Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > Horror > General Horror Chat
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree40Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th November 2011, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I did not read all posts in this thread, it was too confusing - I love Zombi 2 (or Woodoo as it was called when I saw it at a cinema at the age of 14 - shortly before I saw Dawn otD for the first time - it shaped my taste in films, some might say "not in a good way" I tend to disagree to that.

There are worlds between Dawn and Zombi 2, but still, Fulcis film holds the flame high and bright in this genre, I did not see much bad in it when I recently rewatched it on the excellent BD from Blue Underground...
Old 16th November 2012, 12:02 PM
Cult Rookie

for me zfe is best zombie pic made(i do love the romero's first 3 dead pics) but zfe has real downbeat feel,which a horror movie i think should have,don't get me wrong it does have its faults but i can forgive them,i just love the island setting,the begining is stunning and the photography and sfx are up there,in my view anything hollywood could produce.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:58 PM
Active Cultist

Not watched it for a while but i do rank it as one off the all time best zombie films. Dawn was good but the protagonists feel too safe at times, in Fulci's film you feel that there is no safety and no way to escape.
Old 16th November 2012, 02:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

While i agree that ZFE is a fantastic zombie movie,for me personally it ranks at number 3 in my all time favourite zombie movies. One and two being Day of the dead 1985 and Dawn of the dead from 1978. I'm really looking forward to the bluray release of ZFE from Arrow.
Old 9th January 2013, 09:46 AM
Cultist

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but I'm sure someone has already mentioned that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. One major factor, especially in this genre, is how old you were when you first discovered it. The younger you were, weather you were scared, grossed out, or simply amused by it matters quite a bit if you ask me. One can't deny the "nostalgia factor" when relating to our favourite horror flix.

xboxlive: TwitchofDethNrv
Old 9th January 2013, 09:56 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I was 18 when I first saw it in the first Box of the Banned set and it was the best film there. just before Christmas there, I bought the 2 disc Arrow version. Brilliant commentaries and special features!
Old 9th January 2013, 10:01 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've already said it, but even if I put my nostalgia to one side, if you compare it to similar productions of the time it was a pretty amazing achievement by Fulci & co. And if you look at the Zombie genre as a whole, surely it ranks as one of the best, outside of the Romero films.
ArgentoFan1987 likes this.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:34 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampix View Post
The Beyond & House by the Cemetery are the ones I find a chore to sit through, especially Cemetery.
I agree, especially with Cenetery. I do really like The Beyond, but despite it having more big set-pieces than any of his other films something about it leaves me slightly cold. Maybe the score - probably my least favourite Frizzi score.

My faves out of his big horror flicks are probably:

1. ZFE
2. COTLD
3. The Beyond
4. New York Ripper (much better than I'd expected, only saw it recently, although it took me two watches to really like it, gets better with every viewing)

I don't even consider House a fave - never got into it, and I've given it several attempts (could be that kid's fault). Recently saw DOn't Torture A Duckling for the first time, really liked that even though it's pretty all over the shop. Lizard In A Woman's Skin soon, then I'll delve into the lesser entries. Seen Cat In The Brain and The Black Cat, thought both were pretty gash but still enjoyably mental!
Old 9th January 2013, 10:48 AM
Cultist

A long shot maybe, but anyone who's been disappointed by ZFE when watching it for the first time recently might actually be pleasantly surprised by Living Dead At The Manchester Morgue - it suffers from even worse dubbing and a slower pace but arguably has better characters, a creepier atmosphere and similarly amazing cinematography, soundtrack, downbeat tone, and scary zombies. I only saw it for the first time a few years ago and thought it was a bit too slow but it actually gave me a nightmare, then I watched it again and really got into it. It's really creepy, has some good gore too but you have to remember that it was made more towards the start of the 70s. Really strong and unusual film though, highly UNDER-rated IMO.
Old 9th January 2013, 10:50 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

...Manchester Morgue is inordinately better than Zombi 2 in my book.

Like this? Share it using the links below!