Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat

Like Tree142Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Default Netflix

Apologies if there is an existing thread somewhere, I couldn't find one. I'm tempted to sign up, purely for Eli Roth's Hemlock Grove (it's exclusive to Netflix). I'm not a huge fan of Roth, but I like the concept and the trailer, most especially liking the cast (Famke Janssen, Lili Taylor and Bill Skarsgard).

It will also give me the opportunity to check out some TV Shows I've missed from the start (I don't pirate stuff, and prices of box sets can be a bit of a hurdle for something you're not entirely sure you'll like).

I was wondering about the film selection though, annoyingly the site doesn't give you the full selection until you join. Is anyone a member? I'd love to know how decent their catalog of older horror films is. Particularly 70's and 80's.

I'm not a huge fan of streaming or downloading at all if I'm honest, I prefer a physical product. Considering my backlog is already pretty huge, it's probably not the smartest idea, but £5.99 a month seems pretty cheap, and I am quite hyped for Hemlock Grove.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd April 2013, 02:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It's a pretty pitiful selection unless you manged to get the American version of Netflix which has a load more stuff than the uk.
BAKA likes this.

Last edited by trebor8273; 2nd April 2013 at 03:41 PM.
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

That is my worry . I guess I can always watch the show in a month (all the episodes are released at once, if I'm reading it correctly?) and cancel if it's that bad.
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:40 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

There is some good stuff, put compared to the American version is very lacking in choice, there used to be ways so you could access the American version, not sure if it still works
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:48 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Love Film has got a much better selection of stuff. I was thinking of doing a list of the Horror titles available on each for those who were unsure.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:53 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Love Film has got a much better selection of stuff. I was thinking of doing a list of the Horror titles available on each for those who were unsure.
That would be cool.

I'm not interested in streaming at all, but lists are great.
Pete likes this.
Old 2nd April 2013, 03:56 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Lovefilm has a better selection, but still awful compared to the American version, only problem I found is lovefilm was a pain to cancel subscription compared too Netflix
Old 2nd April 2013, 04:09 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was with LoveFilm for an age (before the streaming; I think they were called Screen Select when I first joined) and they got very pissy with me when I left. Really rude and snarky on the phone, I don't imagine I'll be giving them my custom again anytime soon. Great selection of discs though, not sure what their streaming is like, but they had a lot of great out of print stuff on DVD.

It's mainly the Netflix exclusive shows I'm interested in. Although saying that, I think I remember reading about Amazon commissioning a Zombieland TV Series, which will probably be LoveFilm exclusive in the UK. I hope this stuff shows up on Blu-ray / DVD sometime. Quite interesting to see companies like these commissioning exclusive TV series.

That list sounds pretty daunting, but it'd be hella helpful.
Old 2nd April 2013, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Netflix is pretty good and its extremely easy to get the US version no matter where you live.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 2nd April 2013, 10:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

You can use a little program called spotflux which tells your browser you're from America and lets you use Hulu and Netflix.
UK Netflix is getting better though so discount it completely I use it all the time, it is better for TV series than films, most of the horror films are of the insidious nature, so nothing obscure to speak of, but if your tastes are a little more broad there is a wide selection of documentaries, stand up comedy, TV series, and 'classics'.
It's worth a go, it's only 5.99 and you can cancel on the website without speaking to any of rude staff.
BAKA and trebor8273 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!