopes for this one, but it didn't do much for me, I'm afraid ( even with Jane Birkin in it ).

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th May 2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 6025)
I would have voted for Tenebrae but that would have been boring so I went for Short Night of Glass Dolls instead. A standout film as it's so different from the norm and the ending is brilliant. Give that one a spin reapmonster, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it.

Watched this tonight cloud.....found it pretty boring mate...:(I prefer a giallo with violenza and black gloved killers....;)....the ending was good though....probably where Stephen King got his idea for a certain short story....

Paul@TheOverlook 21st May 2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 6099)
Shame. You should've at least watched it first. It's better than TORSO imho.

Plus those NoShame releases are getting quite collectible now that they're all out of print. Mrs Wardh's going for 45 quid on Amazon.co.uk 'used and new'

They are - glad I bought all those that I wanted, well, apart from DEVIL IN THE FLESH, but I'll keep an eye out for that one. It's such a shame that the company's US operation seems to have died a death - their releases were top draw and I would have loved to have seen them release some of the bits that they released in Italy (such as SILENT ACTION) with English options.

cloud 22nd May 2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reaper72 (Post 6131)
Watched this tonight cloud.....found it pretty boring mate...:(I prefer a giallo with violenza and black gloved killers....;)....the ending was good though....probably where Stephen King got his idea for a certain short story....

Oh well, horses for courses innit. I did warn you that it was different though, rather than the usual routine I think this is balanced more towards the plot and suspense.

Anyone else like Short Night Of Glass Dolls then? Or am I the only one?

PS, how much did you make on Torso by the way?

Paul@TheOverlook 22nd May 2008 02:58 PM

I've not seen SHORT NIGHT OF THE GLASS DOLLS since I bought the Anchor Bay 'Giallo Collection' back in 2001 - I seem to remember enjoying it quite a lot though.

That's the trouble with gialli. I find that if I've only watched one once, I tend to forget most of what went on, as many are very similar. There are a few non-Argento and Bava gialli that did leave a lasting impression: WHO SAW HER DIE (which is an upcoming Shameless release), Fulci's DON'T TORTURE A DUCKLING, THE PSYCHIC and LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN, Martino's ALL THE COLOURS OF THE DARK, the excellent FIFTH CORD, Ercoli's DEATH WALKS AT MIDNIGHT... There are definitely more, though these are the only examples that instantly spring to mind.

cloud 22nd May 2008 03:01 PM

I think that's the problem with most genre movies, Paul. I certainly struggle to remember a lot of what's gone on films I remember enjoying immensely.

I've got a stack of unwatched gialli waiting to be watched, one day I'll get around to it.

Jonny 22nd May 2008 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 6256)
Oh well, horses for courses innit. I did warn you that it was different though, rather than the usual routine I think this is balanced more towards the plot and suspense.

Count me in as a fan. Recently double dipped on this title and bought the German DVD from Koch Media, lovely PAL 16:9 enhanced transfer and really cool digi pack packaging. Also has a nice 23 minute documentary on Mario adorf (sadly no English options on the doc though)

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/3024/shortmg1.jpg

Paul@TheOverlook 22nd May 2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 6264)
I think that's the problem with most genre movies, Paul. I certainly struggle to remember a lot of what's gone on films I remember enjoying immensely.

I've got a stack of unwatched gialli waiting to be watched, one day I'll get around to it.

I know. I find that when I watch one giallo, spaghetti or poliziotteschi, I tend to get a taste for them all over again, leading to a marathon of a whole bunch over a few days, which is probably another reason why I seem to forget which scene is from what film, if you know what I mean.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd May 2008 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 6256)

PS, how much did you make on Torso by the way?

Eighteen quid mate....done you a turn as mrs wardh wasn't my cup o' tea....as TORSO was all you wanted rid of......well why not make a buck,whilst helping you out.....still miss that bloody artwork.....but the SHAMELESS version is more than ample when it comes to pic quality...:)

cloud 22nd May 2008 05:55 PM

I shall be keeping my other Anchor Bay copy of Torso, it was pointless keeping both copies afterall. Isn't there a sound problem on the Shameless release of Torso? If it wasn't for that I'd have bought a copy by now just to see the beginning as it was meant to be seen.

I heard that NoShame USA were working on an SE of that. Then I heard they had finished, so I'm not sure what the craic is there. I just feel for those who sold their German (Dragon) release of Door Into Darkness. I'm glad I decided NOT to cash in on it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd May 2008 05:58 PM

Want to trade it? mate.....:jest:

cloud 22nd May 2008 06:05 PM

Dream on sunshine! Mind you even if NoShame are still alive and get around to releasing it I dunno if I'd sell mine anyway. I like the artwork, packaging, Luigi Cozzi introduction extras and the booklet (even though I can't speak a word of Deutsch! lol). It also brings back happy memories of returning to England for 3 months in the summer of 2006 :). Yeah, this one is a keeper regardless.

You don't have this one in your collection then reaps? If not then you're missing out big time, it's a classic series. I found every episode to be enjoyable and it was great to see some early (pre-Deep Red) Argento.

Here's a good review: http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=11381

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd May 2008 06:19 PM

I was talking about the abus version mate.....;)

cloud 12th July 2008 08:42 PM

I finally got round to watching Strange Vice Of Mrs. Wardh this evening. It's not a bad film but it didn't really do anything that made me say "OH WOW!". It was an entertaining and absorbing entry though and the last 15 minutes were very good. If I had to rank it alongside others in that sub-genre I'd put it somewhere in the middle, maybe slightly higher. I still rate Torso as Sergio Martino's best giallo.

Jonny 12th July 2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 9678)
I finally got round to watching Strange Vice Of Mrs. Wardh this evening. It's not a bad film but it didn't really do anything that made me say "OH WOW!"

Not even Edwige's masochistic fetish? You're a tough man to please Mr Cloud. I love 'Mrs Wardh'. Not my favourite Sergio Martino/Edwige Fenech collaboration though, ALL THE COLORS OF THE DARK beats this one by a country mile though...